Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been less of an issue for me since I've purchased IWB holsters, but was sometimes a problem with OWB. I have a friend , a Missouri State Trooper , that told me not to get a photo vest. The reason , he explained ,is that it screams "GUN" to anyone with knowledge of such things (LE). So one day , while strolling through our local Wally-World ,I noticed these not- so -lovely MLB baseball jerseys.Much cheeper than a vest and I blend in with all of the locals and the tourists here at the lake. They hang down far enough to easily conceal my belt holster with a service-sized auto. So I was just wondering what other ideas might be out there.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Any convering garment - flannel shirt, overlarge t-shirt, light jacket, etc...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
This may sound elitist or even snobby (which is not my intent), but I wear polo shirts because the shirts look preppie and people view me as such and also allows me to blend in more. That is what I have been wearing lately here in Vegas. In the winter I wear etiher a Navy Peacoat or a Leather MC Jacket.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Cover Garments

I have found 3 good sources for cover garments. 1: Concealed Carry Outfiters at www.ConcealedCarryOutfiters.com 2: King Size Direct at www.KingSizeDirect.com and 3 Duluth Trading Company at www.DuluthTrading.com.
I recomend all 3 of these places without reservation due to their quality stuff, range of sizes and styles and their fast turnaround.

As for my choice of cover garments I like vest for casual fridays type dress and a lite shirt or jacket for other times.

KRobb

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
KRobb, I have seen a few gents wearing vests like the 5.11 variety and that just screamed "concealed carry" but I guess that is to a trained eye that has his situational awareness radar up and running.

If it works for you and you can get it out fast, then run it. What is it like to wear a vest in high humidity in the summers in Ohio?

~A

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Depends what the locals wear... As Andy said he wears Polo.(what a snob :biggrin: ) No here he would stand out like a sore thumb except in Ann Arbor becuse of U of M

I typically go with tshirt flannel etc nothing that really calls attn to me

·
Registered
357 Posts
These days there are lots of options, depending on how "stealthy" you want to be. You could wear a shirt that had "Ask me about my gun" on the front and most people wouldn't give you a second glance. LEO's and CCW types, on the other hand, are a little tougher to fool. OTOH, if the good guys know, is that a bad thing?

I used to think the square-cut dress shirts made to be worn untucked were strictly for middle-age or older men, but I see a lot of young guys wearing them now. Polo shirts, camp shirts, larger T-shirts, football jerseys, etc. all work for summer. When the weather cools off, you have all kinds of options.

I'm going to try a couple of the "guayabera" style shirts to see how they work with slacks or khakis for those occasions when I think jeans aren't quite dressy enough.

Do a lot of people watching when you're out - you'll probably see some styles that might work for your build and dress requirements.

SSKC

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
Tucked in tshirt with a short sleeve button up, unbuttoned. It easily conceals my IWB or OWB and would work equally as well for a shoulder holster or just about any other way you want to carry. I have several Hawaiian shirts and several others with prints of fish, cars, etc. Even with the Hawaiian shirts I tend to look for the ones that aren't real bright or wild.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I usually wear a short sleeve shirt unbuttoned as a cover garmet, either that or my CampCo vest.
In the winter, it's my leather flight jacket.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Generally, I just wear a cotton or similar button down shirt with a tee shirt underneath.

For me it provides the concealment I want, but will also allow for easier drawing if needed.

Just my thoughts.

Be Safe

Bryan S. Williams
Williams Associates Protective Services, LLC

Main Website - www.wa-protective.com
New Book Website - www.wttrw.com

·
Registered
455 Posts
In the summer, my cover garment is a untucked short sleeve shirt over a t-shirt. When it gets cooler, either a long sleeve shirt tucked in over the holster or, if I don't want to tuck, my leather jacket or ski jacket covers the gun.

·
Registered
950 Posts
One size large Dickies work shirt they are excellent and I also buy my T - Shirts and Polo Shirts a size larger. I carry outside of the waist.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I usually wear Polo shirts year round. In the Summer I would just wear them untucked, but you have to be very careful not to print with a full size gun. This year I bought a vest from http://www.concealedcarryoutfitters.com/prod01.htm to keep my draw stroke the same year round. In the Spring/Fall I wear a Pantagonia type vest and in Winter a leather jacket. The vest does not scream GUN and even if a COP spots me it's not a big deal. It's the price I'll pay for consistency in draw.

I've worn the vest in 95 degree weather and it's no hotter than just a polo shirt, and the way it hangs allows me to forget about printing while sitting, etc.

My friend is thinking about the consistent draw issue a little more since he found a stranger in living room and was packing with only a cover shirt. He grabbed the gun like he normally does when he sweeps his over garment, only he had a handful of shirt between his hand and gun because he forgot to lift the shirt first.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I may have mentioned - right now in hot weather, it's a light weight denim Smith & Alexander vest over thin T-shirt. This is close to matching my denim shorts and certainly on the bike does not look outa place at all. Much as I overheat this does not make matters significantly worse.

If I am ''out and about'' with the vest I really do not think it ''shouts'' CCW tho to others who carry and LE it perhaps says ''I might be carrying, but IMO less than the classic photo vest. Much of time anyways when it is on - I have been riding and have dew rag also - and so what I wear says ''bike'' more than carry.

I keep cell phone left front pocket of that vest - and NAA mini right front - these items give just a bit of weight to help it hang well and reduce wind blow problems - the remainder of that is dealt with by judicious tucking in of right elbow against grips.

Cooler months are a cinch - just a long shirt, usually open - that's the real easy carry time - and in real cold weather - again long shirt but an insulated one.

I'll add one thing - much as certain garments get labelled ''shouts CCW'' - fanny packs too sometimes - IMO if concealment is good, no printing then any observer is still faced with ''maybe/maybe not''. I know for sure, anyone looking at me can but guess - at best! :smile:

·
Registered
998 Posts
I usually use a shirt as a cover garment. I normally CCW with an IWb or bellyband rig. I buy my shirts a little big to aid in concealment, and the bellyband allows for tucked carry if need be.

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
Photo Vest or 5.11 vest. Since I am in the "Protuberant" club, trying to get away with anything else is impossible and I hate light shirts because of the wind. However you will see all kinds of stuff non-gun related coming out of pockets: Keys heanging out, cell phone, notebooks, bandana, etc. Somebody sees me and I could be in the maybe/maybe not category. Besides, being in South Florida you will look weird wearing extra clothing no matter what 'cause of the heat. A vest makes more sense than a full fledged jacket or windbreaker. 99% of the times I have been asked if I was a photographer or a fisherman and only once a guy in a restaurant "made me." But then again he was wearing a sports coat at 2:00 pm in the middle of August so I made him too. We nodded to each other with a grin and kept at our business.

As for LEO's, my experience with them in Miami-Dade has been good related to CCW. Once I was getting gas for my vehicle and I went towards the store. Coming out were three MDPD officer and a gust of strong wind caught my vest and the gun was at full display. One of the officers saw it, smiled, waved and kept going with his buddies.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I usualy wear a button down shirt. That I keep unbuttoned with a tee shirt under it.
I can get away with just a tee, if its long enough.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts