Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is based on a developing true story but I won't disclose the details until I've lived it for a few weeks and truly embraced it. Given my recent track record with my Shield, which I thought was "the one", I'm being cautious.

The search for "the one" gun that strikes the perfect balance of accuracy, concealment, firepower/capacity, comfort and reliability is almost endless. But there may be a time when the stars align when you walk into your LGS, spot that gun that you had fantasies about and don't believe is now available, and you buy it. You get the perfect holster for it. And once the whole setup is done - the skies part and the gun gods smile upon you. You just found The EDC setup that you'll be carrying for a long long time. It will be the one you carry 365 days if the year in any weather or any attire.

Have any of you found the perfect gun and holster setup for the best accuracy, reliability, comfort, concealment and firepower? And once you did, how did you deal with the plethora of other carry pieces and holsters that you now don't feel like using anymore?

·
Registered
11,497 Posts
I have not found "the one" yet. I've come fairly close with my Kahr CW9 but there are two things that keep it from being "the one". Lack of higher capacity and the whole common top round in the mag tilt thing that all Kahr owners know about.

I will keep looking and hopefully one day I'll find it.

·
Super Moderator
18,515 Posts
Nothing is truly perfect but this has been my EDC for at least 6 years. Springfield Micro-Compact in a Wild Bill’s Concealment Covert Carry.

IMG_0576.JPG P1010187.jpg

·
Registered
541 Posts
This is based on a developing true story but I won't disclose the details until I've lived it for a few weeks and truly embraced it. Given my recent track record with my Shield, which I thought was "the one", I'm being cautious.

The search for "the one" gun that strikes the perfect balance of accuracy, concealment, firepower/capacity, comfort and reliability is almost endless. But there may be a time when the stars align when you walk into your LGS, spot that gun that you had fantasies about and don't believe is now available, and you buy it. You get the perfect holster for it. And once the whole setup is done - the skies part and the gun gods smile upon you. You just found The EDC setup that you'll be carrying for a long long time. It will be the one you carry 365 days if the year in any weather or any attire.

Have any of you found the perfect gun and holster setup for the best accuracy, reliability, comfort, concealment and firepower? And once you did, how did you deal with the plethora of other carry pieces and holsters that you now don't feel like using anymore?
Easy enough for me. I only have one. I made the mistake of buying a gun that I didn't really want (Walther PK380), initially, simply because I could drive a tack with it. Never loved the gun and being on the college budget I'm on (Read: broke 24/7) I couldn't afford to have 1 gun for carry and buy another that I really loved or really any desire to do so. I've always had a love affair with 1911s so I found a decent compact (Citadel), made sure it was reliable, and sold the Walther to a friend that just wanted a carry piece. As far as holsters, I got lucky. I started with a Remora and then bought a SHTF Ace-1, both easily conceal the gun under nothing but a tshirt, are comfortable and that's really all I ask.

That being said, I'm going to try out a SA XDs just because they peak my interest if I can ever find one at any of my LGSes, but it'll really have to capture me for me to bring it home. Outside of a few more 1911s (I really NEED a Colt and a 22TCM, okay not need but will own) and a good revolver, I have no real desire to buy many handguns and probably will never have a "carry rotation." I plan on carrying this Citadel until it breaks or I hate the weight and then I'll probably replace it with an alloy 1911 of some sort.

Rifles, including the dreaded black ones but mainly lever actions, are a different story. It's probably a blessing I don't have the disposable income I'd like to because I'd probably be on some sort of government watch list with the amount of rifles I fall in love with every time I see them in a gun store.

·
Super Moderator
50,611 Posts
I'm sure that I have found the 'one' in my Glock-36...but then, I'm a simple man.
I just need dependability, conceal ability, and .45 caliber holes.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I guess either I haven't found "The One" or I truly found "The Many"!:danceban: I'm not sure there is one perfect CCW for all circumstances, or at least I must not have found it. If I knew there was gonna be a gunfight on a given day, I'd be sure to be somewhere else! But if I had to participate in it, I'd prefer to have a rifle or shotgun. But since my 870 Tactical doesn't fit in my pants very well, I need other options.

I guess I'm pretty close to "The One" with my Beretta Nano. It's been completely reliable, I shoot it well and it's very easy to CCW. Is it perfect? Not at all. Handguns aren't great fight stoppers, and a 3" barrel with 9 rounds (extended mag carried + 1) isn't ideal. But with a spare mag carried in a SHTF horizontal carrier, I feel reasonably well armed.

My Browning Hi-Power was once "The One." Right now it's "under the weather," having had a case split out in her one day. Gotta drop her off at the gun doc soon. It's a great sidearm, accurate and reasonably easy to CCW.

If I can manage to conceal it adequately, the next "The One" for me will by my pair of HK USP 9mm's. A bit bulky, but as reliable as death and taxes. The USP is a serious fighting gun, and engenders a bit more confidence than the Nano.

Down the road, I suspect the HK P30S might be "The One." Right now I have it on layaway. The ergonomics are great, and if it performs up to the standards of every other HK I've owned, it should be a terrific carry gun.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
The first time I held a Glock 32 (was also the first Glock I owned) I just knew it was love at first grip.

Reactions: Taurahe

·
Administrator
144,354 Posts
I married her.
You married your gun? That's extremely kinky.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really like the Colt Combat Commander which is the firearm that I almost always carry. I think that with an alloy frame it would be slightly MORE "The One" - I have been seriously looking at the new DETONICS MTX as being an ideal firearm but, it is still a bit too new for me me to invest in one.
And I would love to be able to actually handle one and check it out first hand before I plunk down my money for one but, I have never seen one in any dealer display case as of yet.
They seem to be special order only at this point in time.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I had my G22 way before I got my permit. So when I got my permit 2 years ago, thats what I carried in a comp tac holster. I then realized that was way to big of gun to conceal all year long.

I did a lot of research. I wanted a small pocketable gun, good fire power, decent capacity, reliable and accurate. I knew I wanted a sub compact Glock. But not in 9mm,.40,.45 or 10mm so I went with the G33 in 357 sig.

Perfect carry gun for me. I can use my Glock sport holster or my Don Hume pocket holster. I can carry it stock with 9+1 or my 2+ mag to have 12 rounds. The 357 sig packs quite a punch and having 12 isnt bad.

uploadfromtaptalk1367490533444.jpg

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
1,774 Posts
I am just starting on this odyssey late in life all because of the way the world is becoming. About 15 years ago I bought a revolver because I was very familiar with them, for house protection. I must admit it was a bit of overkill (no pun intended) for the purpose, it is a .44 mag Super Blackhawk. It was loaded and in my nightstand with only an occasional unload and cleaning all these years. Recently I decided that was too much gun so I replaced it with a cheap 9mm. Rather than let that gun sit around, I thought I would have some fun shooting it. I joined a local gun club shot it, and got hooked. I bought a Kel Tec pf9, a pocket holster, got my ccw, and still am new to the gun scene. I don't know why I bought two cheap 9mm's when I could easily afford the best. I guess I figure if it goes bang, I'm good to go.

·
Premium Member
37,579 Posts

The full-size M&P 9mm you see in my avatar is the one of which you speak. Its built-in ergonomics combined with the tree bark grip texture over the small back strap give it an ideal feel in the hands and in performance. The re-worked trigger has no gravel, smooth pre-travel, a crisp, predictable break and an easy-to-master reset. The smooth place where the beaver tail used to be no longer jabs the ribs during edc. Its out-of-the-box and now-improved accuracy is such that I hesitate to install the Trijicons for fear that it will be diminished. The Midworld Holster-inspired holster it rides in keeps it secure, concealed, comfortable and access-able. The Wilderness Instructor belt bears the load perfectly.

As for my other carry guns and holsters, they still have their roles, albeit diminished ones. It is all part of the process.
M&P Texturing 004.JPG M&P Texturing 002.JPG M&P Texturing 008.JPG

·
Registered
209 Posts
I married her.
I would highly recommend that when you think that you have found 'the one' (woman). Turn the other direction and run like hell. Girls, you already know there is no such thing as 'the one' in men. :smile:

Reactions: CamoMama

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
With many years of buying the perfect one each time, followed by the perfect matching holster, I found I had the right one before I ever bought the first gun. I have now carried and shot the perfect gun for many years.

Yet I am happy with all the purchases I have made. They fill the safes I bought to accomodate guns. There is not any need in having empty space in a safe. Since I have the perfect gun, I must buy others to fill space in safes. Holsters, magazines, ammo, cleaning supplies (the perfect lube) and such fills another room. This saves me from having to buy furniture to fill the room.

Reactions: DetChris

·
Registered
251 Posts
IMHO there is no "one" other than our wives. Each weapon has its pros and cons, works better in one situation vs another, etc. I carry a ruger sr9c, lc9 and commander sized 1911 S&W 45acp, all aiwb in Garrett Industries silent thunder slim holsters, depending on my mood at any given moment. I really like all but the lc9, which I tolerate. Just can't shoot it as we'll as the other two.

You seem to be looking for the Swiss Army knife of guns. Don't think such a gun exists. Good luck on your journey.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
"the one" is a unicorn shooting gold nugget poop, at least for me. certain guns fill certain roles, which is why I have a HD gun, a compact carry gun and an LCR .38 for pocket, uber discreet carry when necessary, and I am still searching for something truly tiny in a usuable caliber that I like. Besides, if i had "the one" i have no excuse to buy "another one". :)

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
The closest thing I have to 'the one' is the HK .45 USP Compact. That is and will be my goto gun for most situations.

However ... there are times when clothing/dress either doesn't work well for that gun, or presents another opportunity for something different. Like msgt retired, I have a Springfield Micro Compact that very often carry in the cargo pocket of cargo pants or shorts, and my PM9 works very well in a tuckable IWB in times when I need to be dressed up a little. I carry both of those frequently, though not as often as the HK.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts