Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
I think it's a sales gimmick more than a buckshot improvement. The only way I can see to realistically 'give it a try' is too shoot flesh and count the pellets.

__

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
interesting. Federal makes what i think is the best self defense shotgun shell out there. i can get the designation if ya care. it's a #1 buck, 15 pellets, with FlightWad. tests have shown greater tissue destruction by 15 smaller pellets than 9 larger ones. i would guess these 9 breaking in half would be even better. but from the pics of this guy shooting, it appears to me that the flightwad keeps the grouping a heck of a lot tighter. at 7 yards, my targets look like one really large round hit them, instead of a pattern of smaller hits spread around. i'll try and get some of these new shells and compare the two

·
Premium Member
5,169 Posts
I picked up some of these Kaviar Slug. Haven't had a chance to try them yet.

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
Interesting. People forget that with shotgun shells each projectile acts alone, a load of shot is not a solid mass. With what I want a shotgun for I want penetration. If I were in a tightly packed urban environment I would use another tool. My 870 is loaded with Federal flight control 00 buck.

·
Registered
42,968 Posts
The king's new clothes...

If I want a nice, tight pattern from an SD shotgun, I'll load it with slugs. Otherwise, I don't see any advantage this with smaller shot loads already on the shelves--or used to be on the shelves.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
I'll stick with my 27 pellets of #4 Buck.
Same. Overpenetration seems to be one of the biggest bugaboos used to sell ammo that ever came down the pike,.

Reactions: Kilowatt3

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Interesting. People forget that with shotgun shells each projectile acts alone, a load of shot is not a solid mass. With what I want a shotgun for I want penetration. If I were in a tightly packed urban environment I would use another tool. My 870 is loaded with Federal flight control 00 buck.
yep. so what matters is total frontal surface area of all the pellets. it's greater with the #1 buck. and no, the pattern isn't so tight it looks like a slug. but it's not spread out, either. i've got one long room in my house where that's important.

use whatever works best for ya. i don't think anyone is gonna like playing goalie for the shotgun team, whether you're shooting 00, #1, #4, or anything else

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Better mouse trap. Don't see the point.

·
Super Moderator
18,888 Posts
I'll stick with my 27 pellets of #4 Buck.

To me it's "same difference" ...

... without the gimmick.

Thanks for posting that KILTED COWBOY. First I'd heard of it.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
All my years of working the street included a Remington 870 loaded with 00-buckshot. Proven and reliable.

At home I load my 870 with heavy "goose" loads, 1-1/4 oz. of BB-shot. About a hundred pellets of .17 to .18 caliber.

The longest straight line distance in my home is 40 feet. With my 870 and the improved cylinder choke tube installed these loads shoot a 4.5" pattern at 40 feet. The pellets will penetrate a leather jacket, a denim jacket, and 2 layers of cotton shirts with enough remaining energy to destroy a watermelon. A mock-up sheetrock wall shows that these loads will penetrate both layers of sheetrock, but remaining energy is insufficient to go through a layer of denim. At close range (~3 yards) the pellets will shatter a 2X4.

Car door at 25 feet, no penetration. Automobile windshield at 25 feet, no penetration. Inside the home, across the room distances, these are bone-busters and meat grinders.

The occasional 10-lb. Canada goose at 25 yards, dinner time. (I think the feathers and down are tougher than denim). Just joking here, federal law has required non-toxic (lead-free) shot for decades, and these are lead shot loads.

Save the outrage, forget the lecture, don't bother quoting the latest and greatest expert opinions. I know what they say. I know a lot of people are looking for the "perfect" solution for everything. I have found what I am comfortable with and believe will work as I need it to, that's all that I'm saying here.

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
yep. so what matters is total frontal surface area of all the pellets. it's greater with the #1 buck. and no, the pattern isn't so tight it looks like a slug. but it's not spread out, either. i've got one long room in my house where that's important.

use whatever works best for ya. i don't think anyone is gonna like playing goalie for the shotgun team, whether you're shooting 00, #1, #4, or anything else
Actually it is weight of each pellet. Pellets of equal size and shape, the heavier one will generally penetrate deeper. I have seen some ugly shallow wounds with too small of shot, it seems that everyone that takes a load of 00 buck center mass dies, on the scene or in the hospital. Not that lethality is the goal, stopping is. The surest most consistent stops I have seen against armed violent offenders is a 12ga Foster Slug.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Choosing a gun and ammo that have an expanding a shot pattern seems a little contradictory to worrying about over penetration.

·
Registered
11,231 Posts
If you want smaller pellets, just choose smaller pellets from the get-go.

Gimmick.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
20,635 Posts
My FNH SLP is loaded with Federal flight control #1 buckshot.

Reactions: Wild Onion

·
Registered
637 Posts
I load my Mossberg 590 with Federal 00 Buck with Flight Control. It makes a fist sized pattern at all of the self defense distances in my house (30 feet is the longest). Very confident that if I do my job in aiming properly, the shot will do its job in stopping the threat.
I would prefer that instead of Federal producing these newfangled shotshells, they would devote more production resources to 9mm, .45, and .38 special.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts