What category of hangun do you EDC?

• Single Stack

• Double Stack

• Revolver

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
what probably would be interesting is a break-down of age with the the available choices.....

i got a feeling that the majority of the revolver votes are from the older crowd....

the single stacks are probably evenly spread...from young to middle age to old....

and the double stacks are the younger crowd.....

i have no facts or info to back that up.......pure speculation.....and not derogatory.....
i will be reaching aging 60 in less than six months, and normally carry revolvers, but, my first handgun, at age 21, was an autoloader, a 1911. At the time, I thought revolvers were quaint, and beginning into obsolescence. At age 22, however, I was hired by a police department, that required us to use revolvers during the academy, and then carry only DA revolvers, and three specified shotguns, for all defensive purposes, on and off the clock, during our first year of sworn service. I reckoned that it was a best practice to thoroughly learn how to revolve around, and, learned to love ‘em.

Now that I think about it, though, age 59/60 may not be “older crowd,” in this forum.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
what probably would be interesting is a break-down of age with the the available choices.....

i got a feeling that the majority of the revolver votes are from the older crowd....

the single stacks are probably evenly spread...from young to middle age to old....

and the double stacks are the younger crowd.....

i have no facts or info to back that up.......pure speculation.....and not derogatory.....
I'd guess you're probably pretty close.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I’ve been carrying a single stack with a revolver as back up though sometimes a small auto gets used as BUG instead of a wheel gun. I can substitute a double for about the same thickness I’ve gravitated back to 1911s as my primary.

·
Registered
219 Posts
At this time, it's mostly what my dept. dictates as our duty pistol, which is a Sig P229R DAK .40 cal. When off-duty during the late spring, summer and early fall, it's either a S&W 3953 9mm, Sig P365 9mm or a S&W 442 .38 Spcl. When I retire in a few years, it'll be what I want.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
1911 all day every day. I have a double stack, but have migrated from it to a 1911 in the same caliber, 40. When I'm able to lay hands on enough 10mm to finish testing out the gun, a 10mm 1911 will be added to the rotation. My double stack has virtually the same manual of arms, including the safety swipe. It's basically for travel, where I can put 13+1 in the gun, plus 26 more in 2 spare mags for a total of 40, where I'd have to carry 4 spare mags with the 1911 to get the same amount. If ammo and components become readily available again, it might double as a gaming gun for open In USPSA.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I carry a 1911 Commander in 45 ACP on my right hip.
My BUG is a BUL armory SAS II with 20 rounds of 9mm in a cross draw holster on my left.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I carry one of three P365ms versions almost exclusively. When I carry something other than these, it is most often a p938 or 238. I have a couple others that have seen some carry time but not much lately, so if you equate p365 versions with single stack, then single stack is what I carry most often.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm just curious to know in this day and age, what type of handgun everyone is conceal carrying the most? I know some have some type of rotation, but if you had to choose one, or if you carry one in particular more than the others, which one is it?

Note: I'm going to include the new hybrid pistols like the P365, Hellcat, Shield Plus, and Ruger Max 9 in the "Single Stack" category being that they're still about the same thickness and have more similarities to single stacks.
Although a maverick in this era of 9mm-crazy, kudos to your wise choice of a Hellcat if 9mm suits your taste.
Shirt tail in = me as a professional serving others as entrepreneur, so holster in pocket is my only way to carry.
Was very very happy with 357mag Ruger LCR + CT green laser+ PD ammo selected from Lucky Gunner Labs tests until
a Springfield deal MOD.2 45acp 3.3." came along, capacity, power & defensive rated higher on Genitron. Adding night sights, CT green laser, the only regrets at first were getting used to the added weight and at times "pants falling down" threats if belt not cinched up like a saddle on a bronc.

But I'm hooked, these are the pros
Fits hand FINALLY like been shopping for since 2012
Tack hammer groups unlike 357mags for me (over 70 but golf athlete)
Ranger t-series +p makes me power AND penetration happy out of a 3.3" than a 2" 357mag and certainly a 9mm +p
45 = 11.5mm cavities, so I might be able to run away a bit sooner
Field reports of 9mm needing more than one shot to stop the misaction, some using all those extra shells they carry
What it does to a watermelon
Longer mags can be had
Trigger SUPERIOR to glocks ... at least the ones I've been sold and then see all the after market triggers for glocks - where there's smoke (market) there might be fire (trigger problem or preferences against it)

This is all my humble opinion as only an enthusiast, not a professional, trainer or even wise ass.
Not picking a fight!
I under stand different size/strength grips/hands, preferences and rally points (I myself am part Austrian, so cheered my 1st Glock (27); I understand fully the glock market now that ranges from out-of-box leave-it alone and enjoy to "Barbie-doll" ready to accept hundreds of dollars of tinkering and trinkets applied to it to police/other forces seeing a great deal that probably comes with free "flat tire" services (send lemons back for a brand new one).

Bottom line after all this time/money invested in pocket carry = if it doesn't have these things, not interested:
Fits hand!!!!
Bulleseyes come easy from 15-33ft
Min. TKO of "9" ref Common Handgun Cartridges
Barrel length must support the "power" above
Fits in pocket safely, EZ draw & fire accurately
Crimson Trace green laser (tried the rest, forgetaboutit)
Night sights top-o-line preferred
Price is not an object - it's a marriage designed to protect lives

THE END

41 - 60 of 87 Posts