Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay rocky got me to thinking... what configuration should an AR newbie start with? My intended purpose is twofold:

1.Killing zombies.
2.Training. There's local instructors who do weekend seminars on how to use the AR15 carbine most effectively.

Enlighten me.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
if i was buying Again .... I would go with a HBAR flattop with the M4 6 postion stock and the good adjustable sights on the carry handle and the flip up sight for the front ...

Might cost a little more but still

I have a Std 16 inch HBAR now has the 6 postion stock but would still love a flattop

I have never replaced a part in my Bushmaster orther than the rear stock change been a good gun with lots of rounds

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
The Flattop i want for mounting a scope for Varmint hunting you can mount a scope on my carry ahndle but its way high and awkward.

The 6 postion stock is so you can pick right length for you depending on what your wearing .. LOP(length of pull) for me is not Same for old lady and she like the AR..

The backup Sights well that explaines that

As to 16-20 inch barrel thats personal Choice I have 16 now but would like to add a 20 inch flattop to mine

But the 16 is fun to again all personal preferance

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
1.Collaps. stock- adjustable length of pull, handy short overall length, 2.Carbine 16" barrel-shorter overall length- either a light weight or m4 profile. hbar barrels are heavy. 3. Flattop- ease of optics changes- scope to dot to irons. 4. 4 railed hand guard- Lots of mount options - bipod, flashlights, lasers, vertical grips, ect. , you can just use rail covers if no accesories are used 5. A2 flashhider-less muzzle flash- lower noise than muzzle brakes.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Heck - the biggest ''hole'' in all my gunnie knowledge is AR's - and quite likely - I'll never get one!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Bud - you are a star!

My Mini does enough with that cal and then - onwards and upwards to my FAL :smile:

Hey - grab this my friend -

LOL - :banana:

·
Registered
749 Posts
M4 with an A2 upper...it works great and the kids can shoot it

·
Registered
686 Posts
Euc,

I'm pretty sure that surefire makes both a front end rail system, and has rail covers that come with. From what I've read, it's a little more pricy then some of the other rail systems, but does come back to a true home because it is so rigid.

Again, just passing on some of what i've read.

--Jim

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
LOts of rail manufacturers and several cover options too. You can spend from $60 for fobus railed handguards to several hundred for top end stuff.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Honestly, if I did an AR15 I would first learn how to work it, and then several months down the road I'd worry about the gadgets. Even then I'd probably just want some maybe kind of optic and some kind of light and that would be fine for me.

·
Registered
940 Posts
If I'm going to be using an AR within the legal limits (16" barrel minimum), I want 16" of barrel, not 11.5" with a 5" tube that only destroys ballistics or similar things. I want an extra 2" of sight radius, etc. I want handguards that take advantage of that. I don't want an extra 2" of pipe sticking out. I also want a heavy barrel. On a 16" gun, that's no big deal as far as weight is concerned, but I'm also used to my FALs.

For me, that meant the only option was really the RRA Elite CAR upper in a mid-length configuration. I also will only buy a flattop - the thing should have been built that way from the get-go.

I also have no need for four sided-rails and most of the other stuff. I do have BUIS with the rail extension and a red dot that's permanently mounted to extension for zero in the event that I actually remove the night vision scope.

Resale hurts you with a A2 only option these days big-time.

Any of the major brands (RRA/Colt/Bushmaster) will deliver quality rifles with good resale value.

Don't get me wrong - for me the AR is a special purpose rifle (light enough to be effective when moving with a night vision scope) only.

But I think I've pretty well outlined my how and why.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
rfurtkamp said:
If I'm going to be using an AR within the legal limits (16" barrel minimum), I want 16" of barrel, not 11.5" with a 5" tube that only destroys ballistics or similar things. I want an extra 2" of sight radius, etc.
THAT is the best point I've heard and I agree. I see so many of these things with suppressors and whatnot welded onto the barrel. I concur.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Bud White said:
if i was buying Again .... I would go with a HBAR flattop with the M4 6 postion stock and the good adjustable sights on the carry handle and the flip up sight for the front ...

Might cost a little more but still

I have a Std 16 inch HBAR now has the 6 postion stock but would still love a flattop

I have never replaced a part in my Bushmaster orther than the rear stock change been a good gun with lots of rounds
I'm 100% with you on this one, Bud. I'd add either a low power ACOG sight or a Holo Sight.

·
Registered
749 Posts
What I built, and if you're going to buy I suggest building. Segway:
Go to your local gun store and buy a good stipped lower reciever. Then go to Model1sales.com and order a full kit. You will save about $200, you learn the weapon well and have the pride of saying "I built it!"
Anyway, M4 config with the A2 upper. Love the collapsible stock, the kids acna shoot it easily.

·
Super Moderator
13,056 Posts
Euc,

I've got an Armalite flat top and a carbon fiber model. I like'em but I rarely shoot them any more - don't know why. As of late, I've pondered the role of the AR type weapon for a civie and especially as home defense weapon. Indoors, with no ear protection, the muzzle blast of these things must be nearly incapacitating. I suspect it would be well beyond the threshold of pain. Once your hearing has basically shut down by the muzzle blast, you are at an extreme disadvantage. The muzzle flash would likely shut down your night vision.

I've about decided to go with my 9mm Beretta Storm (carbine) as a home defense gun. A 9mm handgun cartridge fired through the rifle length barrel shouldn't have near the muzzle blast and all the powder of a handgun cartridge should burn before the bullet exits the barrel so there shouldn't be much of a muzzle flash. It is light, compact, short, agile, holds twenty-one rounds and doesn't have a big magazine sticking down in the front of the gun. While it doesn't have the range of a .223, it is good out to 100 yards and I can't imagine needing to shoot in self-defense over 30 yards and the 9mm is certainly effective at that range and the Storm is more than precise at that range.

Just some things to think about. But if this is for purely home defense or SHTF scenarios I'm not sure the AR15 is the best choice. But, I hope others will express their thoughts about this.

But, of course if the justification is you're wanting a AR type rifle, that's justification enough!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts