Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Well, we thought we might be overrun once in VN and I only had 5 20 round mags at the time for the newly issued M16. Before that we had M2 Carbines like the VN. That experience of thinking I would run out of ammo made me strap on a machete. It's funny how I've always liked big knives after that and now have three machetes, all different lengths. Not having enough rounds has never left me.

I spent two years there and came home twice on 30 day leaves. I think it was the second one where someone was behind me and a girlfriend on a very twisty road and wanted to pass and couldn't. Finally their patience ran out and they sped past me not realizing a turn was in front of them. He spun and went backwards into the trees right in front of me and glared back at me with eyes that were on fire - like it was my fault. Instinctively I reached between the bucket seats in that moment for my M2 which was now on the other side of the world. So, instead of getting out to help the guy, I simply put it in reverse and left him boiling in his own anger.

Another time our Sportsman's Club which had the range down on a small river flood plain was sharing stories of wild dogs possibly mixed with coyotes that had recently treed a fisherman. We discussed it at a club meeting so that everyone would be careful and aware of this possible danger. I was shooting alone down there one day shortly afterwards and had my gov't model .45 in an old Rogers comp. holster when out of the corner of my eye I saw a large dog quartering very close to me. That holster which could be worn crossdraw or strong side made it possible for a quick draw and point on the dog who happened to be just a neighbor's friendly G.Shepherd coming over to say hello. I instantly recognized him to be friendly and holstered the .45

This little episode along with the recent deaths of the two men in the Texas Church reinforce the need for having our handguns where they are readily accessible. A slow draw for any reason may be very costly. Carrying strong side under a garment, especially if you are wearing a coat and thinking simply having a firearm with you and that you will have time to slowly draw it probably doesn't fit most scenarios where you will need one.

I'm trying to change my habits so that I have a larger handgun on the belt and another smaller in a jacket pocket or pants pocket that can come to hand without any fishing for it. I like my 3" Bulldog, but I'm thinking a 2 1/ 2" would ride better in a pants pocket. The 3" barely disappears in deep pockets and a 2" or less falls to the bottom.

At Church I usually take my Sig P250sc 9mm and a larger spare magazine. Sometimes, depending on clothes, I have the larger mag with an adapter loaded. I feel more comfortable with dao and more rounds available should they ever be needed. Around the house or on short trips it's usually the Bulldog or a LCP Custom in a pocket or belt holster. I'm now as old as a dear friend I used to shoot with who was mugged and slightly ruffed up at the city Post Office. There is also the memory of an Uncle who was mugged and shot to death in front of his house in NYC many years ago. I hesitated to get my carry permit until the knowing of how vulnerable the wife and I were sunk in. She now uses a wheel chair and loading her in and out of the car in parking lots along with the rise in shootings moved me to apply.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think it was Clint Smith from Thunder ranch that said "you can't pick your fight, but you can pick the gun you choose to carry". These words have stuck with me. I try to "war game" as many possibilities as I can. If I am waiting on the wife or kids some where I play the what if game. If you haven't envisioned the unthinkable happening, when it does you will not think it's real. This will cause you to hesitate and not take action as quickly as you could other wise.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Foxes scared you that bad? Oh come on.
We have had foxes living in the forest preserve at the end of our street the 20 years I have lived here. They are the last critters you should worry about and are very good for the neighborhood.
The coyotes are another story and should be killed with extreme prejudice.

I worry most about home invasion. I don’t stash guns around the house, but feel that home is the most important place to carry, and carry a real gun.

Ready for anything, no no. I am ready for a good dinner, but anything no.
I do think always being armed gives me a better chance for a quick response.
We read stories about the door getting kicked in and the home owner getting their gun from somewhere. Not me.
I am as armed as I will ever be, always.

If I see North Korean paratroopers landing in the backyard, I will take the time to step it up to a long gun.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
I guess some type of road rage incident would be what I would see as the most likely these days.

I'm an older guy now living out in the country. I don't hang out late at night at stupid places doing stupid things. That said, the times I have felt most at risk lately have been while driving downtown or on the Interstate. The past 2-3 years have just gotten incredibly stupid with population growth in the Raleigh-Durham area. People drive offensively with no respect for other drivers. The attitude seems to be "my time is more important than yours, so get the hell out of my way!" Each time I leave the house I have to remind myself not to let the crazy people get the best of me.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I try not to limit my "vision" of what may create a deadly threat scenario. I live in a very low crime though not crime free area but venture into higher crime cities on occasion. Anything and everything could happen, home invasion, confrontation with a nut job, robbery/car jacking attempt, mass shooter at wally world, road rager, you name it.

I once read that a military commander in battle can be forgiven for being defeated but cannot be forgiven for being surprised. In my years as a street cop I had suspects catch me off guard (doing something I didn't expect) twice. I learned my lessons well and was never surprised again.

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
Depends on what I am doing. Do you mean outside the house doing yard work? Usually my Springfield EMP 40 with 9 rounds of JHP or one of my Super Black Hawks with 6+ rounds of 44 magnum. Do you mean outside the house going out and about? EMP and 2 reloads, 357 mag revolver and 3 reloads, Glock31C and 2 reloads. I am not one to fantasize about any fights, I have been in enough.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
I don't prepare for any certain scenario or response. I think that might tend to make me ignore other possibilities. I also don't carry for any big gunfight, although I would carry my 1911, plus my EDC as a backup if I thought I was going in harm's say. Otherwise, it is a .38 snubby or a mini .380. I do have some principles I try to abide by:
  • I always have a gun, pepper spray and a knife and I have had a fair amount of H2H training. Some people put down pepper spray, but if it could keep me from having to shoot someone or some animal, it could be useful. It is for "dogs and drunks."
  • I'm always on the lookout for things that are out of place. It might be my experience as a combat aviator, but I "keep my head on a swivel" and my visual focus out way ahead. I tend to notice things other people don't and/or notice things sooner than they do. Riding a motorcycle keeps this skill up too. It is also a fun thing: Most of the out of place stuff I notice is not threatening, of course, but often it winds up being interesting.
  • If something seems wrong, I assume it is wrong until proven otherwise. I avoid denial.
  • I have no problem being stand-offish or impolite if need be. I won't be rude, but I am not tied to social niceties with strangers and I won't have my personal space violated.
If I had to make a guess, I think stores, parking lots, answering the front door and being stopped in my car, at a light or in traffic, are probably the places to be most on guard.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Well, most on here responded in one fashion or another about what they carry, how many they carry and what they forsee or imagine happening down the road. For one moment, consider everything you mentioned without the ability to carry publically...... So....... Welcome to New Jersey and our lifestyle.
Yeah, I understand.. You can't carry, and never will be able to.. NJ is a disgrace.. I know, I was born there, and lived there 37 years.. NJ does NOT under any circumstance issue CC permits except to retired LEO, or the VERY VERY well heeled.. From what i understand there are less than 2500 CC permits in the entire state, most issued under LEOSO.. Horrifying.
I truly feel for you, but I'm in NY and we are always worried here, about not getting renewed, and we can be like NJ with a simple dictate from our totalitarian governor... bob

·
Registered
935 Posts
We live in the country at the end of a dead end road. Nothing approaches our place without warnings from the dogs or watchful neighbors. But I see the very real possibility of a bull turning me to mush, or a feral hog attack while tending my hog traps. I'm armed most of the time, but murphy's law will visit when the gun is in the UTV.

·
Banned
705 Posts
A couple of things that I never imagined

A Tweaker wearing war paint and a bird mask at 2AM in a parking lot.

2 crackheads trying to rob me right outside my front door at 1130 PM

Another tweaker trying to take my gun in a Kum & Go at 3AM

Bobcat sitting on a chicken coop at 1AM

Two gang bangers deciding to shoot it out in the parking lot of my apartment.

Crazy Meth Head who was pissed off because I wouldn't give him a dollar and who dared me to shoot him.

Meth head truck driver who was pissed off because I wasn't authorized to sign for his delivery and took a swing at me.

I don't know about you but I see a pattern.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
I have long ago stopped going stupid places with stupid people. But that doesn't mean trouble could't find me. So I prepare the best I can by always having a gun on me. I also keep a quart of oil, a gallon of gas, and a gallon of water in the back of my truck. A few tools round out the things I need. I doubt I could prepare for every possibility, But I can take care of the most common ones. DR

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Foxes scared you that bad? Oh come on.
We have had foxes living in the forest preserve at the end of our street the 20 years I have lived here. They are the last critters you should worry about and are very good for the neighborhood.
The coyotes are another story and should be killed with extreme prejudice.
News reports on TV of people getting bitten by rabid foxes roaming around openly in Atlanta and around the suburbs didn't have much impact or affect on me right around that time. But seeing four of them working as a team getting closer in very dim light with 40 yards between me and my front door got the adrenaline going with those reports of rabies coming immediately to mind.

They were pretty vicious and snarling with a trap around their leg a day later.

Maybe you even have a pet fox in your house...what's it's name? Innocent little doggies get rabies too, or at least they say they do. You never saw the movie "Old Yeller"? Made me cry.

I guess it was just that "imagination" thing that got me at the time. Kind of like imagining a home invasion on a serene street where foxes live and romp playfully. Really? Oh come on. :wink:

IMG_1320.JPG

·
Banned
705 Posts
News reports on TV of people getting bitten by rabid foxes roaming around openly in Atlanta and around the suburbs didn't have much impact or affect on me right around that time. But seeing four of them working as a team getting closer in very dim light with 40 yards between me and my front door got the adrenaline going with those reports of rabies coming immediately to mind.

Maybe you even have a pet fox in your house...what's it's name? Innocent little doggies get rabies too, or at least they say they do. You never saw the movie "Old Yeller"? Made me cry.

I guess it was just that "imagination" thing that got me at the time. Kind of like imagining a home invasion on a serene street where foxes live and romp playfully. Really? :wink:

View attachment 310804

Evil, vicious, nasty foxes. Who are generally about the size of a house cat and can probably be kicked right over the fence and out of your yard. And if we're concerned about our dogs getting rabies we get our dog's rabies shots

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Evil, vicious, nasty foxes. Who are generally about the size of a house cat and can probably be kicked right over the fence and out of your yard. And if we're concerned about our dogs getting rabies we get our dog's rabies shots
I have a house cat and it's a larger than normal cat. Ma and Pa fox were bigger than he is by a good bit. Who do you think took the time to take the fox family into the vet for rabies shots?

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I'm an unlikely target living a low risk lifestyle, so in my geezerly mind, I foresee a one on one or maybe two on one confrontation. Some dirtball expecting me to hand over my wallet or some such as I'm filing up at a gas pump or otherwise minding my own business.

Accordingly, I feel like my 38 snub is up to the task, should it ever be needed.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I'm an unlikely target living a low risk lifestyle, so in my geezerly mind, I foresee a one on one or maybe two on one confrontation. Some dirtball expecting me to hand over my wallet or some such as I'm filing up at a gas pump or otherwise minding my own business.

Accordingly, I feel like my 38 snub is up to the task, should it ever be needed.
Yeah, thanks for the reminder. That's one of mine also and especially one my wife always thinks about since women are picked as an easier target. There's almost a daily occurrence of it being broadcast on the evening news somewhere in the city and suburbs.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts

I guess it was just that "imagination" thing that got me at the time. Kind of like imagining a home invasion on a serene street where foxes live and romp playfully. Really? Oh come on. :wink:

View attachment 310804
Any animal can get rabies. Caught in a trap, all animals are snarling and vicious. And no, I don’t have them as pets. They were very afraid of my cat. It was really cool, kitty kills the bunnies, eats his fill and stashed em in the bushes in front of the house.
Then the fox would come by and clean up the mess. It was a good arrangement.

One morning I watched my, “Lion” hold court with the daddy fox. It was very clear who was in charge. About two months prior I heard a one cat cat fight early in the morning. Went out to find him strutting around like a peacock and fresh fox tracks.

Any rabid animal is dangerous. Otherwise they are pretty harmless, unlike coyotes.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Any animal can get rabies. Caught in a trap, all animals are snarling and vicious. And no, I don’t have them as pets. They were very afraid of my cat. It was really cool, kitty kills the bunnies, eats his fill and stashed em in the bushes in front of the house.
Then the fox would come by and clean up the mess. It was a good arrangement.

One morning I watched my, “Lion” hold court with the daddy fox. It was very clear who was in charge. About two months prior I heard a one cat cat fight early in the morning. Went out to find him strutting around like a peacock and fresh fox tracks.

Any rabid animal is dangerous. Otherwise they are pretty harmless, unlike coyotes.
I agree. But you don't know what you don't know at 5:15 am with very little light, still half asleep, a good distance from the front door of the house and never seeing them around my property or neighborhood before. I've never seen another fox in my yard or the woods behind my house ever again. There have been reports of coyotes not too far away but I've never seen or heard any.

From Humane Society: Keeping cats safe: A typical adult cat is almost the same size as a fox and has a well-deserved reputation for self-defense, so foxes are generally not interested in taking such cats on. Kittens and very small (less than five pounds) adult cats, however, could be prey for a fox.

The best way to avoid encounters between foxes and cats is to keep your cats indoors—a practice that will keep your cats safe from other hazards as well, such as traffic, disease and fights, to mention only a few.

My cat was an indoor/outdoor cat who brought squirrels, chipmunks, birds, and rabbits to the door as a gift to me. He got older and in a big fight with another cat that got the better of him with a huge bleeding gash in his left front shoulder from the claws. It was 7:30 in the morning on a Sunday. Luckily I found a Vet who had a 24 hr. emergency clinic 7 days a week about 30 miles away and rushed over there. Took 8 to 10 stitches and a lot of blood. That was the end of his career as an outdoor playboy and hunter. Took him a while to become used to being indoors all the time but he finally settled down. Since then I've trained him to walk in a harness and leash like a dog to go outside. I don't walk him, he walks me or my wife. He leads, we follow. Until it's time to come in.

This is what I do see frequently from my kitchen window in the woods about 40 feet away:

IMG_0132.JPG

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
I've had several "bad" encounters with people in places where most people would not expect it, i.e., at the beach, in a fast food restaurant while sitting eating my lunch, etc. I've also had encounters where you might expect it, approaching a hotel on foot at night.

Anything can happen anywhere, but if you read the NRA's Armed Citizen, certainly a good number of events take place at home. Four out of six of the incidents in the January 2020 issue of Shooting Illustrated took place at people's homes. I try to be prepared at all times

Reactions: Chaplain Scott

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don't go to dangerous places and don't live in a high crime neighborhood but every day I read stories in the local newspaper about the antics of druggies and some of those are pretty violent. No place is safe from those people, so you never really know when or where you might be in the middle of some nasty business. I don't obsess over possible scenarios but I do try to be aware of what's going on around me and I'm always armed unless I'm in bed and then a weapon is close by. I usually carry my M&P Compact 9 not so much for it's 15+1 capacity but because it's what I shoot best and I find it comfortable.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts