Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background: Back in May 2013, I had an encounter with a young officer at a license checkpoint, which I related here. Since then my friend, the Chief of Police, has retired and the town appointed a out-of-towner as the new Chief.

About 45 minutes ago I had a knock on my front door. Everybody who knows us comes to the side door. As is my norm, I exited out the side door and discovered a police cruiser in my driveway and the same young officer (now with almost 4 more years of experience) standing at my front door. (*note: semi-rural town of 20k or so)

Even though I was on my own property, I informed him that I have a concealed carry permit and that I was armed (NC is a must inform state). He said "Thank you" and went on that he had reports of shots fired in the neighborhood and asked me if I'd heard anything. I replied honestly that I had not. To my surprise, he asked me if he could come inside the house to ask me some more questions.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but his request just didn't seem right to me. I just told him that I didn't see how I could provide any more pertinent information since, after all, I hadn't heard any gun shots. I wished him luck on his investigation & begged off and went around to the side door back into my house. He got back into his cruiser & sat in my driveway for a few minutes before leaving.

The only thing I can figure is that:
  1. He knew I own guns...from our previous encounter and my stint as a guest weapons instructor at the PD.
  2. Wanted an excuse to get in the house to look around to see if I was responsible for the shots fired.
  3. Maybe he's still a little butt-hurt from being embarrassed from our 1st encounter.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
"Can I come inside and talk to you"?
"You're talking to me now just fine".

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Rxactly!

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Odd. I guess he was lonely.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
You coulda had this happen.......

·
Super Moderator
19,163 Posts
You coulda had this happen.......

Is that the one where the police officer threatened the CCW holder, foolishly dubbed in music drowned out the radio calls?

Reactions: Doogie

·
Premium Member
38,998 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Follow Up

I called a couple of friends on the PD. They told me that when they get a "shots fired" report, they automatically roll-out 2 or more units for officer safety. One that was on-duty at the time said he didn't recall a "shots fired" call.

I'm inclined to let to let it go. He was polite and didn't push the issue, so I really don't have any justification for a complaint. But still, my gut tells me something isn't quite right.

·
Premium Member
38,998 Posts
I called a couple of friends on the PD. They told me that when they get a "shots fired" report, they automatically roll-out 2 or more units for officer safety. One that was on-duty at the time said he didn't recall a "shots fired" call.

I'm inclined to let to let it go. He was polite and didn't push the issue, so I really don't have any justification for a complaint. But still, my gut tells me something isn't quite right.
The good news is that you still have some friends on the force. The bad news that this guy has taken a particular interest in violating your privacy under false pretenses, not once, but twice.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts

I'm pretty sure I read the original story, but I forget it... will you post a link to refresh us, please? I'm interested now.

·
Premium Member
38,998 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm pretty sure I read the original story, but I forget it... will you post a link to refresh us, please? I'm interested now.
The original thread is: HERE

Reactions: OD*

·
Super Moderator
22,496 Posts
But still, my gut tells me something isn't quite right
Bingo!
I would go with your instincts. "Left of Bang" :wink:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Resolution?

More Background - I live in a small semi-rural area where two towns are literally across the street from each other. I live in town "A" and own a business in town "B".

Yesterday, about an hour before closing, this same officer (town "A"), comes into my store wearing civilian attire. He looked around for a bit then approached me as I was checking-out a customer. He asked me "How's it going?", to which I replied "Just fine. I'll be with you in just a moment." Before I could finish ringing out the customer, he interrupts and says "Aren't you aware that you have a duty to inform?"

I asked an employee to please finish with the customer and asked the (apparently off duty officer) to step to the end of the counter, out of earshot of the customers. I then informed him that I had a CCP and was armed. Before he could respond, I called the town "B" PD and informed them that I had an off-duty police officer out of his jurisdiction harassing me and asked that they respond so I could file charges & have them witness me issuing the officer a "Trespass Notice." As I hung up, I started my cell phone's voice recorder then informed this "snowflake" that he was now being recorded and that he had been under video surveillance since he walked into the store. His face was so red that I honestly thought his head was going to explode! The town "B" PD showed up in less than a minute of my hanging up (there was already a unit 2 stores down).

The town "B" officer tried to talk me out of filing charges, but I insisted. That was until his watch supervisor showed up. Then I filed a harassment charge and they both signed as witnesses when I issued the "Trespass Notice." (in NC that carries the weight of law prohibiting him from ever coming into my store again).

Today I've spent the morning first at my lawyer's office then together we had a nice visit with town A's chief of police. Understandably, the Chief wasn't too keen on the idea of me filing a police harassment charge. The Chief became extremely concerned about his officer's behavior after my lawyer informed him that if this matter wasn't resolve immediately and "to my client's complete satisfaction" he would file a lawsuit against the officer as-well-as every supervisor up his chain-of-command responsible for his training and supervision...including the Chief.

In the end, the Chief assured me that he would take immediate and "appropriate" action to stop said officer from interacting with me again. He gave me his private cell number and said to call him if I ever have a problem with any of his officers in the future.

Now, I have to pay my lawyer and remember to drive perfectly for some time to come.

·
Premium Member
38,998 Posts
Watch your six. Things are coincidental maybe once. After that, it has become an established, deliberate pattern of behavior. Do you, perchance have an attractive partner or daughter? I know that question seems off-the-wall, but it has basis in my personal experience.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts