Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was refering back to the Glock website to check caliber/model number since I don't have them memorized yet.
If you scroll down just past the .45 ACP's (G21, G30 and G36) you'll see the G25 and G28 in the elusive .380 caliber.

I'd totally forgot about them. Never seen one in the gun shops. And don't recall anyone here mentioning them. The size/weight dimensions are so close to the G26 that I don't see how it could compete against Kel-tec or Kahr. If I'm gonna stick a pound and a half of gun in my pocket, I'll take the 9mm over a .380, obviously.

Do they actually still make them?
Any insights?

·
Super Moderator
17,562 Posts
IIRC they do not meet the size requirements to be imported and they are not made in the USA.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I heard something similar. I guess to import a firearm you have to get a certain number of "points" on a scale where various things are taken into account such as size, caliber, capacity, weight, specified usage etc.

I don't know for certain how accurate this information is. I also heard that the compact and sub-compact glocks have to have the ribbed trigger which is labeled as a "target style trigger" or something in order to meet such requirements for import. While the larger guns have a smooth face trigger.

Sounds plausible, but I have no evidence other than word of mouth.

Also remember that .380acp was very popular in Europe, actually in many countries the officers don't regularly carry a gun and only specially privileged officers do. Having said that .380 is known as a 9mm short.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just another example of why I despise politicians and bureaucrats.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Just another example of why I despise politicians and bureaucrats.
Well, they have to be careful with firearms imports. I think some of the regulations are out of date by today's world standards though. I mean way back when you had communist countries in eastern europe (eastern Germany as well) and I could see being restrictive a bit there. Today that's not really an issue and I think a more open mind with it is a good idea. However, some of the firearms that come out of China and countries such as that could be deemed unsafe in some way. I mean if they have lead paint in children's toys what stops them from using faulty safeties on the firearms they export?

It is also somehwat expensive to import firearms to the US. It's why most manufacturers just build them here. SIG gets the parts from Germany and does the final building here as far as I know.

·
Banned
160 Posts
Well, they have to be careful with firearms imports. I think some of the regulations are out of date by today's world standards though. I mean way back when you had communist countries in eastern europe (eastern Germany as well) and I could see being restrictive a bit there. Today that's not really an issue and I think a more open mind with it is a good idea. However, some of the firearms that come out of China and countries such as that could be deemed unsafe in some way. I mean if they have lead paint in children's toys what stops them from using faulty safeties on the firearms they export?

It is also somehwat expensive to import firearms to the US. It's why most manufacturers just build them here. SIG gets the parts from Germany and does the final building here as far as I know.

Good points, excellent post.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
....and the 380 is the same size as the 9mm; so whats the point in having one anyway?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Those are made for countries that have laws prohibiting civilians from having the same caliber firearms as the military. Most military sidearms worldwide are 9x19 para, so they are only allowed to own non 9x19 para. The 380 (9x17) fits, along with other calibers.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I'm kinda with Sixto on this one...I mean, the G25 is a G19/G23/G32 chambered in .380...why, when you could have it in 9mm/.40/.357Sig? Same with the G28-G26/27/33...doesn't make sense for US shooters.

As I understand it, they're mainly exported to South America, where several countries have .380 as the largest caliber civilians can own (not so much the 9mm being a military round, vs .380...neither is .40 or .357Sig, but those are still prohibited).

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
....and the 380 is the same size as the 9mm; so whats the point in having one anyway?
Maybe a collector of some type could find a home for such a gun.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Those are made for countries that have laws prohibiting civilians from having the same caliber firearms as the military. Most military sidearms worldwide are 9x19 para, so they are only allowed to own non 9x19 para. The 380 (9x17) fits, along with other calibers.
Exactly. Some countries don't allow what they consider military calibers. they are popular in those countries.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The scoring system is known as "factoring criteria for weapons" and is detailed on ATF Form 4590.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Good info

Now may I get a Glock 18 please?

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Exactly. Some countries don't allow what they consider military calibers. they are popular in those countries.
.40 and .357Sig aren't military calibers...it's more of a caliber restriction to .380 and less.

·
Registered
332 Posts
IIRC they do not meet the size requirements to be imported and they are not made in the USA.
Glock also told me that there is no demand in the USA for the .380 since Americans usually like the minimum caliber of 9mm.

·
Registered
201 Posts
According to my research.

The Glock 26 is 75 points and the minimum it be imported into the US is 75 points. Anything less and we don't get it in the US. Walther got around it by making .380 ACP guns in the US. That way it isn't imported, it is domestic, points don't matter then.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
US Virgin Is limit you to 380, also, I read.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts