Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this subject has been dealt with before but I would like to know if something is missing.

What else is needed for EDC? AT first all I thought I needed was a CHL and handgun already had cell phone, short time after added spare mag, then came the folding knife, and small tactical flashlight showed up next. Have I missed anything? Not a LEO, not enforcing the law, not proactive by going into bad areas knowingly, but try to be situation aware and have chosen not to be a victim. BTW wife has all the above but the knife and she is looking for what is right for her hand. We try to always stay in condition yellow, and watch out for each other, and when out and about by ourselves we both move to a deeper yellow if possible.

Your thoughts and advise would be a help to me and may be other who are wondering about their EDC.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
You might consider adding some OC spray.:yup:
If you decide to buy some...buy two and experiment with one so that you know the distance, type of spray, and how it might feel if it blows back into your own eyes...we should know these things.:yup:

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Everyone needs a box of holsters... :rofl:

+1 on the OC spray...

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Not sure what everyone else carries but my defensive gear is -

Gun
Holster
Folding pocket knife with pocket clip
Tactical pocket light with pocket clip

It's not much but I think I have the basics covered.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Your attorney's business card! :image035:

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
I like carrying some form of less than lethal options.

My EDC is cell phone, two guns, spare ammo, flashlight, OC spray, folding knife. (Flashlight is long enough to be used as a Kubotan impact weapon.)

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You might consider adding some OC spray.:yup:
If you decide to buy some...buy two and experiment with one so that you know the distance, type of spray, and how it might feel if it blows back into your own eyes...we should know these things.:yup:
Been looking around for a good carry product. Bought pepper spray for my daughter some years ago. She liked to ride her bike and dog would chase her and try to nip at her heels. One good shot of pepper spray and the next time she came down that street said dog would go set on pouch or just leave the area. This may well be a very good option for both wife and I. After thought, I hope she does not decide to test product on me as it could turn into a very bad day!!!

·
Registered
288 Posts
You sound like things are pretty well handled.

You could carry a small "What to do if you had to draw and fire" card. Under duress you might want a cheat sheet to fall back on if something ever happens.

+1 on the OC spray others have mentioned.

Other than that, Everyone could always use more training.

·
Registered
136 Posts
We are all forgetting the most important tool when you step out of the house . . . YOUR BRAIN!

It would also be wise to walk out the door with a heavy dose of patience, education of your local laws and statutes, as well as a dollop of good judgement.

·
Registered
185 Posts
+ 1 on the OC

how it might feel if it blows back into your own eyes...
It'll feel bad. I know why the Navy insisted on spraying me to certify, but they could have just told me the effects of OC. I would have believed them . . .

So take it from a "believer" OC works :yup:

Kinda puts a new spin on "packing heat"

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
We are all forgetting the most important tool when you step out of the house . . . YOUR BRAIN!
That almost never happens to me. I think.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
You may want to consider switching the folding knife to a fixed blade.

I learned, the hard way, that in a time of need a folder can be a little slow (depending, of course on what kind of folder you have and your practice with said folder).

I like the speed and security of a fixed blade.

Or, better yet, carry one of each.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Invest in a gun belt if you haven't done so already.

+1 on the OC spray.

Sounds like you're gtg.

·
Registered
107 Posts
+ 1 on the OC

It'll feel bad. I know why the Navy insisted on spraying me to certify, but they could have just told me the effects of OC. I would have believed them . . .

So take it from a "believer" OC works :yup:

Kinda puts a new spin on "packing heat"
What he says is true, I got dosed in my police academy. A hint for decontamination is to use no tears baby shampoo. Also put your thumb in a hose to make a stream and let it spray into your eyes from the outside of your face and across the eye.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You may want to consider switching the folding knife to a fixed blade.

I learned, the hard way, that in a time of need a folder can be a little slow (depending, of course on what kind of folder you have and your practice with said folder).

I like the speed and security of a fixed blade.

Or, better yet, carry one of each.
Good idea, but what type of fixed blade do you carry? In Texas the blade has to be less than 5.5 inches and sharp only on one side. As I have moved to a smaller pistol for CC (P3AT front pocket holster carry) I am not sure as to how I would carry a fixed blade knife. Ware semi dress no jacket all the time except for cold weather and for church when it moves up to a suit. Just wondering how to make it work for me and keep it concealed.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I carry the K-Bar TDI. It fits all of the requirements you mentioned. Less than 5.5 inches, sharp on only one side. The tilted hilt makes it pretty easy to conceal. It's a fairly compact little blade for people who prefer the fixed blades.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The CRKT "Stiff Kiss" is another small fixed blade that meets your requirments. I cord wrapped the handle and it is perfect for me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It seems liked Concealed Carry is more and more requiring a rucksack to carry all the goodies.

Had a discussion with a friend of mine last weekend. He was talking about carrying three extra mags and a box of ammo in the vehicle.
When asked why he proceeded to tell me if he is out chasing a BG it may take a while for help to get there. He is a LEO.

I told him my plan was to find the nearest and fastest means of escape, don't plan on chasing anyone.

I carry a CRKT SRT*1, because I cannot carry a gun legally in IL. :nono:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts