Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question really... when you get in your car, what do you do with your handgun? Where do you place it, if at all?

For me I usally just stick it in my seat/console area while I'm driving so it's not hard to get on my person.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
It stays on my hip. I see no need to take it off unless I'm going through a bad part of town with allot of stops along the way. If that's the case, I put it under my leg for easy access.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I leave it on my hip. When I first got my CCW I mounted a holster in the center console so I'd have a place to put it and now I never use it. I've found it a lot easier to just leave it alone and keep it where it always is.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Same place it was when i got in the car 4 Oclock IWB

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just curious what would you guys who keep it on your person do if you were suddenly car jacked and you needed it? I'm thinking the seatbelt would get in the way. How would you handle the situation? Thats part of the reason I keep it on the console so I can get to it immediately if needed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The principal CCW stays where it is. If it's carried in a fanny pack, that slides around to the front for easy access while behind the wheel. If it is in a belt holster, covered by a sweater-vest (and the seat belt) then a back-up gun can go from RF pants pocket to inside left jacket pocket for easier access while driving (I have KT .32 and .380 for this purpose). A S&W 642 also rides well in a pocket holster in the left inside jacket pocket, instead of a belt holster, if I am wearing only a light jacket without a sweater to cover the OWB holster.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Just curious what would you guys who keep it on your person do if you were suddenly car jacked and you needed it? I'm thinking the seatbelt would get in the way. How would you handle the situation? Thats part of the reason I keep it on the console so I can get to it immediately if needed.
You might want to consider a cross draw carry holster while you'r in the car. That should put the seatbelt concern to rest. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Mine stays on my side in a Don Hume pancake holster. It rides high enough that the seat belt is not in the way.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a newer model silverado. Seat/console for me also.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
At first I used to remove mine and place it in a cup holder with the insert removed. I found it flopped around and I considered what might happen in a collision. It now stays in my OWB holster, just turned a tiny bit cloer to 2:30 than the normal 3:00 position, and I tuck my shirt between my body and the top of the firearm. That puts it in an easy position to grab if I need it and the seatbeat doesn't interfere with drawing it. When I release the seatbelt to get out I pull the shirt back to it's normal "cover" position and wiggle the holster back to 3:00. With the tall console in my Bronco the gun isn't visible to anyone from either side of the vehicle.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Just curious what would you guys who keep it on your person do if you were suddenly car jacked and you needed it? I'm thinking the seatbelt would get in the way.
Nope... As I would be reaching to undo the seat belt, I would be returning my hand with a little package for the jacker,.. I don't want be a separated by anything if I had to get out,.. Always on ones person,.. :image035:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Mine is IWB at about 3:30 - 4:00 and I find that the seatbelt really doesn't interfere with it under normal driving conditions.

If I pull into a gas station and wait outside while my wife runs in I'll unbucle for easier access just in case.

If someone did try to carjack me at a light or something like that my first reaction would be to try to drive out of the situation. However, if that wasn't possible I prefer the gun with me. If I do wind up being pulled out of the car or jumping out quickly I know it's going with me and not left behind.

Just my thoughts anyway.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Simple question really... when you get in your car, what do you do with your handgun? Where do you place it, if at all?

For me I usally just stick it in my seat/console area while I'm driving so it's not hard to get on my person.
It stays where it is in a holster under my shirt.
My wife isnt licensed and if I accidentally forgot to take it with me and left her in the car with it shes looking at a felony charge. Not worth the risk, not to mention I dont see the point in disarming and rearming each step in or out of the car...too much unnecessary handling of the firearm, in my opinion.

·
Registered
260 Posts
My 2 cents...

IWB...strong side, kidney...same place it always is.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I uncover just enough to get to it.
Its unlikely that Im going to be carjacked unless getting in or out of the car anyway since we keep windows rolled up and doors locked. If thats the scenario then its going to be the same as being out of the car since the gun would be holstered and concealed at that point anyway.

We'd have to walk around with gun in hand to be 100% ready for every situation. I dont think many of us are going to try that.
Best just to keep ones eyes open and if we see possible trouble approaching get prepared for it.
Concealed carry isnt going to save a person from every possible scenario. We can only do what we can and hope its enough.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
I have a bench seat in my truck with a seat cover with pocket in front of seat'
so I keep a truck gun in the pocket uned my legs ; )

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I have a cheap cross-draw holster I switch my gun to. This takes care of the problem with the seatbelt getting in the way. I convert back to my normal carry holster when I park and get out.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Depends

If it’s the Jeep and I’m going a long way it goes in the center console, or I keep it in a utility bag.

If I’m just riding around town, I keep it on me where it is.

In the motorhome, I store it in the weapons locker to my side, but take it out when I stop.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Stays on my hip, or in my pocket (if pocket carrying).

If I were to consider removal, I would first arrange for a secured/holstered attachment point somewhere in the cabin, either in the console, on the door, or alongside the transmission tunnel.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts