and today it just hit me I don't know what it means.:embarassed:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does anyone here know what the model number
on a KelTec PF9 stands for
Pistol Flat

Edit: (don't know for sure, but)
Source = Combat Handgun, November 2009, Page 21, Kel-Tec PF-9 9mm, Author: Michael O. Humphries

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I had always assumed the KelTec PF9 was: (P)olymer, (F)lat, (9)mm.

And that the Kahr PM9 was: (P)olymer, (M)icro, (9)mm.

Don't know for certain.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have been told that it stands for
Polymer Frame
Do not know this for a fact but makes sense

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
The PF9 '9' is 9 rounds (8+1)

Just like the P11 is (10+1) but of course it is now 12+1 so it should be called a P13. :bier:

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Maybe it means absolutely nothing... ???

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Pretty freaking awesome

·
Registered
36,326 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Recoil

I was just reading about this gun today. A review I read stated that it beat the crap out of the author's hand and left his trigger finger sore from the trigger recoil.

Another mentioned that the factory said that the gun had a limited ability to stand up to +P loads.

Up until that point I'd been liking what I was reading about the gun for size and price and that it was American made.

What has been the experience of you guys that are actually using / practicing with this gun on a regular basis?

I'm by no means knocking the pistol. I'm looking to find out what consistent users of it think. Thanks.

Cliff

PS: Sources

Mousegunner's Review of the Kel-Tec PF-9 Pistol
"Kel-Tec says that a limited amount of Plus P rated ammunition can be used in the PF-9, so it is recommended that shooters do most of their practice with standard pressure ammo, and save the hot stuff for more serious use, firing enough of it through their pistols to assure compatibility with that particular gun. The slide of the PF-9 uses a bushingless design, the same as with Kel-Tec's other pistols. "

Kel-tec PF-9 handgun review | Gibberish Is My Native Language
"Recoil and report are both extreme. The Kel-tec is louder than my G27, which isn’t known for being a mouse. After my first round of shooting, I remarked that the PF-9 may be the only handgun that’s more uncomfortable to shoot than the Guardian. Trigger slap (rebound) is painful. My trigger finger hurt for two days after shooting the Kel-tec for the first time. I’ve named my PF-9 Ike in honor of such a vicious trigger slap. The last time I took it to the range, I got a blister on my palm from the PF-9’s jagged grip pattern. I am able to successfully double-tap my target at seven yards, but shooting my G27 is a dream in comparison."

·
Registered
60 Posts
From the KTOG (Kel-Tec owners group) website...

The Pistol Flat 9 is a semi-automatic, locked breech pistol, chambered for the 9 mm Luger cartridge. The PF-9 has a single stack magazine holding 7 rounds. It is the lightest and flattest 9 mm ever made.

I know this used to be on the Kel-Tec-CNC website, but I couldn't find it now.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I was just reading about this gun today. A review I read stated that it beat the crap out of the author's hand and left his trigger finger sore from the trigger recoil.
Kel-Tec pistols aren't plinkers. Due to their small size and light weight, recoil is a bit unpleasant. Both of mine (P-11 and P3AT) benefited enormously from judicious application of sandpaper to smooth out and reshape certain areas of the grips and triggers.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Another mentioned that the factory said that the gun had a limited ability to stand up to +P loads.
I bought my PF-9 just a few weeks ago. My only handgun in 20 years (in the '80s I had a Ruger Single Six 22). With virtually no previous experience I shot 100 round through it my first day at a range (two hours of one-on-one instruction. I felt nothing in the web of my hand, trigger finger.... I did feel a minor discomfort in my right shoulder (right handed shooting).

I can't compare recoil or noise to any other guns, even though I have since bought an XDm and a LCP (for my wife). I really have not noticed very much difference in recoil between the three. But, I'm new to this and probably am not very sensitive to the subtleties.

But the bottom line is that after 100 rounds on my first range excursion I felt no discomfort in my hand and only a little in my shoulder. But then, of course, I was just learning how to hold the gun, etc. Since then my trips to the range (with the PF9) have been less than 50 rounds in any one visit. I haven't shot 100 rounds in one trip since that first day.

·
Registered
60 Posts
All I can say is, he must be a sissy or has little girlie hands.
I regularly shoot 50 rounds every time I go to the range and never have a sore anything (and I don't even know what he is talking about saying "trigger recoil"). My wife even shoots mine. Although, she doesn't really like it, she never complains about it hurting her...and shes a pretty small lady...so, I can't imagine what that guys problem is.

I believe this is true...they say on their website to stick to standard loads for practice. I shoot one mag. of the 124 gr +P Gold Dot's (my prefered SD load) everytime I go to the range, just to make sure it still likes them. Otherwise, I shoot standard FMJ's for practice.

Up until that point I'd been liking what I was reading about the gun for size and price and that it was American made.

What has been the experience of you guys that are actually using / practicing with this gun on a regular basis?

I'm by no means knocking the pistol. I'm looking to find out what consistent users of it think. Thanks.
Overall, I like the pistol for when a small (pocket...?) gun is appropriate. I bought it mostly for the size...price was not the issue for me. Although, I really feel under-gunned when I'm not carrying my .45, I do trust my PF9 or I wouldn't carry it.

Have you checked the KTOG website? KTOG.Org - Kel-Tec Owners Group
You will actually get both sides of the story from lots of owners there.

Hope this helps
Chet

·
Registered
328 Posts
"What has been the experience of you guys that are actually using / practicing with this gun on a regular basis?"

"I'm by no means knocking the pistol. I'm looking to find out what consistent users of it think. Thanks."

I bought my first one in Dec. '06 and second in Nov.'07. Over 2000rds thru first and 1200+ thru second. I had carried a j frame 357 loaded w/357s and an airweight 38 loaded w/+Ps so after adding Handall Jr. slip on grip, the recoil dosen't bother me much as long as I shoot 50-75 rds/session. Shot enought +p thru both to test for velocity, accuracy, reliability & expansion/penetration. No problems and neither have needed any repairs. Does take some getting use to a 12+oz 9mm especially grip. BUG in cool weather & primary when hot.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts