Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a lot of controversy out about FNH's 5.7 x 28 and I wonderd what yall had to say about it.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
I see no problem with it.

Looks like a intersting Gun for a fun Gun 20 rounders and the whole defeats currert body armor well yawn big deal lots of rounds do ..

Now the FN P90 that looks like fun supposed to be a semi auto version out this year that would be a fun combo then.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont think it is very practical for an everyday carry weapon I do however think it would make a nice plinker. As far as ammo the only round not available is the SS190 which is the armor piercing round. Target gun yes, Protector no?

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Yeah the ss190 is one not avaible but i think the Soft points will still do a large amount of damage at the speed its at i see the bullet coming apart and doing a lot of damage that way

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also think with a soft point there would be a lot of damage. But a 30 grain 22 mag has a comparable velocity.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I handled one at a recent gun show and was not impressed with the ergonomics of the piece. 20 rds is impressive but I'd much rather do the job at the top of the magazine rather than the bottom. As we all know, every round downrange in a SHTF situation that misses is either a potential wrongful death lawsuit or a criminal charge.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
IMO a severely over-hyped gun.

I would try one from interest' POV but have no wish to waste money on such - way better platforms have my interest.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
good for hard targets , but IMO too easy for over penetration, as well as a less than optimal wound cavity, unless the bullets fragment. I handled 1, but didnot get to shoot it. felt light weight. It seems like a great defensive weapon for support troops.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I've shot one. Nothing special - almost no kick. It'd be an ideal cartridge for those who are extremely recoil shy if made in a smaller platform since it'll be more reliable in ignition than a 22LR, for instance. Overall weight was also very low, which is an advantage for all-day carry type purposes.

20 rounds in a gun don't impress me. I have 17+1 in the Sigs of a round with a more proven track record. ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Being a troop i would mu rather have a good 40 smith or 45 on my side just for the pure fact that they are tried and true.

·
Administrator
143,576 Posts
I'm LukeWarm On It.

It's semi~neat but, I can live without ever owning one.

·
Registered
125 Posts
personally i would rather make one big hole then have to make several small ones. I don't carry as i am a few months shy of the legal age but where i live i doubt there are any BG's that wear body armor, so the AP aspect doesn't really help. And even if they did, i doubt that they would be able to stay on their feet after 230 grains of lead hit them in the chest.....

ps. body armor or no body armor, it still won't save them from a HS.

"Aim small, miss small"

·
Registered
324 Posts
Out of a P90, its a bit more interesting... but the handgun... Its only a curio to me. Id rather have any of FN's other pistols. They still make a fine 9MM and 9MM still does just fine. .40 if you feel otherwise.
If you are wanting a handgun that can zip body armor, the CZ-52 has been doing that reliably for decades.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i got to shoot a full auto P-90 once. Was a joy to shoot, very accurate on full auto. But for a handgun i'd prefer 9mm.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I suspect that ammo will get beyond just scarce. FN says they have no ammo that they'll sell in quantity (or they just don't really have much left). Winchester did the first run of the stuff, they say they will not run any more.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Just wait until the antis figure out that 7.62x25 shot out of a gun you can pick up for $99 penetrates armor just as well (if not better) than the 5.7mm civilian ammo.

As for 5.7mm for CCW ... sounds pretty silly to me since 99.99999% of street criminals don't wear body armor.

I'll stick with my 165gr .40 Rangers or 115gr 9mm Gold Dots thankyouverymuch

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Zundfolge said:
Just wait until the antis figure out that 7.62x25 shot out of a gun you can pick up for $99 penetrates armor just as well (if not better) than the 5.7mm civilian ammo.

As for 5.7mm for CCW ... sounds pretty silly to me since 99.99999% of street criminals don't wear body armor.

I'll stick with my 165gr .40 Rangers or 115gr 9mm Gold Dots thankyouverymuch

SHHHHHH dont tell um stuff they arent smart enough to figure out

1 - 20 of 21 Posts