Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting a Shield 9mm.
What holster do you use?
FWIW, I will probably carry AIWB most of the time.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
33,776 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you like leather I carried mine in a High Noon Mr Softy and felt it was very comfortable, so much that when I switched to a Compact I ordered a Mr Softy for it as well.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I don't carry that way, I go with belt carry on my hip. For this, I use a DeSantis Mini Scabbard.

Reactions: forester58

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
I also carry my Shield at 3:30 - 4:00 with a Vedder LightTuck. Very comfortable. Can't make AIWB comfortable, but I haven't tried the JM custom kydex @Mike1956 mentioned. It has the foam wedges that might make it work -- I'm looking maybe at trying one, but no real reason to. Hip carry is working for me.

·
Premium Member
33,776 Posts
I also carry my Shield at 3:30 - 4:00 with a Vedder LightTuck. Very comfortable. Can't make AIWB comfortable, but I haven't tried the JM custom kydex @Mike1956 mentioned. It has the foam wedges that might make it work -- I'm looking maybe at trying one, but no real reason to. Hip carry is working for me.
3:00 was really the only place that worked for me for many years, so much so that I have made and used my own holsters exclusively. After some significant weight loss, the 3:00 position is no longer possible. The gun prints, the holster rubs and pokes and generally makes for a miserable day.

I had tried a few AIWB holsters previously, but was too fat to make them work. I had the JM AIWB on hand from that experimentation, and found that I could comfortably at the 11:30 position all day long throughout my entire range of activities, including bicycling. I have added a Dara holster with the RMR cut and after some serious modifications, have been able to make it work too. The wedge is OK, but not an absolute necessity.

Reactions: Wavygravy

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
I'm not fat at 6' and 185, but could stand to lose 10 pounds (winter has crept up with no hiking/fishing) around my waist, I guess. Maybe that's why I can't seem to carry AIWB. :redface:

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
The only holster I can carry at the waist is a belly band. I use the 3Speed. I've used the Alien Gear and CrossBreed Supertuck, and they were pretty good, but just can't have a tight belt or any extra weight on my hips. I have to use an elastic belt to keep my hips happy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Can carry my shield all day in a black arch protos m. Super great in the Texas heat too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
The choice of a holster is very subjective and a personal thing because everyone’s body is built a little differently.

I have three Nate Squared (N82) Tactical Professional IWB tuckable holsters, www.n82tactical.com Tuckable means your shirt can be tucked in around the outside of the holster. One is for my Glock 17-4, one for my Glock 30-4 and one for my Glock 48. N82 sells several types of holsters but I like their Professional model best. It is a single clip holster with adjustable cant that I wear at 9 o’clock (right behind my 2nd belt loop) as I am left handed. Some people don’t like a single clip because they say the holster moves around. Mine settles into my left hip and doesn’t move around at all. It is all day wearing comfort. Because it is a single clip instead of a double clip it is very quick and easy to put on and take off which I really like.

The Professional has 3 layers of material. A very soft suede backing that sits against your body inside your belt, then a rubber neoprene layer to block moisture from reaching the gun and the soft black leather on the outside of the holster that the gun sits next to. No part of the gun ever touches your body. I always wear a T-shirt under my outer shirt. The gun slides into a poly carbonate shell shell which has retention, trigger guard protection and adjustable cant.

N82 has a lifetime guarantee and a 2 week trial. Their products and customer service is absolutely superior.

G17-1.JPG G17-3.JPG

·
Registered
623 Posts
I carry mine OWB.

I use a Galco Matrix belt holster. I have used one for years for my HK P2000.

I bought an APX last year, and someone told me the Sig 229 Galco Matrix would work. I bought one and it did.

Well, I have discovered that the 9mm Shield and my 9mm Glock 48 also fit the same Galco Matrix holster (made for the Sig 229).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts