Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than a handgun, what else do you carry?

My backups are a kubaton with a wad of keys tucked into the waistband (keys hanging out, somewhat like a janitor) and a Benchmade AFCK on a pocket clip(years old, but still the best knife I've ever owned).

In a headslapper, I realized not too long ago, that I carry all of them strong side, so I'm trying to train myself to carry the AFCK in the other pocket.

On a side note, I own a DTL Kerambit, but have never carried it. I'd like to, but have never figured out how. Is there a better way than just tucked in a pocket?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I manage a couple of section 8 rental buildings and some of those can be scary (yeah even here in Maine) I've been advised by my lawyer I have to retreat if attacked, but I always carry a big can of OC and I have a HUGE keychain (all those APT. keys) I keep a 3D Maglite in my truck, and I have a Pelican M6 (I have to go in basements regularly anyway). Oh and I wear steel toed combat boots.

But like I said, I am under a heavy obligation to retreat as a Property Manager.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Other - well currently just left pocket Kershaw Scallion. On belt weak side, Leatherman Wave and an E1e.

That's about it tho a fair bunch of keys too on front belt loop. I transitioned wallet from rear right to rear left too soon after I started carrying - feels normal now but took a while to get used to that.

Recently got a Benchmade 670 "Apparition" which is better size but heavy - that will do fine in some other pants.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
in addition to my handgun I carry a double-edged fixed blade (CRKT Companion), a couple of folders (Spyderco Enduras), and a Flashlight (Surefire 6P).

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I carry a Benchmade Mini-Stryker and I've also got a Surefire E2E and a Leatherman in my purse.

I'm a big fan of the AFCK, but haven't carried mine in years - it eats holes through my jeans because it's so big. I'm on the lookout for the little AFCK.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I carry a Spyderco ParaMilitary clipped to my strong side front pocket. It's a weapon of absolute last resort, honestly I don't even think of it as a weapon at all. It's a tool and a good one, I use it on a daily basis. My other backup weapon is my fleet feet. :wink:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Cyclops light, Kershaw Leek, and Cell phone in weak side pocket. KT P3AT backup in a desantis nemisis, strong side pocket. Keys hang from a caribiner on my strong side. Backup P3AT mag in watch pocket.

I really need to pick up a light/mag combo holster for weak side pocket. Planning on doing so at the same time as I replace the nemisis with something more sturdy, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
You gentlemen and ladies should firstly check carefully your state and local laws for what is permissable for carry. I find that a very large amount of the people with a carry permit don't know what they can and can't legally carry in their vech. or on their person.

Allot of times you have to change your defensive weapons because of local codes or ordanances.

Find out these facts first. Then carry what you feel that you might need to defend yourself and family. I will never hand my firearm to a known person but could possibly hand my wife or close friend a blade or a impact weapon.

For me,it's a single pistol(7+1),an extra mag of 7,and a 6(or so)inch double edged streight blade. Also,depending on what clothes I'm wearing,where I'm going,and who I'll be with,I could possibly carry a expandable nightstick(26" ASP) or a SAP.

Hey,I don't want to have to shoot anybody unless they really force me to. But I do have a friend that is in reconstructive denistery that is putting their son through school. --------

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
HAK, pocket stick, Inova light, folder (Kershaw, Spydie, MT), Perrin money clip, Jones stylus, Rotring 600, 2 rings of keys on a snap-leash.:smile:

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Bet nobody mentions this one....

CopperKnight said:
Other than a handgun, what else do you carry??
You mean besides a spare magazine, right? Having said that, I always carry a SureFire Nitrolon G2 and a Spyderco Delica, combo edge. Oh and I have this small fetish, dunno why, but I always have to have some spongy earplugs on me. I think that if I have the time I'd like to think I'd remember to put them in. Must be a fear that my hearing notch will increase. When I got my ETS physical, they put me in the sound booth and registered a 4% loss, from running too many ranges of various types and being around too many arty simulators.:duh:

·
Registered
336 Posts
+ 1 on the spare mag. I also carry a Gerber mini-covert, and a cell phone .

·
Registered
753 Posts
Kershaw Blur, Freeze +P

·
Registered
862 Posts
Surefire 6p with a 120 lumen lense.
waved Spyderco Delica , or a Emerson LeGreffe.
Spitfire pepper spray on my key chain
Kubaton

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, Ex, I hadn't considered that. I carry 2 speed loaders and also a Schrade Tough on my belt.

I noticed a couple of people carry cell phones. A word of advice about those, (Just for info, my day job is as a supervisor for a 911 center), and it's something that should come as a practiced habit for most of the people here... you have to know where you are for those to be effective. Many, many, smaller communities across the country can't get your location from the cell phone call, many of the smaller cell service providers, and many of the older cell phones don't have the capability to provide this to the 911 dispatchers when the call center is able to receive it. And, on top of that, lots of the information that comes into the center has a large "uncertainty" factor, which means it will give a lat/long and say that you are within "100 meters" or more (I see several hundred meters frequently) of the dot on the map. When in an urban area, that isn't much help. The main point is, for the cell phone to be effective, you must know your location! Be sure to make that a part of knowing your surroundings, especially in an unfamiliar place.

OK, I feel better. Didn't mean to be the lecturer. File it in the back of your head under the "knowing how to use your tools" departement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
On duty i got the bat belt with oc, asp, & all the other fine toys.

I always have some kind of S&W SWAT knife (i have a few varieties) aloong with a cell. Then sometimes my TDI knife, sometimes my S&W HRT boot knife along with whichever firearm i take for the day, depends on what kind of mood im in.

·
Registered
641 Posts

Springfield Armory XD45 and a SOG Pentagon Elite

·
Super Moderator
23,958 Posts
CopperKnight said:
When in an urban area, that isn't much help. The main point is, for the cell phone to be effective, you must know your location! Be sure to make that a part of knowing your surroundings, especially in an unfamiliar place.

OK, I feel better. Didn't mean to be the lecturer. File it in the back of your head under the "knowing how to use your tools" departement.
Understood - its good info and a great reminder! :yup:

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I also carry my Cold Steel Recon 1 and I also wear a custom neck knife.I also have a Cold Steel cane that I bring along when we go to the fair or into the city.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts