What Every Body Is Saying: An Ex-FBI Agent's Guide to Speed-Reading People

4K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  demanic 
#1 ·
What Every Body Is Saying: An Ex-FBI Agent's Guide to Speed-Reading People
by Joe Navarro and Marvin Karlins

Text Font Poster Advertising

See less See more
#10 ·
You forgot...that is true unless you're operating a motor vehicle...or several other exceptions. IIRC you may be required to ID even if you are riding a bicycle on a public street. Don't believe everything you see on YouTube.

Reactions: ETXhiker
#19 ·
I'm not sure why you seem to have such an adversarial approach to law enforcement. I have a couple of ideas, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I can say that there have been some who try to gain some kind of fame by matching wits with police. I am mystified as to how people have so much time to waste on a completely unproductive pastime.

Nothing personal whatsoever. :smile:

#22 · (Edited)
Your ideas are most likely incorrect regarding my attitudes. It is not being adversarial to know the laws of a state you live in and what your rights are under the Constitution. I never have ever been more than cordial to LEO's. I politely decline to give any information.

Don't you think it is odd that a LEO would actually lie to me and tell me I have to give ID? If someone were to lie to your face, how would you handle it?

I, in no way am against LE or LEO's. But I will not let anyone tell me to do something I do not have to do.

ETA: Except my wife:wave:

#26 ·
I might as well get it over with.

With all due respect...when someone says they give you the "benefit of the doubt" it means rather than think anything that might be bad about you, they prefer to not attribute bad intentions, but good intentions on your part. It is not an indictment, it is more of a compliment.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/give+the+benefit+of+the+doubt

I will not give the benefit of the doubt to the educational system in America however. I have long advocated students who have gone through the public school system since the 1970's should read a great many books so as to complete the education you deserved. Today, I regularly encounter college graduates who are totally mystified by the English language. Please note that it is not your fault. You should have been educated in a non-indoctrinating system. That is fully our fault for letting the system get out of hand.

Now I'll finish my coffee and turn the rant mode to idle. [RANT OFF] :embarassed:

#27 ·
I have found out long ago that any thread about any so called experts and opinions will be met with naysayers
even if the piece is overall well done...Critics will find something wrong with how something is worded etc.
If it is video...They will manage to pick apart the everything from a loud bird in the background or the noise from the wind etc etc:smile:

#30 ·
The title of this thread reminds me of a few courses I attended during my career that were presented by John Reid & Associates. One was titled "The Reid Technique of Interviewing and Interrogation", which was especially useful to me in the field of Human Resources and Risk Management. When I took the courses in the 2000 to 2005 time frame they were already somewhat controversial as being based on "bad science" and questionable ethics. A little research informed me that most of the criticism came from criminal defense attorneys who sometimes had to represent clients who had confessed after being "subjected" to the Reid techniques. I did a quick google search and I was glad to see that the courses are still being offered internationally today.

Though I have a degree in Criminology, I was never a sworn law enforcement officer. In the business world I still had plenty of opportunities to apply what I learned from the Reid courses on problems involving theft of intellectual property, counterfeiting of our proprietary products, bomb threats, drug trafficking, sexual harassment, theft, assaults, and other garden variety employment issues. When I took the courses I typically found myself attending with a group that was about 80% LEO. The balance of the audience was made up of security consultants, military personnel, risk managers from the private sector and attorneys.

I do heartily recommend the classes if you have a need to interview/interrogate people on issues of substance, even if it is only conducting candidate interviews as part of a hiring process.

Attachments

#31 ·
I have interviewed thousands of victims, offenders and witnesses regarding crime and its associated construction. I will say that bad people have much more similar presentations vs "good people" and deception is typically readily apparent if you know what to look for. Most people, even the bad ones can be good at lying but bad at pulling off the deception in a broad sense. They don't really think past the specific lie or in terms of what is needed regarding a broad or ongoing deception. Body language has always been the icing on the cake in regards to what I otherwise may not be able to reasonably articulate. I have previously used deceptive cues substantially in my occupational determinations but I will admit that deceptive cues and other physiological responses are not 100% accurate in determining this or that. People can exhibit textbook cues which are indicative of deception and actually be telling the truth. Body language as well as other human responses are simply one part of a much larger puzzle. I have not read this book but I would wager that there is probably some worth while information contained within it.

#32 ·
We live on a cul-de-sac with community mailboxes. A new neighbor moved in down the street. My wife and I were in the garage when the mailman dropped off the mail. I walked down to the mailbox and the new neighbor was there also. We exchanged pleasantries and I walked back to our house. My wife asked what the new neighbor was like. I told her he was a pervert and to stay away from him. She said there was no way to know that from a few second encounter and laughed at me. He was reported by two young women for peeping. He hit on every young woman on the street. The cops were at his house several times for domestics with various girlfriends before they moved out. My wife no longer questions me on snap judgements.

Reactions: Sister
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.