Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually don't carry a knife with me as backup, but at the times that I do I have a S&W bullseye [a really nifty knife]. Still as a student at a major university I am unable to carry any of the time I'm on school property.

This makes me uncomfortable.

I found a solution;

This lil S&W I found today. It's only a few inches long [within legal standard for carrying w/o a ccw or in pistol free zones] but still razor sharp. I love the titanium camo on the whole thing too! Now of course I still couldn't get away with this baby on an airplane, but at least I still have something on those few occasions I'm not strapped.

Anyone else have this knife?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the S&W knives, particularly the SWAT line, in my experience, the quality is pretty poor. That said, the $20 knife in your hand is better than the $200 knife you don't have with you.

As far as tools for when you "can't" carry, you might consider a flashlight or sturdy pen (or both :wink: ) for use as an impact weapon. These items won't be classified as weapons by the idiots who make the regulations but are still devastating when used properly.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
a good surefire with the toothed bezel would make a good blinding weapon,as well as for strikes.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
I usually carry pepper spray ,an assortment of knives a light and such daily, same if I have my gun or not.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I always have at least 2 knives on me, leatherman and the other varies, sometimes I have as many as 5 knives, depends on what I'm doing. If I can't carry knives or gun, I have my cane( I'm old enough now that it doesn't look out of place) I can carry it onto airplanes and into courtrooms.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have the same S&W in black with a Tanto blade, also mine is an automatic. I have since upgraded to a Benchmade auto because I got tired of sharpening the S&W every other day. The safety on the S&W is plastic and does not work well, had a couple near misses with the jewels when it opened in my pocket. The Benchmade has a positive metal safety that locks the auto mechanism while closed or open. I paid $50.00 for the S&W new, it now rests in my tool box. I absolutely love the BM, only had to sharpen once in the 3 months I've owned it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Not my cup of tea, S&W folders. On only time I can not carry is in the county court house, I carry a folder which can not enter the court house but they will place it in a locked area till I exit. My firearms remain in my car's safe which is bolted to 1/4 aluminum plate until I exit the court house.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have my cane( I'm old enough now that it doesn't look out of place)
Im so jealous. Have fun with your retirement, you earned it!!

I honestly cant wait till Im older! I plan on having a house exactly 500ft (or whatever the legal shooting distance of a residence is) from my neighbor. At 6:30a.m. I will practice with my firearms, until I tick my neighbors off. Then I will get some breakfast at my local diner. I will pass cars rushing to work, just to slow down 5-10mph under what they were originally driving. I will know exactly what to complain about before I even order my usual breakfast. I have around 30 years to plan the rest of my retirement:haha: .

·
Administrator
143,597 Posts
My Opinion

If you buy a knife in that price range and don't start digging bullets out of trees with it..or use it as a prybar...& just pack it for a possible future event to save yer sweet hide it sure will serve you just fine.
I've handled only one of the S&W SWAT line knives & that particular one was a bit over~tight.
It was workable though.

·
Registered
790 Posts
This is a bit off topic, but I thought it fits here.
As I have said before, in my line of work, I regularly have to go to places where I am required by law to disarm, AKA hospitals, government buildings, etc. Among my favorite backups are, an innocuous looking utility knife with disposable blades, that looks like a pocket knife. It wouldnt make a very good stabbing weapon, but is sharp and can be deployed very rapidly. I also have a short, flat, prybar I used on almost every job. I use it to lift, pry,as a doorstop while I am packing things in and out, of an area, and I keep one end sharp so I can use it as a chisel, etc. If need be, it would make a nasty close quarters weapon.
Granted, I would much rather have a firearm and a better knife, but when that is not legal I consider this a good legal compromise. Since both are tools, I have a legitimate reason to have them with me at work, and I need them both quite regularly in the course of my day. I have infact been cleared, to work on equipment in secure locations, on many occasions without so much as a second glance from security at them. They are after all only tools.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but it would be interesting what others fall back on when the law prohibits carry.
Maybe I need to start another legal/improvised weapon thread. LOL!

·
Super Moderator
23,594 Posts
Quote:
GoodSamaritan
I don't want to hijack the thread, but it would be interesting what others fall back on when the law prohibits carry.
Maybe I need to start another legal/improvised weapon thread. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock and Glock
Both my wife and I hold our auto keys in exactly the same fashion: Butt against the palm, key between the fingers while making a fist around it. Same result, ONLY: Legal Anywhere (except maybe a prison or somesuch). The newer card keys usually have the large plastic "knob" end with the remote electronics built in, so its easy to grip. Not perfect, but it's better than a rock...Stab, then pull and slash through puncture wound. Really too close for me.:rolleyes:

Quote:
Posted by Rob72
I have three "dud" keys with the plastic butt, with lightly filed tips......

As simple as something in your pocket....:image035:

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have three "dud" keys with the plastic butt, with lightly filed tips......
Actually I have thought about slightly sharpening a key or two for that very purpose, but like many things I havent gotten around to it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Get yourself a nice steel pen from a discount store. It makes a very good thrusting weapon, and no security guard is going to take it away from you. I got one as a promotional item from a salesmen, and it has been with me for about three years. I haven't stabbed anyone with it, but it would make a decent weapon in a pinch, I think.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Since Florida CCW covers auto-knives, I always carry one. Mine is a Paragon - which is a knock-off of Micro-Tech design. This design is very thin, light, sharp, and handy.

·
Registered
167 Posts
d2thomas

I just purchased a S&W knife exactly like the one in your photo at a gun show yesterday for $15.00. Mine has a tanto blade though. I am having trouble opening it one handed. On closer examination I noticed that the blade has a small indentation near the base that a small dimple on the locking part engages when the blade is closed. I intend to disassembel the knife and grind off that little dimple. I am hoping that will allow me to open the knife with my thumb as I do my other knives. Other than that it seems like an OK knife for the price!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Primary weapon: My brain.(three things to remember in any fight 1.cheat early. 2. cheat often. 3. cheat dirty.)

Non-carry weapons
Mag-lite 4D cell (you have to take a class that is never offered to "civilians" carry a PR-24 in Indiana)
Gerber: defender 1 (quick draw shoulder harness)
Push dagger
8" screw out type baton knife. (friend assures me it works really good if you bring it down on on someones temple in baton mode)

Other possibilities
pepper spray.(need to find out which works best)
TASER X26c. ($1000 Ouch) (one shot but maybe a last resort compromise in non-carry states)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts