Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have researched the much debated products for cleaning and lubricating. What I was curious about is what do you clean you gun on? Can it be just an old towel or should I look for some sort of link free rag/towel ?

Also, I noticed some people at the range have some sort of "towel" they put down before they lay there gun down. Is that recommended?

Thanks

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I use a few layers of old newspapers when I clean pistols on the kitchen bar. For my long guns, I have a rifle rest/gunsmith tray like this:

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
If it's warm outside, I have a table on my porch, and one of those absorbent mats you can get from Cabela's. During the winter, it's on my kitchen table, covered, and then cleaned when I'm done.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Old towel covered with newspapers on my gun workbench. Also have a thick rubber pad on the concrete floor for comfortable feet and in case I do actually drop a gun. Yes I did drop my SA's 1911 slide and the rubber mat saved it from damage.:smile:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I've got some big industrial paper towels I get from work called "toughest wipes" and they are lint free. I clean on those. If I can't get those, I get the blue automotive paper towels.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Have been using newspapers but just bought a cleaning pad, Remington I think from Midway...supposedly washable and absorbs.....

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Gun mats are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I use a cheap gun mat, old towels and wasted drafting paper on top of a near pristine $1200 drafting table in my office...haven't use the table for it's intended purpose since we chose autocad over pen and ink many years ago...finally laid the table top flat a few months ago. For parts that really need hosing out with WD40 and/or Hoppes #9, I step out in the yard, drench them, wipe them down and bring them back to the table for final clean/wipe/lube. My office always has the wonderful aroma of Hoppes, CLP, Doberman and a few "not so pleasant smells".... it's a "Man Cave":smile:

surv

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I use a couple of old bath towels on my home office desk.. Works well for me. Most times it Nascar, or the Outdoor channel on the tube, and the guns being cleaned with a little beer to wash it all down. Oh' and the bibles on the desk too.:image035:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I use a couple of old bath towels on my home office desk.. Works well for me. Most times it Nascar, or the Outdoor channel on the tube, and the guns being cleaned with a little beer to wash it all down. Oh' and the bibles on the desk too.:image035:

you can also listen to Tom Gresham's "Gun Talk" via internet while you do the Hoppes and cold beer:smile:. Google "gun talk" and you can go straight to the link... archived shows for hours of listening!

surv

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
you can also listen to Tom Gresham's "Gun Talk" via internet while you do the Hoppes and cold beer:smile:. Google "gun talk" and you can go straight to the link... archived shows for hours of listening!

surv
:hand10: Got it bookmarked. Thanks for the information... :bier:

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Several layers of newspaper and a gun mat on my desk...outdoor channel on the tube and DC on the laptop, next to the desk...

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I lay down several layers of newspaper on the kitchen table, then my Neoprene gun cleaning mat. Works pretty well.

·
Registered
11,109 Posts
I always wondered how folks could have a ND while disassembling their Glocks for cleaning, which does involve pulling the trigger.

Now I know...drinking beer while cleaning your guns!:gah:

Seriously, guns and alcohol don't mix...even while just cleaning them.

OK...rant off.:rant: Back to your regular programming...

Old towels for me.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Usually old t-shirts or towel on my drawing table.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I use "bag of rags" from the box home improvement stores

1 - 20 of 43 Posts