Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I agree. But you don't know what you don't know at 5:15 am with very little light, still half asleep, a good distance from the front door of the house and never seeing them around my property or neighborhood before. I've never seen another fox in my yard or the woods behind my house ever again. There have been reports of coyotes not too far away but I've never seen or heard any.

From Humane Society: Keeping cats safe: A typical adult cat is almost the same size as a fox and has a well-deserved reputation for self-defense, so foxes are generally not interested in taking such cats on. Kittens and very small (less than five pounds) adult cats, however, could be prey for a fox.

The best way to avoid encounters between foxes and cats is to keep your cats indoors–a practice that will keep your cats safe from other hazards as well, such as traffic, disease and fights, to mention only a few.

My cat was an indoor/outdoor cat who brought squirrels, chipmunks, birds, and rabbits to the door as a gift to me. He got older and in a big fight with another cat that got the better of him with a huge bleeding gash in his left front shoulder from the claws. It was 7:30 in the morning on a Sunday. Luckily I found a Vet who had a 24 hr. emergency clinic 7 days a week about 30 miles away and rushed over there. Took 8 to 10 stitches and a lot of blood. That was the end of his career as an outdoor playboy and hunter. Took him a while to become used to being indoors all the time but he finally settled down. Since then I've trained him to walk in a harness and leash like a dog to go outside. I don't walk him, he walks me or my wife. He leads, we follow. Until it's time to come in.

This is what I do see frequently from my kitchen window in the woods about 40 feet away:

View attachment 310808
Same happened to my old guy. He hit 13 and started getting his butt kicked by the young ones. Then he would only go out in the mornings for few minutes. He new the deal. He passed a year ago at 18.
His replacement does not go out and never will.

Ten or so years ago our neighborhood was constantly terrorized by an NFL players 100+ pound pittbull. Ran me up into the back of my truck one day. That was before we could carry, or he would have gotten a mag of 230gr XTP, and I would have been arrested.

He was later run out of state and took the dog with him. Pepper spray with me now when I am out walking.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Back in the late 70’s I was in a situation where I had to defend myself from a large man. I did not carry at the time (before I was 20yo). I did know how to use a gun due to my brother teaching me at a very young age.

Not sure where this thread is going, kinda everywhere so not sure of the OP’s question other than, the “what if’s”?

During my “what if” the shot gun just happened to be in the corner that I was knocked into. I did know how to use a double barrel. If the basturd is still alive I pray he’s in jail.

Reckon that is all I need to say.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts

Evil, vicious, nasty foxes. Who are generally about the size of a house cat and can probably be kicked right over the fence and out of your yard. And if we're concerned about our dogs getting rabies we get our dog's rabies shots
If they are sick, Could you kick all four without getting bit? Have you ever seen what they do to people who are suspected of having Rabies? The treatment is they take a needle that is about the size of your little finger and a foot long, and inject into your stomach twice a day for two weeks! Most people would rather die of Rabies than take the cure! DR

·
Registered
33,858 Posts

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Search Results
Featured snippet from the web
In the past, the rabies vaccine required as many as 30 shots and was quite painful. The "new" rabies vaccine requires only four shots following a potential exposure to the virus and is much less painful.
A Look at Each Vaccine: Rabies Vaccine | Children's Hospital ...
https://www.chop.edu › centers-programs › vaccine-details › rabies-vaccine

I learn something new every day! I guess they do have a new procedure. I'm still not getting bit if I can avoid it! DR

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Search Results
Featured snippet from the web
In the past, the rabies vaccine required as many as 30 shots and was quite painful. The "new" rabies vaccine requires only four shots following a potential exposure to the virus and is much less painful.
A Look at Each Vaccine: Rabies Vaccine | Children's Hospital ...
https://www.chop.edu › centers-programs › vaccine-details › rabies-vaccine

I learn something new every day! I guess they do have a new procedure. I'm still not getting bit if I can avoid it! DR
Yes, but when talking to the children, I think it’s best to stick with your story about the original remedy.

·
Banned
705 Posts
I used to work on a site out on the East edge of town (it's in town now) that was mostly undeveloped land. There was a family of foxes living on site who were very friendly.

I've run into dozens of foxes at work and I've never had one behave remotely aggressively.

Coyotes on the other hand...

FWIW I just noticed I'm wearing the same shoes in both videos

·
Registered
727 Posts
Prepare and train for whatever you want, whatever you think prudent.

But remain open minded as I've found that life has a way of showing you something you never foresaw or imagined, and it does it quickly and without warning.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had an incident in Detroit once , I was working security and was walking back to my place of employment when the Manager ran out and told me we had a shoplifter so I seen the guy running down the street so thinking quickly I took my wallet out and said ' Hey mister , you dropped your wallet ' , well that was all it took the guy stopped in front of a bank and as I approached him he jammed his hand in his pocket at which time I grabbed his wrist with my left hand and drew my gun out of the holster and I told him as I seen the tactical units pulling up on the sidewalk that if anything but an empty hand comes out its over for him . Thank God he pulled out an empty hand BUT he had a stolen .25 in his pocket and in his statement to the officers he was going to shoot me but I was more prepared for interacting in the situation so I got lucky and even though he was a felon on probation the judge gave him 90 days probation and when I found that out I never worked in the city again .

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Just opining from personal experience, having been through a face to face situation with a meth head holding a pistol about 12 inches from my forehead. Back then I didn't see it coming, was not prepared, and there was no carry law at the time. With some fast talking I walked away from it, along with my wife who was 9 months pregnant with our first child. And I vowed that if I were ever in a hostile situation again I'd have the ability and skill to stand my ground and protect my loved ones.

Repeating that experience has been my main concern ever since, especially with society evolving into what it has become. Seems like a human life is now worth about $2 bucks on the streets of the city. And even less in a crowded shopping or entertainment area.

My situational radar pegged the meter after that experience and it hasn't changed much since. I'm now 24 years into my license to carry. Over a decade ago we moved away from the urban cesspool to acreage in the country. People out here all have livestock and all own firearms. It's common to hear target practice in the area on weekends when the weather is nice. Our perimeter is several hundred yards radius and the only thing that comes around is an occasional critter. But when we go into town for supplies and commodities my radar is on and turned up all the way.

·
Banned
210 Posts
I had two "gentlemen" try to rob me and they said if I did not give them my wallet they were going to kill me. That was before Texas where I lived at the time allowed Concealed Carry. My wife at the time was a Sheriff's Deputy. It was midnight and I carried my just legal Remington 870 short barreled 12 gauge. I turned on them racking a 2 3/4" 00 buck into the chamber and to make a long story short they decided they had an extremely pressing need to be any where but in front of my muzzle. I went inside and called in a description of them and their car though I could not get the plate.

They were not very intelligent robbers because the next week, the same two tried a home invasion in my apartment complex at 2 am and of all the apartments to pick they hit an off duty male deputy. This time they came armed so he buried one and his fellow deputies caught the other one about a 1/4 mile away. It's like Dirty Says; A man has to know his limitations. Those two sure didn't.

Now I don't know if it is still the same way in Texas since I have been gone form the Lone Star State for over 15 years but at one point Texas had the After Dark Law.

Here is a link: https://www.uslawshield.com/day-and-night-murder-or-self-defense-tx/

Remember that while you may not be criminally persecuted there is nothing to stop the family of the person you shot from suing you in Civil Court for wrongful death even if he was burglarizing, your home, car, etc. and carrying off your property. So one must think clearly what is at stake, and at risk before shooting someone. I am not saying not to. I am saying you must understand all the consequences before the day comes you have to take another's life.

·
Banned
117 Posts
I had two "gentlemen" try to rob me and they said if I did not give them my wallet they were going to kill me. That was before Texas where I lived at the time allowed Concealed Carry. My wife at the time was a Sheriff's Deputy. It was midnight and I carried my just legal Remington 870 short barreled 12 gauge. I turned on them racking a 2 3/4" 00 buck into the chamber and to make a long story short they decided they had an extremely pressing need to be any where but in front of my muzzle. I went inside and called in a description of them and their car though I could not get the plate.

They were not very intelligent robbers because the next week, the same two tried a home invasion in my apartment complex at 2 am and of all the apartments to pick they hit an off duty male deputy. This time they came armed so he buried one and his fellow deputies caught the other one about a 1/4 mile away. It's like Dirty Says; A man has to know his limitations. Those two sure didn't.

Now I don't know if it is still the same way in Texas since I have been gone form the Lone Star State for over 15 years but at one point Texas had the After Dark Law.

Here is a link: https://www.uslawshield.com/day-and-night-murder-or-self-defense-tx/

Remember that while you may not be criminally persecuted there is nothing to stop the family of the person you shot from suing you in Civil Court for wrongful death even if he was burglarizing, your home, car, etc. and carrying off your property. So one must think clearly what is at stake, and at risk before shooting someone. I am not saying not to. I am saying you must understand all the consequences before the day comes you have to take another's life.
In many states mine included if it is judged a "good shoot" there is no civil penalty.

·
Banned
210 Posts
In many states mine included if it is judged a "good shoot" there is no civil penalty.

I have two former brother-in-laws in Texas Law enforcement, as well as my former wife being a Texas Deputy when I lived in Texas, as I stated. The law did not exempt you from being sued my the perpetrator's surviving family members. That is not to say they will prevail but you will have to answer each and every lawsuit in civil court. I don't know how the laws are in other states but I would suggest people make themselves fully knowledgeable about all laws that will affect them upon the use of deadly force even in self defense. It is never cut and dried easy.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts