Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always carried Hornady critical duty in my CC guns (glock 19, kahr cm9, and now S&W Shield 9mm). Hornady has always did well with my first two cc guns. However, it is harder to find Hornady defensive ammo. I read that a lot of people love Golden Sabre for their shield. I would like know what other shield owners have shot. With the price of defensive ammo and the lack of availability, I want to make sure I start with the right ammo selection. I will shoot a few boxes throught it just to make sure my gun likes the ammo. However, I do not want to go through a lot of ammo that is known to give the shield problems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
yep. hard part for me is finding more SD ammo. kinda running low since i used up a good bit trying them out on my shield that i just bought last week.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Mine chews up and spits out pretty much whatever I feed it. I feed it mostly Hornady Critical Duty and Winchester Ranger Bonded.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks srings.....with my normal carry ammo running dry... i am force to try different sd ammo...thanks again

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Shields like everything you feed them including licorice sticks...... :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
I saw a Shield 9mm being sold in a LGS last weekend at the low price of $799...and no it wasn't a two pack of them like they sell toothpaste.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The stuff that goes boom.

Everything that I have put in it, it has liked... so I am now looking for something heavier than a 115-grain. Right now, I have two 8 round mags full of 115-gr UMC JHP, and a 7 and a 8 round mag with 105 grain Federal Premium Guard Dog EFMJ.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
It may not be so much of what you want to use as much as it is what you can find to use.

As ammo is sparse of late. And depending on where you do find it, it can either be scalped or reasonably priced.

From what I hear though, that may not present so much of ah problem with the Shield; as it will be with other firearms. Because it, the Shield, doesn't seem to be ah fussy eater.

good~luck in your search for 9mm anything :tired:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Mine's liked everything I've fed it. I settled on 124gr Federal HSTs in my Shield, and I went with the 147gr in my longer barrel 9mms.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I saw a Shield 9mm being sold in a LGS last weekend at the low price of $799...and no it wasn't a two pack of them like they sell toothpaste.
If anyone wants one for $799 PLEASE let me know! I'd sell mine in a sec for 800 bucks and pretty sure my dad and both my boys would too! So $1596.00 some out there can own 4 Shields!

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
Anything.

None of my M&P's, including the Shield 9, have ever had a malf of any kind, through a wide range of bullet styles, weights, and manufacturers.

Disclaimer: As discussed in another thread, I don't run steel-case ammo, but everything else works fine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hornady Critical Duty in my early edition Shield

Last year when the Shield's first came out, I picked one up and immediately liked it. I did find that the Hornady 135 grn +P Critical Duty, was the only round it did not like (I felt it was because of the longer over all length compared to the Critical Defense round). Sent it back to S&W, got it back in a few days, and it has been perfect ever since.

I just found this thread and agree that the Shield will feed just about anything you put in it. What a great gun.

Trooper Joe

·
Registered
773 Posts
Now that I got mine factory repaired it ran xtp, critical duty, and pdx1 +p . When shields work they will work with anything.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
for 2"-3" barrel "micro-compacts" (like the Nano I carry) I recommend Speer Gold Dot "short barrel" 9mm ammo. It's designed specifically for these super-short barreled handguns that otherwise don't give a chance for sufficient powder burn before the round leaves the barrel, and thereby increase the muzzle velocity a bit with the "SB" designation ammo. Speer's page has listings for the ammo box codes. GDHP-SB, then whatever the code is for your caliber, weight, and pressure.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Just to Update this list I ran 50 rounds @ $50 bucks of Hornady Critical DUTY 135g 9mm +P through my Shield today with out a problem

1 - 20 of 20 Posts