• OWB

Votes: 26 22.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to win a free Black Arch holster of your choice? Give us you feedback and have a chance to win!

We are looking for feedback on all types of concealed carry holsters (Hint. OWB from Black Arch is coming:smile:).

What features or combination of features do you find important on a holster? What is your preferred method of carry? (OWB, IWB, Appendix, etc.)

Responses will be given a score from 1 to 3 based on length of reply, with each point counting as an entry in the drawing. The more in depth your response the more entries you get!

To see our hybrid IWB holsters, go to www.blackarchholsters.com

·
Registered
335 Posts
I prefer AIWB carry at 1:00 (i'm right handed). In this position my sidearm is easy to access with either hand, and unlike the 4:00-6:00 locations, i'm not putting my arm into the start of a hammer lock in order to draw. Retention is easier from AIWB, printing (with the holster features listed below) is minimal, it's faster to draw and present, and comfortable while seated in the car or at my desk while still allowing full access. This is just my experienced based opinion of course, so other opinions may vary.

Material
I think Kyldex offers the thinnest and most rigid material for a holster. It doesn't flatten out like leather will if you remove the firearm, facilitating easy one-handed re-holstering. It also doesn't wick or retain moisture like leather can, nor will it soften up or stretch like leather will, so it is my preference in holster material.

Cut/Style
Another required feature is a combat cut holster body that allows a full purchase of the handgun grip while the gun is fully seated in the holster. I like to have a solid grip established before the start of the draw stroke as its the foundation for the upcoming series of events. Having the holster body cut low enough and molded tightly to the trigger guard allows this to occur.

Features
In addition to the combat cut, i've recently grown fond of what I call the 'gut lever'. It's a tab of Kydex that protrudes out from the holster at the belt line below and parallel to the gun grip. Utilizing leverage from belt tension, it positions the grip and butt of the gun more into the user's abdomen, with the effect of minimizing nearly all printing (once tuned correctly). I'm not a big dude, but I can hug my mother with a full size 1911 on my belt and she doesn't know.

Rigid sweat guards are a requirement since I sweat like crazy and hate rust. Rigidity is necessary because leather flaps that can fold or bend out and cover the holster opening are bad juju.

The foam wedge has been another recent innovation i've been experimenting with. Its another printing-minimization feature that attaches to the body of the holster between the users body, and cants the muzzle away from the leg, effectively tucking the top half of the gun into the abdomen a bit more. I'm still not sold on it, but I haven't stopped trying different ideas either. I'd prefer a manufacturer give me a non-permanent option with an AIWB rig so I can try and decide for myself.

One feature that my current rig does not have that I would really like is adjustable retention. Currently my holster is a full kydex shell with molded non-adjustable protrusions in the front of the trigger guard for retention points. It works, but it's not the best and the entire holster would have to be remade to allow for an adjustment feature.

Clips/attachment
Right now I prefer metal belt clips because I haven't had nylon, plastic, or kydex ones that have held up. Single-clip designs are convenient, but tend to print more by making the overall package wider. The AIWB rig i'm currently carrying in has 2 clips to minimize overall holster width and help spread the weight of my all-steel officers 1911. I've had success with snapping leather loops, and prefer them to the plastics, but they tend to still be a bit bulky for my tastes.

Other accessories
I have a separate mag carrier for 11:00 AIWB. I tried the 'sidecar' idea because i liked the precieved "all-in-one ease of use" idea, but it just wasn't comfortable. I'm still open to the idea, I just got impatient with trying to find the sweetspot and gave up. I'm still open to trying to find a solution though.....

All of this has been written with an overtone of engineering and manufacturing, that's because I went looking for an AIWB holster last year after picking up my new gun and no one had one with these features that fit both me AND the gun, so I had to make my own. Mine works well enough, but lacks a few features and the polished finish of a retail offering (hintidy hint hint). Don't get me wrong, I've tried a ton of other carry positions and holsters, I've got 2 Rubbermaid drawers full of them to prove it and my gun to holster ratio is heavily skewed. My personal experience and training has led me to my current carry method and equipment, though I'm always on the lookout for better offerings.

Reactions: BenGoodLuck

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Weekdays at work I carry TIWB crossdraw 11:00 (weak side) or ankle. Because weekdays I need 100% concealed and as undetectable in indoor work pants and tucked in shirt as possible.

Weekends I carry TIWB 5:00 (strong side). Tucked in warm weather but in the cooler 3/4 of the year I can get away with IWB and an overshirt, vest , jacket or coat.

Cooler weather where I plan on leaving a coat or vest on I wear a OWB holster under a jacket and on weekends all the time; but under a jacket anything goes and is much less critical.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I like leather IWB with a reinforced top and snap not clips to hold on belt L/handed also. I want a 15 to 20 degree rake , open bottom. I carry Compact 1911's so I set up for my officer 3 1/2" . Then my LTW Commander will work or my Defender . I want a sweat guard to keep pistol off my body. I have never met a plastic holster I liked . I used leather all my adult life and 2 old to change now .

·
Registered
8,646 Posts
I prefer outside the waistband and pocket carry. In an outside the waistband holster it must be comfortable to wear under all situations (walking, seated, lying down, etc.). It must hug my body closely so that the pistol rides as close to the body as I can get it. It must not slide around, have good retention yet draw easily. It must be quiet when I move. I prefer a pistol with a 15 degree forward cant. It also must be easy to reholster without looking. Ease of installing it on my belt and removing it from my belt is essential. I am more concerned with function than appearance. It must be 100% reliable.

For a pocket holster, it must conceal the pistol with a minimum of excess bulk. It must protect the trigger properly. A pocket holster should have a good mechanism for securing the holster in the pocket when the pistol is drawn so that the holster does not come out of the pocket with the pistol during the draw.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
I like all Kydex single clip AIWB. I like the concept of a wedge to keep handle of firearm close to body. Some makers offer a foam wedge I use a formed wedge that was built into the mold, by the holster maker. I am not big on those designs that offer WINGS.

I just like plain simple functional AIWB.

For. OWB I'd like a level II THUMB BREAK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Everyone learns what works best for them through the experience of buying holsters that don't work for them.

What I have found works best for me is cant. I am skinny so the grip of larger guns tend to stick out towards the back unless my holster has a lot of cant. I usually go for holsters with adjustable cant so I can get it just right.

If you carry all the time, and you must dress up a little, it may be necessary to be able to tuck in your shirt. I like to have that option. Tuck able is a must for my smaller guns.

Several holster makers use a neoprene backing on their holsters. I have found this to be a very good thing, particularly in warm weather. Much more comfy than sweaty leather or plain kydex against my skin. This also affords a small measure of padding which for me makes a big difference carrying a heavy gun all day.

Adjustable retention is nice. Break in of leather holsters can take a little while. Some stretch too much and others seem to take for ever if at all. Kydex is more consistent if the holster is made correctly for the customers preference. But this can be hit and miss, so adjustable tension allows the user to get it set to their liking.

Stability. This comes down to what you like. At first I was a single clip guy, but for larger guns one clip usually allows too much movement. I like two clips for large and one for small. Location of the clip on singles is a make or break for me. I must have the clip off to the side of the gun to minimize thickness.

Durable and in conspicuous clips. Taking the holster on and off every day can fatigue plastic clips causing them to break. Extra clips are always good. The clip also needs to be small/low profile. They need to blend in when the shirt is tucked. Metal is ok if they don't look too obvious.

I have a favorite brand already which covers 98% of what I need, but I do like to try other holsters from time to time, looking for the perfect carry.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,814 Posts
I prefer a heavy leather pancake holster with a sweat shield carried at 3:00 on my belt with a leather double magazine carrier worn at 9:00 on my belt. Exotic leather is a plus.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
AIWB for a long, long time for me. I designed and built two AIWB rigs, offering them to the market place in 2013. For me there are just so many pluses: concealment, ease of access with either hand from many different body positions, allows me to carry a larger weapon in more forms of dress, lots of sleight of hand ways to draw without an adversary seeing a tell, etc.

I prefer a simple design with a built in feature to wedge the grip in tight, against the bodies natural curvature.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I normally carry IWB strong side but now and then I will carry crossdraw if im sitting a lot. I like a good IWB Kydex or leather holster..I have and use both.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I carry IWB strong side, and for me the first and most important factor is comfort. Concealability is second.

I currently have a single-clip leather holster, and it is my favorite for daily carry. It's comfortable, and I can take off/put on the holster with the gun already in it very easily.

I also have a 2-clip hybrid holster that I wear when I know I'm going to be doing things that require a lot of physical movement or activity (it's a lot more stable and stays in position better). I also wear it for IDPA, because when you are gaming you end up having to reholster your weapon a lot. The 2-clip holster lends itself to that kind of activity much more readily.

If I could find a 2-clip hybrid holster that was as comfortable and user-friendly as my leather one, I would wear a 2-clip all the time.

I have an OWB holster also, but the way I dress (even in the winter, it doesn't get very cold here) doesn't really lend itself to OWB carry.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
I love leather, particularly fancy BBQ work. However, the heat and humidity of the deep south dictate that I use kydex for my EDC.

I've evolved to an all-kydex IWB holster that fully covers the slide on the inside, with a j-clip properly sized for the belt on a slight cant. Nothing fancy to look at, but it keeps the gun secure, dry and concealed. I carry strong side, just behind the blade of my hip with my shirt untucked.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Want to win a free Black Arch holster of your choice? Give us you feedback and have a chance to win!

We are looking for feedback on all types of concealed carry holsters (Hint. OWB from Black Arch is coming:smile:).

What features or combination of features do you find important on a holster? What is your preferred method of carry? (OWB, IWB, Appendix, etc.)

Responses will be given a score from 1 to 3 based on length of reply, with each point counting as an entry in the drawing. The more in depth your response the more entries you get!

To see our hybrid IWB holsters, go to www.blackarchholsters.com
We're new to carry, here in Il-i-noise. Exactly what I do is evolving.

IWB, strong side, right on my hip or a bit behind it, using a hybrid style holster (Aliengear). Aliengear is "OK, for the money". I have 3. I will probably try something else next time I go shopping.

IWB, molded Kydex/plastic. I have a couple Galco Triton's, that work well for me.

IWB appendix I don't see doing. I'm heavy, with a protruding gut. I can't see appendix being comfortable. There's also the whole bit with where the muzzle's pointing that bothers me.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i mostly carry IWB around 330. i use a two clip hybrid "crossbreed-ish" holster and i really like it, I've had it for a couple years now and its still going strong. i do carry a small gun. S&W shield to be exact so I'm not too worried about being made or printing. even with just a single tee shirt as a cover garment.

the most important factor for me is comfort and with the one i have its no problem. most of the time i forget its even there. when i was looking for a carry gun a buddy gave me some good advice that was, "choose a gun based on how well it conceals, and choose a holster on comfort."

i do sometimes carry my shield OWB but only during the real cold of winter. i carry in a serpa. i do this because i can get to it easier and quicker in the event i need it.

whenever i go hiking or camping i carry my full size fns 9 in a serpa as well. the reason that i love the serpa holsters so much is the retention it offers and the ability to go from belt to paddle to molle compatible with just a few turns of a screw driver.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Most important factors are:

Durability - it has to hold up to rigorous use and hold its shape

Looks/Aesthetics - it must be pleasing to the eye, particularly important if it's an OWB

Holster maker factors - it can't set you back a small fortune, and if it takes more than a month to ship then I'm not interested (still don't know why some people wait months for holsters)

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I prefer a shoulder holster. It's easier to access in a car or while seated than any other type I've tried, doesn't get in the way of using pockets, doesn't require a different size of pants, is comfortable, etc.

However, what is deemed suitable attire for the various places I go normally drives me to use a strong side IWB or ankle set up.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts