Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From a news article on Fox:

"After entering the 8-foot-by-8-foot bunker - which was also 20-feet-long - the deputies found an arsenal of weapons including two shotguns, a rifle, a handgun, three knives, ammo and a bow with arrows fashioned from “snowplow stakes,” Milwaukee County Sheriff Earnell Lucas said at a news conference Friday."

So, in this scenario 2 shotguns, 1 rifle, 1 handgun, 3 knives, a bow and arrows constitutes an "arsenal".

The guy was living in a bunker he made on college land near a river. No issues with bothering others (shot off a shotgun but not at anyone), no political statements, no agenda except to be left alone and the LEOs had the temerity to say:
“Let’s just be thankful that this didn’t manifest itself in a way, that it could’ve been more. We could be investigating something totally different,” Lucas said.

So, what precisely constitutes an "arsenal"?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/milwaukee-weapons-stash-hermits-underground-bunker-woods

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
An arsenal is defined as anything more than grandpa's old single-shot shotgun OR (not AND) .22 with a half box of shells from the 70's. The shotgun and .22 together would be an arsenal.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
before long having a single gun and more ammo than can fit in the magazine will be an arsenal. The word sounds scary, so people are easily convinced that if that word is used, it must be an abnormal amount of guns/ammo.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
When it come to arsenals, they count like Marines. One, two, many, infinite.
@LimaCharlie has now revealed Marines counting method.

By the numbers a four count movement: One, two, sir what comes after two.

I was once sent to photograph captured VC arms. When I came back to HQ the intelligence officer asked me how many weapons were there. I replied:"Lots." He said was it an arsenal? My reply was" I'd call it a cache. He asked how many weapons in a cache. I relied: More than one sir. (IT IS A TRUE STORY.)

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
“...two shotguns, a rifle, a handgun, three knives, ammo and a bow with arrows...”

I mean, is there anyone here who doesn’t have this in only one closet?
Me. No bow or arrows any more. I now have 2 shotguns, more than 1 rifle, and more than one handgun though.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Arsenal, n., a football (i.e., soccer) team, or "club," which performs in a public stadium in Islington, a Borough of the City of London, England.

There. Does that help? :lolp:

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
The term "Arsenal" is entirely subjective and depends on what state you are in.

In Arkansas, anything less than 50 guns is a simple collection.

In Texas, about the same.

In New Jersey, it is one single shot .22 that is at least 70 years old, a .22 single action six-shooter and an old single shotgun that only works about half the time.

In Massachusetts, it can be a dozen bottle rockets, two rolls of caps for a cap gun, a dull knife and a Ruger 10/22 Automatic Assault Weapon with half a box of .22 shells.

In New York, most LEO's can't count past the number of fingers on their hands so if there are more guns than fingers, it is an ARSENAL. They will put out articles of how they saved the whole state from a madman and what might have happened.

IN Illinois, Chicago in particular, possession of an illegally converted MAC 10 and two 30 rounds mags is considered an arsenal.

Now here's a fact. I have friends that own 10's of thousands of rounds of ammo in ammo cans. Some have Tannerite to shoot and have fun with. They own every manner of weapon, bolt action "sniper rifles", every kind of "assault weapon" and all sorts of accessories for such. Multiple handguns, both semi-auto instruments of death and lots of revolvers.

I have often wondered how some new reporters would report that if anything ever went wrong. I'm sure some of them would freak out, swoon, and probably ask the Arkansas State Police for personal protection details... when most of us would say..." well...he's got a good start". They would report an arsenal with 10s of thousands of rounds and bomb-making materials and a multitude of dangerous automatic assault weapons or some silly stuff like that.

It would be sensational.

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
If the media were to look in my safe they would claim I have enough weapons to arm a third world country.
If they got me, you would know about it. It would be national...maybe even global.

I kid you not. :blink: :gah:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I consider an arsenal to be “more than I can carry” in normal terms. Here in California, narrow that definition to be what one can carry with one hand. In San Francisco, one hand, after your wrist has been broken. In next door Arizona, I think an arsenal would be defined as whatever you can load into a bobtail within three hours using a forklift. So it’s a term with a meaning that varies by region and politics. Personally, I crossed the CA definition about 20 years ago...

·
Registered
596 Posts
I often laugh when I see what the news proclaims an arsenal.

Sheeeeesh, I have more than that in my living room.......

Oh, and always look carefully at the tables showing the offending weapons, because you will often note that they have a shotgun, a Daisey BB gun, a Nerf gun, and three air softs. I kid you not..... :yup:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts