Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you were currently limted to carrying firearms of a certain era (or replicas of that era), how early could you go and still feel "comfortable" about being armed?

For myself, I would consider the 1850s as early as I would want to go. This would provide me the choice of a Colt Dragoon, Colt Navy or maybe Remington 1858 as primary carry, and a Colt 1849 Pocket for a BUG or discrete carry.

Not ideal, but FAR from being unarmed.

I wouldn't think twice about being limited to guns from the pre-WW II time frame- I carry weapons from the 1900-1945 era frequently already.

·
Super Moderator
16,415 Posts
I would be happy with that era also or any thing pre-plastic.

Reactions: Henry9008 and ctr

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
1900-1945 would be fine with me.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
I suppose to be fair I would have to admit to requiring cartridge weapons, but I would have no problem with single action revolvers of the old West. Flintlocks? not so much.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
984 Posts
Smokeless powder would be the first criteria, preferably a good double action revolver (I could live with a good single action revolver, too) and definitely a 1911.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would only feel comfortable with a certain era if everyone else around me was also limited to the same era.
I would not like to go up against anyone with a vintage gun when they are armed with a modern firearm
For sake of discussion, what would you say is "vintage"?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would go waaaay waaaay back to 1988 when they released the Glock 19! I know you guys are probably asking yourselves why I went so far back but that is when I would feel the most comfortable.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I could make my bones with a Colt single action army.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I would prefer cartridge arms, but wouldn't feel unarmed with a cap n ball revolver if that is the best I could do.

·
Super Moderator
18,337 Posts
Like Bad Bob, it's gotta be cartridge arms for me.

I have considered what would it be like to be limited to pre-1898 arms such as may be purchased without an FFL.

I'd be pretty happy with any number of lever-action or bolt-action designs and cartridges that pre-date 1898 and could be content with them. I'd be just ok with the handguns of the era. One could get by if he had to. There's always the Colt Single Action Army. The Colt double-action revolvers are usable and could be pressed into service as could the Smith & Wesson top-breaks, but they aren't so refined. Some of the big-bore revolver cartridges from the era would do quite nicely.

The decade before World War I? Yeah, there's a lot guns and cartridges to work with that may be found within the 1905 to 1915 time period.

Very cool thread WebleyHunter!

Reactions: OD* and TSKnight

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To paraphrase my own position, if somebody declared I was limited to carrying a .44 1858 Remington Sheriff in a high-rise OWB holster and a .31 1863 Pocket Remington BUG in my front pocket, I would just shrug my shoulders and continue about my day. Of course, I would want them to have been validated for reliable function and cap jam minimization, but the nature of them being ball & cap weapons wouldn't give much heartburn.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts