·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #41

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Four guns does not make an arsenal.

A very liberal co-worker asked me why anyone would need more than one gun. I had to explain to her that each type of gun, and caliber, had very different purposes.

You need to have a gun for various hunting types:
- grouse/pheasant
- geese
- duck
- whitetail deer
- small critters (varmint was not a term they understood)
- big game rifle
- safari rifle (for the African hunts - giant brown bears)
- self defense guns
- hunting/trail handguns
- fancy gun to wear and show off

Most importantly, you should always have a backup gun for any task you use a gun regularly for as well. I stressed the importance of that.

She thought I was insane. I did mention that guns were like shoes, because it was a female co-worker, and she still didn't get it.

Needless to say, the typical gun closet/cabinet/safe most hunters have would scare the pants off of liberals. Mine is no exception.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Somewhat related. In attending a 6-year-olds birthday party (our Grandson in CA Folson) One of the parents ended up talking to me (Me with the English accent from our new home in Orlando FL, visiting) somehow carrying legal firearms was introduced into the conversation?

He was aghast! "I suppose we will see you in court, on the news, mass shooter, unprovoked kills innocents, in Florida") Funny you should say that said I, but a year ago my wife was stalked by two hood rats, pants hanging down, no cart or basket, to all the way out of a Publix Supermarket. I was reading my Library Book outside, in the parking lot, don't like shopping! In a phone conversation, I informed my very savvy wife, to slowly walk up to the Auto exit door, then speed up, past me, and one of my Sons Security Jeeps, under the overhang.

Me in Glock hat, open shirt. Very visible Security Vehicle. The one on my left watching my wife, his partner just scanning! A hand grabbed an arm, they both took off like rabbits, to the street, and gone. Age early 20s!
My wife was driving their jeep. No weapons were seen, pants under their axxxx! Range 5M a pair of double-taps would have been delivered, except no weapons, were seen. A glance at my I-watch 90 BPM! My wife was as cool as a cucumber. I am so glad that my Glock 19 did not need to be utilized, that would have been a nightmare.

Ordinary Citizens do not need to carry concealed? We live in a SAFE! District, oh yes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I cannot even imagine what the progressive left would think of some of our reloading setups. Where we don't count how many pieces of brass we have, but count how many five gallon buckets full of brass we have. Same goes ammo cans.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I cannot even imagine what the progressive left would think of some of our reloading setups. Where we don't count how many pieces of brass we have but count how many five gallon buckets full of brass we have. Same goes ammo cans.
I once visited a friend who taught at the FBI Academy, a firearms Instructor, like me. When I left, I asked if I could take some of their once-fired target .38 special target velocity, cases. A janitor gave me some big garbage bags. I headed to a garage, to pump up my air shocks! I loaded .38 Special reloads. For my classes.

Crossing back into Canada, I just declared some empty cases. A couple of hundred pounds of them!

·
Registered
223 Posts
In Massachusetts the news media portrays any thing over 2 guns is a cache of weapons and any thing over 4 is an arsenal. Or so it seems. I have 6 caches and 4 arsenals, so that makes my home an Armory.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
On a recent 1000 mile road trip, from Orlando to Lancaster Pennsylvania, crossing a little corner of Massachusetts, I had magazines unloaded, Glock 43X in pieces, stopped for a break, in Pennsylvania, my Florida license plates, a possible magnet?
Reassemble, holster up.

All to visit my wife's oldest living Auntie, at 91 YOA. Great trip. Now in CA, no guns at all, doing the munchkin minding helper visit!
Do it once a year. Thanksgiving was fantastic! Keeping away from anything that looks like a scale!

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
In Massachusetts the news media portrays any thing over 2 guns is a cache of weapons and any thing over 4 is an arsenal. Or so it seems. I have 6 caches and 4 arsenals, so that makes my home an Armory.
No, that makes you a Militia! It has more negative connotations than "Armory". :ticking:

·
Registered
521 Posts
It's all about education.

Last year, a coworker and I went to lunch, and after, walked next door to Bass Pro. She reluctantly followed me through the gun section, and I picked out four boxes of ammo - 200 rounds, but had to get the guy at the gun counter to do a price check cause I wasn't sure if they were really on sale.

So while standing there, she was stunned at the quantity I was about to buy. And when I told her I always keep a balance of 1,000 rounds or so of practice ammo around, her reaction was priceless. She asked why 50 wasn't enough? Then she became concerned about leaving the ammo in the hot car when we got back to the office, and suggested it could all explode.

The older man at the counter got a chuckle out of hearing this and tried to ease her worries. He even cited some figures about temps and ammo storage.

On the drive back to the office, she still wasn't convinced. But she thought, bullets would be flying around the parking lot IF they exploded. I tried to give her a physics lesson, explain the purpose of a barrel, etc, but she wasn't buying it. At this point, emotion had taken over and it was a lost cause.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
When I ran my training classes, the subject came up, of hollow Points for Police. A newsgroup came down to my range, the good looking Lady in front of the Camera hated and was frightened of firearms.

After the on Camera talking point Hollow Points! I talked her into firing a Glock 17! Electronic earmuffs, safety glasses, target at 5M.
She fired the first shot, then a second one, 2" away from the first shot! After 5 rounds fired, she was hooked!

·
Registered
927 Posts
When public officials use words like "arsenal" what they really mean is "Look at how well we are doing in protecting our community! Get out and vote for us and help us get a bigger budget to do even more for you".

When the press uses the word "arsenal" what they mean is "Look at how horrible the world around us is! Be sure to stay tuned and help us keep our ratings up and advertising dollars at maximum".

41 - 58 of 58 Posts