Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you prepared to say or not say when asked by a friend, family member, church member or other if you're carrying concealed?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
My friends all carry so that response is easy. Family, brother knows and still n teh fence about it, Mom does not nor does she need to know. That would be akin to opening pandora's box. Church member, well I have not been to church since the Regan Administration so that response is easy as well.

~A

·
Registered
742 Posts
In about 40 years of carrying, never been ask, and never volunteer information.

Family (youngest kid is 45) knows.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Don't Ask, Don't Tell?

HighFever said:
What are you prepared to say or not say when asked by a friend, family member, church member or other if you're carrying concealed?
Most of my friends are fairly conservative and all my friends know of my political and 2nd Amendment activism. My Letters to the Editor appear about 4-6 times a year, so the liberals at school all know, too. Since I'm an NRA certified Firearms Instructor and I keep myself in guns and ammo by giving the classes for the Florida Concealed Weapons permit, it's to my advantage that folks know I'm usually armed. Besides you'd be AMAZED at the number of folks who want to be walked through darkened parking garages after seeing a movie with a bunch of friends! Usually it's the wife that asks. That usually prompts the husband to ask about class availability. LOL

One of the guys I shoot with is also an elder in our church and he is ALWAYS armed during services and with the full knowledge of the pastor and staff.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Well my friends- I can pick my friends. I've even converted one over from a gun control believer to a Glock owner.

My family - they know me too well. I had to tell them I was seeking my permit. But they're full of suprises. My mother thinks it is wonderful I am trying to get my license and learning how to shoot better because I'm the first kid out of the house and she worries about me a lot. That's a relief.

Anyone else - don't ask don't tell. Concealed means concealed.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If no one asks then I don't tell. With people that are not into guns you will get mixed responses if they find out you have a concealed handgun.

If someone asked me then I might tell them. But it depends on why or how they came to ask me in the first place. Most of my friends that go shooting with me know so if they ask I tell them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
In the military, . . . answers to questions are always given on a "need to know" basis. That is exactly how I have approached my CCW.

For example, several of my co-workers know I have my license, including my boss, . . . but only one has ever known when he was with me when I was carrying (he was too, . . . we took our CCW classes together).

As far as family goes, . . . I have some who have not use for guns in their opinions. I respect their opinion and would not carry in their house. You can also understand that I don't go to their house very often either.

Basically, however, it comes down to the question: "What good is it if they know?" If there is no overpowering need, . . . then there is no need, . . . and their knowing just might get you into the wrong situation.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Administrator
143,595 Posts
Great Answers

My family knows that I carry & of course the wife and a select Very Few other close folks.
I never have been asked "out of the blue" by anybody or by any stranger & I never mention the fact or bring it up in conversation.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My wife pat's me down from time to time:))), but my father in law is the only one who has ever asked.

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
Dwight55 said:
In the military, . . . answers to questions are always given on a "need to know" basis. That is exactly how I have approached my CCW.

For example, several of my co-workers know I have my license, including my boss, . . . but only one has ever known when he was with me when I was carrying (he was too, . . . we took our CCW classes together).

As far as family goes, . . . I have some who have not use for guns in their opinions. I respect their opinion and would not carry in their house. You can also understand that I don't go to their house very often either.

Basically, however, it comes down to the question: "What good is it if they know?" If there is no overpowering need, . . . then there is no need, . . . and their knowing just might get you into the wrong situation.

May God bless,
Dwight
My philosophy, exactly. All of my family pretty much knows and has no problem with it so I don't have to worry about whether they are sensitive to it or not. Both my brothers carry. Two of my kids are planning on it along with my future son-in-law. My Dad keeps a pistol for home protection so they have no problem (although if someone is prowling their house they will call me I am sure). Anyone that I run across that does have a problem I will simply not visit. :wink:

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
I always answer honestly when asked by someone I know. If I am carrying, I say so, if I'm not I say so. I teach CCW classes, so like ExSoldier it is a small benefit to me for people to know me as someone who carries and provides training. I also work part-time at the local gun shop and get asked about concealed carry. While most of the employees at the gun shop carry openly, I carry concealed when I'm there. It helps demonstrate to people that you can conceal almost any defensive handgun if you are willing to work at it a little.

Now if asked out of the blue by someone I do not know, I would ask why they would ask such a question. I would have to assume I was exposed somehow.

-Scott-

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Other than a few friends who also own guns, I don't recall anyone ever asking. I don't usually tell, but there have been some occasions where I did since it was for their own safety (e.g. a few friends knew why I insisted we all walk together thru some parts of Boston to the subway station).

I don't carry all the time, but usually do when I'm heading into Boston at night. A few weeks ago we attended a company party from my Wife's employer. The place got hot and my Wife suggested that I take off my sweater. I just politely said that I couldn't. When we got home and I took the sweater off, she said "Oh, now I understand why you couldn't take it off at the party" :smile:

Back in the days of the Boston Computer Society (BCS), I used to volunteer to work the many trade shows in Boston. We were invited out to the Avalon (night club) after the show was closed down by Novell and I was CCW. We ate, drank and danced. We were part of a long conga-line dancing thru the nightclub when I felt a hand touch the butt of my handgun. I glanced around and saw it was the Membership Director of the BCS and was much relieved. She was a young Irish lady who grew up in Belfast, knew that I carried a gun and was a Special PO and it was a non-issue. Could have been a major issue if it were someone else!

Basically "don't ask, don't tell" is a good policy.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Flasher!!!

Scott said:
I would have to assume I was exposed somehow.-Scott-
Ever had that happen to you? I'm going to start a thread on that!

·
Registered
330 Posts
The folks that know I carry, know I do so concealed. So when they ask, its done pretty quietly, or worded in a way that most people wouldnt notice. My family doesnt ask, they assume I'm armed unless I'm at school picking up one of the kids, which, other than work, is the only pretty much the only "gun-free" place I go.

Just about the only person thats asked me is a friend from work. We see each other outside of work pretty often, and we're normally running the roads in one of his vehicles. If we were get stopped by one of the areas finest (we have to notify LEOs in NC), he knows that he'll probably have to hand the officer my license and permit. Since the answer was always yes, he hasnt asked in a while. If we do get stopped, he may ask then, if I dont remind him first.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Depends on who asks. Stranger I will ask why should I carry?
If it one of my friends I ask do I look as if I am carrying?

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Never been asked. My friends know I carry, and my GF finds my pistols occasionally. family either doesn't care or figures I'm carrying. I don't tell unless its someone I know well. Otherwise its none of their business.

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
I have been accused of being ”as bad as an evangelical preacher” when it comes to guns and the second amendment, and how many evangelicals do you know that are the “don’t ask don’t tell” type when it comes to their religion? I don’t go around “flashing” or yelling “I’m carrying a gun” but people I know I tell up front that I have my permit and make it a usual practice to carry. We usually get into a discussion about it, I lay out the reasons for carrying and I have helped several of them get their permits and they are now carrying. In fact I usually carry packets of Florida applications and pass them out to people.

There are advantages to people knowing you carry, when I was dating my first wife her family knew I carried, her dad was a nut case (mostly a big act) and would go off the deep end from time to time and kept the family in fear of him so he could get his way. I was visiting one time and he storms into the kitchen from the back door and we were in the living room, he was carrying a hatchet and yelling he was tired of everything going against him and he was going to kill everyone and be done with it. I just very calmly said “Don, if you step one foot in the living room, I’m going to have to kill you, and you and I both know they won’t do a thing to me because you’re crazy”. He stood there a few seconds pondering that, turned around without saying a word and went back to his work shop, her mom just laughed and said “Well, Donald may be crazy, but he’s not stupid”!
We dated another couple years and then were married for 5, the whole time he never threw one of his tantrums while I was around.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts