Defensive Carry banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
in my defense, allow me to quote from the above-mentioned study. this is discussing the Remington #1 buck. the Federal has 15 pellets of the same size:

"A 2¾ inch load firing 16 .30 cal pellets, this offering from Remington fired from an 18 inch barreled Remington 870 Marine Magnum exhibited excellent average penetration of approximately 16.5 inches. Temporary stretch cavity measured approximately 8.5 inches. Shot recovered exhibited minimal deformation.

In our opinion, this load is superior to 00 buck for selection as a tactical shotgun load. While exhibiting slightly less penetration, overall penetration is still acceptable and if all pellets strike their intended target there is potential to create approximately 77% more wound tract with the additional 7 pellets."

bolding is mine. this is what i was trying to say earlier, but i guess i worded my remarks poorly

also, from the same above study:

"We do believe federal’s wad configuration is superior to most others, and as a result most of their buckshot loads tend to pattern tighter than those of their competition."

these are the two reasons that i decided to go with the Federal #1 buck with the FlightWad. if they've stopped making it, well, i think that's too bad. i've got about 30-35 shells left. i'll bogart 'em. and start looking for something new
Number 1 buckshot makes for a good load. It’s in my opinion the smallest shot size I would use for a shotgun intended for defensive work with the research that I’ve conducted. It doesn’t take long at all for #4 to begin under penetration yet #1 remains in the desired area out to 25 yards easily enough. I’d like to get some for pattern testing in my SBSs but have had no luck sourcing any.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I was issued 00 Buckshot for LE academy some 25 years ago and still use 00 buck today. Seems like it was Remington at the time. Federal Flight Control 00 buck is my choice for home defense needs.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I'd be willing to try it, if it's not overly priced and is available. Hey, Federal, ship me a case or three!

I can definitely see some positives. 00 Buck is popular for many reasons. One is it consistently patterns in most 12 ga guns. The size of the pellets would be meaningless if flyers were a widespread problem (pun intended). 00 Buck gets this consistent patterning for a few reasons, such as the stacking pattern when loaded in the shot cup (3 on 3 on 3 reduces pellet distortion when fired), the pellets don't seem to interfere with each other after the shot cup separates, and the larger single mass of each 00 pellet retains energy further downrange than smaller pellets do. This new load seems to replicate those in flight attributes.

Once the pellets hit the target, the increased number of wound tracks from #1 or #4 Buck provide a slightly different wound than 00 Buck. Many people prefer the increased number of wound tracks of having more projectiles that are smaller and still sufficiently penetrate. This new load may be similar to that as well, doubling the number of wound tracks over 00 Buck.

Before I disregard it as just another gimmick, I'd like to see terminal performance tests. The pellets are a different material and shape (round, but split in half on impact) than most other shot, and that could affect how it performs. But I'd like to think there are experts at Federal who really intend to provide an improvement rather than just say they're trying to make a dishonest buck off people without providing a better product. Users need their defense rounds to work well in the most dire of situations, and I'd like to think Federal and its employees keeps this in mind.

·
Premium Member
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
When I first saw this round I was asking myself why?
Then I started thinking about the pattern at a bit of a distance and how the fewer balls of 00 would have a tighter pattern and that those balls then would open up once they hit the target so more projectiles hitting the target in a smaller group.
That is why I think it can be an effective round for home defense.
All others will do the job. I do not mind trying a better or different mouse trap.
Innovation keeps things fresh and every once in a while improves stuff.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
When I first saw this round I was asking myself why?
Then I started thinking about the pattern at a bit of a distance and how the fewer balls of 00 would have a tighter pattern and that those balls then would open up once they hit the target so more projectiles hitting the target in a smaller group.
That is why I think it can be an effective round for home defense.
All others will do the job. I do not mind trying a better or different mouse trap.
Innovation keeps things fresh and every once in a while improves stuff.
For me, when 00 starts to spread it leaves big holes in its pattern. Gaps a human standing sideways could slip between. certainly a coyote or racoon could be centered in the pattern and still be completely be missed! Thats where patterning and more shot come into play.
It took me awhile to find a load that gave a nice round pattern at a speed that would penitrate.
Too much velocity and you get a donut shaped pattern that is thin in the center, too little and it doesnt penitrate. But when you get it right!.... DR

·
Premium Member
6,780 Posts
I think it's a sales gimmick more than a buckshot improvement. The only way I can see to realistically 'give it a try' is too shoot flesh and count the pellets.

__

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous
I just got a few boxes of these (15 rds total) for that “just in case SHTF scenario”

Reactions: demanic

·
Super Moderator
18,883 Posts
Don't know if it's still marketed, but supplies of Winchester Western Super-X 3 1/2-inch 10 gauge Magnum shells with No. 4 buckshot are kept on hand here. That's 54 .24 caliber round balls. It's the blue cloud of death on called in coyotes and foxes. A large feral pit bull wasn't tough enough for a load of the stuff from about five yards.

Have been present when 12 gauge 00 buckshot was used to take a deer. Deer led us on a merry chase though fairly struck with all nine pellets from the first shot from 15 yards. Took nine more 00 to settle his hash.

I came away unimpressed with the observation.

·
Premium Member
6,780 Posts
Don't know if it's still marketed, but supplies of Winchester Western Super-X 3 1/2-inch 10 gauge Magnum shells with No. 4 buckshot are kept on hand here. That's 54 .24 caliber round balls. It's the blue cloud of death on called in coyotes and foxes. A large feral pit bull wasn't tough enough for a load of the stuff from about five yards.

Have been present when 12 gauge 00 buckshot was used to take a deer. Deer led us on a merry chase though fairly struck with all nine pellets from the first shot from 15 yards. Took nine more 00 to settle his hash.

I came away unimpressed with the observation.
When I was hunting big game (Deer and Elk) on active duty, I avoided using Buckshot like the plague. Thankfully where I was stationed in Washington State it wasn’t mandated by law or policy. I mostly used a Super Blackhawk .44 magnum with a 7.5 inch barrel. Where we hunted, the bush was very tight and dense, so close shots were pretty common. Even at point blank contact range I wouldn’t use a 12 gauge on one of those animals. A slug? Sure, but only still out to MAYBE thirty meters.

Reactions: bmcgilvray
41 - 51 of 51 Posts