Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all!

I hate to admit it, but I am addicted to the "cop shows" on TV. I spend way too much time watching these shows, but I must admit I'm beginning to think that they demonstrate some pretty bad tactics and have poor weapon choices.

For example, I watched a show the other night where some of the main characters pursued a bad guy through a sewer system with pistols drawn while a SWAT officer followed closely behind with full body armor and what looked like an MP5. Now maybe I'm wrong, but if I was a LEO in that situation (which I am not) I would definitely want to be behind the guy with the MP5 and armor!

That being said, I would love to hear from those (with real tactical experience) what shows get it right in regards to good tactics, and correct weapon choices for the job at hand ... and what shows need to hire a technical advisor because they get it all wrong.

I realize that this may be a little out of the realm of concealed carry and more in lines with LEO tactics, but hey I'm bored while at home on a long weekend :smile:

·
Registered
238 Posts
You might be better off getting an education for your own enjoyment. There are a few different schools of thought on how to move in a "tactical" environment - guns out - threat imminent.

I can't think of a single movie that get's it right and TV shows are poorly narrated highlight reels to my mind.
Once you "know" you will not be able to watch a movie/TV without critique.
There's always something new to learn or something you don't know.

Should be an interesting thread.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was watching an episode of COPS and the officer drew down and approached a perp carrying "gangsta" style.
Maybe they were "gangsta" cops :smile:

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
One thing these shows do well...(especially 'Criminal Minds'), is to make the case for CCW. The victims/sheep never have a chance. They're helpless prey for the most vicious predators.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Could I suggest a BOOK every now and then :wink: J/K

H/D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
One thing these shows do well...(especially 'Criminal Minds'), is to make the case for CCW. The victims/sheep never have a chance. They're helpless prey for the most vicious predators.
Yes, this is true. It's too bad they NEVER show a legally-armed CCW private citizen defending himself . But I suppose if any network dared to do that, then the POTUS cronies would come down hard on them, like they recently did to FOX.

-

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
I love the way cop shows ignore Miranda, the 4th and 5th amendments, the accused's right to consult an attorney. I also love the way they threaten to lean on anyone who attempts to assert their rights

Actually, I guess on that point they're spot on

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've seen hundreds of episodes of the TV series "Cops," and have lost count of the number of times I've seen an officer draw down on or hold a suspect at gunpoint with their finger on the trigger. Don't know if this is what they are taught at the academy or not, but it really makes me wonder.

-Seawolf

·
Super Moderator
18,108 Posts
I dont think any of the "cop shows" get it right, in fact its got to the point that I cant stand watching them.

I used to watch them to see how not to act.

Now, most of them just piss me off.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I've heard a few DAs and other law enforcement officials complain about the CSI shows. Jurrors see it on TV and expect the same thing in the court room. If they don't see it then he must not be guilty.

·
Registered
866 Posts
The "CSI EFFECT" yea we have it up here too..... Every Cop/military show I have seen gets it wrong 95% of the time - its almost sad to see how poorly police/military tactics are depicted in movies and film. The TV show "Cops" is mind numbingly hard to watch - I just sit there most of the time thinking to myself "where is the cover officer" "are you going to properly secure your prisoner?" "Did you just put that prisoner into your car without searching them?" "why are you standing directly in front of the door when knocking?!" ..... etc etc etc.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Cop Shows get it Right??

Down here in Fulton County Ga, where even the Court House is not safe, the first two questions for Jury Duty is "What was your last involvement witha Law Enforcement officer? and What Police Shows do you watch on TV?? My answers are, I build DUI Task Force Cars for the city of XXXXXXXXX, and watch all of the current "Cops" shows to see how not to do policing......
I am the first or second struck from the Jury Pool. After my last appearance for Jury Duty a week before the Courthouse Shooter in Fulton County, I will not be answering anymore Summons. You see the Summons goes out in regular mail and not Certified or Return Receipt requested so they do not know it even got to me. Lived in Gwinnett County for 20 years and got served once, now living in Fulton County and have had 3 service requests in 8 years. What is wrong with this picture???

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
How did this thread go from asking which "cop shows" get tactics right to bashing LEOs in every other aspect?

Lighten up a little fellas.

·
Registered
866 Posts
NY27 - how ya figure? saying that the shows get it wrong isn't bashing cops. As far as the show "Cops" well.... lets just say the places depicted in the show do things... "differently" :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've seen hundreds of episodes of the TV series "Cops," and have lost count of the number of times I've seen an officer draw down on or hold a suspect at gunpoint with their finger on the trigger .Don't know if this is what they are taught at the academy or not, but it really makes me wonder.

-Seawolf
YouTube - Police Officer Shoots Him Self In The Leg!

Prolly been here a hundred times but still funny. I like the the reaction when he pulls out the AR.lol

And there is this one YouTube - Female Cop

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I used to work in television production while I lived in Los Angeles. I can tell you that television programs are designed to generate revenue first, and push an agenda second. Accuracy isn't even on the list of priorities. In fact, Executive Producers not-so-jokingly refer to their own shows as "filler material" (something to eat up time between commercial breaks).

For every show you see on a network, there are literally hundreds that have been completed (cast, shot, edited, formatted, delivered, and paid for) that will never see air time. The shows that do get on the air have already been measured against very thorough and expensive marketing research in order to reach the desired demographic.

If a show "gets it right" on anything to do with the portrayal of military or law enforcement personnel/procedure, I can assure you it is purely accidental. The closest thing you'll get to any kind of truth is going to be City Confidential, Cold Case Files, or one of those shows because they are constructed on actual case details. Try to take the horrible "re-enactments" with a grain of salt.

I used to watch Law & Order all the time (the original, not the spin-offs) because it entertained me; but I wasn't careless enough to think I was actually being informed.

·
Super Moderator
25,562 Posts
At least there are now some cop shows that don't have the cop racking the slide when he pulls his weapon! :image035:

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
At least there are now some cop shows that don't have the cop racking the slide when he pulls his weapon! :image035:
But there are several that do.
I was watching an episode of Flashpoint a few months back and the bad guy was Ex-military or Ex-cop, I don't remember which now. He was trying to kill a serial killer that the flashpoint swat team members were supposed to be protecting/transfering.

The bad guy is in a room getting ready to go out after the serial killer. He takes his 45, racks the slide and puts it in his pants or holster under jacket. Then a few minuted later as he approches hallway intersection to meet up with the swat team/serial killer crew he draws weapon and racks the slide a second time.

I think to myself, isn't he going to stop and retrieve the round he just spit out on the ground?

I guess the screen writer just loves the action and sound of the auto being racked.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts