Defensive Carry banner

What condition do you carry your 1911 style pistol?

• Condition 2 – Round in the chamber; hammer down; full magazine in gun.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Condition 4 – Chamber is empty; hammer down; NO magazine in the gun.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Condition 0 – Round in the chamber; hammer cocked; thumb safety is OFF; full magazine in gun.

Condition 1 – (Also known as “Cocked and Locked”)- Round in the chamber; hammer cocked; thumb safety is ON; full magazine in gun.

Condition 2 – Round in the chamber; hammer down; full magazine in gun.

Condition 3 – Chamber is empty; hammer down; full magazine in gun.

Condition 4 – Chamber is empty; hammer down; NO magazine in the gun.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Majority I'd think would go condition 1 or 2.

Condition 0 is too unsafe, 3 I would think would cause problems in a high stress situation (fumbling around trying to chamber a round), and 4 is pointless. At that point you don't really have a gun, you have a really expensive club.

I haven't carried a 1911 (yet), but when I do, it'll be condition 1.

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
My self I feel Condition 1 is the safest if the gun is loaded and one in chamber.

·
Premium Member
24,512 Posts
Condition 1 for me. Would not even consider carrying in Condition 0.

·
Registered
20,078 Posts
Condition ONE!!

·
Registered
565 Posts
I saw this hard-ass cop on a tv show my wife was watching pull out his 1911 and cock the hammer. 'Course we all realize it was done for affect. I didn't tell The Old Girl that nobody carries a 1911 in condition 2.
Sorry. My bad. What were we talking about? :spankme:

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Never a doubt. Condition 1. :yup:

·
Super Moderator
22,274 Posts
The only time I've carried condition 4 is carried in my range bag going to an indoor range :smile:
I didn't even realize there was a condition 4.

One for me.
As originally coined/developed by Jeff Cooper, you are correct, there was no condition 4. People have added two additional conditions 0 and 4, they weren't original to Cooper's system to define the state of readiness of the 1911-pattern pistol.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Not sure what "condition" it is, but my wife carries full mag,hammer back, safety off, but no round in the chamber. A very light pull back on the slide and its ready to fire,, This is with a Sig P238, which is similar to a little 1911, but may not be identical in all functions.. With the hammer back, the slide is ridiculously light, and she feels it would be just as quick to chamber a round than to disengage the thumb safety with her arthritic fingers... bob

1 - 20 of 87 Posts