Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, 5 weeks from retirement and a new reality of a much smaller budget means in practicality, no more gun purchases, at least without selling one or more to buy another.
I do still have an ammo budget of course but, dropping 500 or 600 bucks or more on a new one is over.

You name it and it or a close relative has probably lived here for a time.
So, after all those dozens of guns I have owned, carried and traded away I am left with 6 handguns. Probably about 4 more than I need but, I digress.
Me being basically a wheel gun guy by desire I ended up with 4 revolvers and 2 semi autos.

My first purchased CC gun (1994) and still carried in an OWB holster about 50% of the time is my Rossi M88 stainless 2" 38 special snub. After switching to a Pachmayr grip and then to the wood stocks and a Tyler T adapter its back to stock form for carry.

Next is the "always" gun and in my opinion still the most versatile concealed carry handgun ever invented. Whether in a pants pocket, jacket pocket, a concealed backup to my open carry or squirreled away in a glove box, tackle box or as it often has been over the years in my lunchbox the ubiquitous S&W 642. This gun now wears the original Uncle Mike's boot grips which unlike the S&W copies clears speedloaders without Dremel work.

My constant woods companion for the last 10 years is my 5" GP100 357 magnum. Always loaded with 200 grain hardcast flat nosed lead. Not a load I would enjoy shooting in a lighter gun. I have gone weeks wearing this gun from wake up until bed and never considered something lighter. Its does its job of maximum straight line penetration rather well. A much better gun with the old style Lett grips instead of those horrible spongy finger grooved Hogues they now come with. My wife's favorite blaster by far.

Another ubiquitous S&W revolver that no wheelgun fan should be without. The Model 10. In this case a used police issue 10-8 with the telltale worn right hand stock from years of bumping and banging everything from car doors to booking desks. This one was still with its S&W duty holster which I still wear from time to time. Another gun that has lived through several grip changes and a hammer bob and it too is back to stock form. I am just learning to shoot these guns as designed and did away with all my "crutches" like Pachmayrs, Hogues and grip adaptors. Very close to handgun perfection for the civilized man. IMHO

9mm. The handgun caliber I have owned the most samples of after 38 special and this is the only one that found a real home with me. Walther PPS... the original and not that M2 poser.
Somehow its the easiest carrying and shooting 9mm I have come across and the paddle mag release and tactile striker indicator just seal the deal. Well used and much appreciated despite its polymer upbringing. Sometimes you find a gun that just fits and you stop asking why. I would not trade it straight across for any of the polymer "new kids" on the gun racks. I don't care how many bullets they hold. This is my cowboy vest covered or just t shirt covered OWB carry.

Last up is what I call my only real 2020 battle gun. The only double stack to survive here. I have always loved 45acp because its the first semi auto caliber I ever shot and carried while in the Sheriff's Dept. (4506-1) and even though I appreciated my 1911 and 4506 I settled on the Glock 21sf. Why? Well, its complicated. It has no visual or historical value, at least to me. Its a tactical, dishwasher safe tupperware gun that is meant to be "run hard and put away wet". Parts are cheap, parts are everywhere and you very rarely even need parts at all, cheap mags, cheap holsters. Don't care about scratches or dings. Runs dirty Russian steel cased all day long without a hitch (good thing nowadays as its still available). Its a soft shooter even with +P and it just plain works.

Yep, I still had to grind down that annoying square trigger guard so my trigger finger didn't come away bloody after a day at the range. This gun goes on road trips more than the others. I run it factory stock.

It just doesn't ask much of me even though I expect everything from it.
Yeah, I took a picture of it. Did I really need to? No. As utilitarian as the concrete in the background.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I think that’s a well-rounded list, forester58. You know what works for you, and you’ve majored on those. I really need to go through that same process myself. There’s truly a lot of beauty in simplicity.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I faced the same budget realities myself. When I picked up the Mossberg 500 and the Henry .22 last fall I knew the stable was about as full as it was going to get. Unless of course, I come across a deal that is too stinkin' good to pass up. 🙄

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Nice write up. Fair collection. Enjoy retirement and congratulations on the achievemen!

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
I am 63 and looking at retiring in the next 2-5 years.
I have all my needs filled as far as firearms are concerned. I am just about finished with my want list which i need to finish before I retire.
I will probably work a low stress part time job to pay for my ammo budget after.
I do not plan on selling anything as my plan is to pass them all off to my 2 sons.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
I like how you saved the best one for last. 😁

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have all my needs filled as far as firearms are concerned. I am just about finished with my want list which i need to finish before I retire.
I will probably work a low stress part time job to pay for my ammo budget after.
I do not plan on selling anything as my plan is to pass them all off to my 2 sons.
This pretty much my scenario too. I'll be 64 in September and I have most of the guns that I want (still want a mini-30) and am satisfied with what I have. I will do contract work as available for the line of work that I'm in and that will give me some spending money IF I come across a gun I can't resist buying.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Well, 5 weeks from retirement and a new reality of a much smaller budget means in practicality, no more gun purchases, at least without selling one or more to buy another.
I do still have an ammo budget of course but, dropping 500 or 600 bucks or more on a new one is over.

You name it and it or a close relative has probably lived here for a time.
So, after all those dozens of guns I have owned, carried and traded away I am left with 6 handguns. Probably about 4 more than I need but, I digress.
Me being basically a wheel gun guy by desire I ended up with 4 revolvers and 2 semi autos.

My first purchased CC gun (1994) and still carried in an OWB holster about 50% of the time is my Rossi M88 stainless 2" 38 special snub. After switching to a Pachmayr grip and then to the wood stocks and a Tyler T adapter its back to stock form for carry.
View attachment 332585

Next is the "always" gun and in my opinion still the most versatile concealed carry handgun ever invented. Whether in a pants pocket, jacket pocket, a concealed backup to my open carry or squirreled away in a glove box, tackle box or as it often has been over the years in my lunchbox the ubiquitous S&W 642. This gun now wears the original Uncle Mike's boot grips which unlike the S&W copies clears speedloaders without Dremel work.
View attachment 332587

My constant woods companion for the last 10 years is my 5" GP100 357 magnum. Always loaded with 200 grain hardcast flat nosed lead. Not a load I would enjoy shooting in a lighter gun. I have gone weeks wearing this gun from wake up until bed and never considered something lighter. Its does its job of maximum straight line penetration rather well. A much better gun with the old style Lett grips instead of those horrible spongy finger grooved Hogues they now come with. My wife's favorite blaster by far.
View attachment 332588

Another ubiquitous S&W revolver that no wheelgun fan should be without. The Model 10. In this case a used police issue 10-8 with the telltale worn right hand stock from years of bumping and banging everything from car doors to booking desks. This one was still with its S&W duty holster which I still wear from time to time. Another gun that has lived through several grip changes and a hammer bob and it too is back to stock form. I am just learning to shoot these guns as designed and did away with all my "crutches" like Pachmayrs, Hogues and grip adaptors. Very close to handgun perfection for the civilized man. IMHO
View attachment 332590

9mm. The handgun caliber I have owned the most samples of after 38 special and this is the only one that found a real home with me. Walther PPS... the original and not that M2 poser.
Somehow its the easiest carrying and shooting 9mm I have come across and the paddle mag release and tactile striker indicator just seal the deal. Well used and much appreciated despite its polymer upbringing. Sometimes you find a gun that just fits and you stop asking why. I would not trade it straight across for any of the polymer "new kids" on the gun racks. I don't care how many bullets they hold. This is my cowboy vest covered or just t shirt covered OWB carry.
View attachment 332591

Last up is what I call my only real 2020 battle gun. The only double stack to survive here. I have always loved 45acp because its the first semi auto caliber I ever shot and carried while in the Sheriff's Dept. (4506-1) and even though I appreciated my 1911 and 4506 I settled on the Glock 21sf. Why? Well, its complicated. It has no visual or historical value, at least to me. Its a tactical, dishwasher safe tupperware gun that is meant to be "run hard and put away wet". Parts are cheap, parts are everywhere and you very rarely even need parts at all, cheap mags, cheap holsters. Don't care about scratches or dings. Runs dirty Russian steel cased all day long without a hitch (good thing nowadays as its still available). Its a soft shooter even with +P and it just plain works.

Yep, I still had to grind down that annoying square trigger guard so my trigger finger didn't come away bloody after a day at the range. This gun goes on road trips more than the others. I run it factory stock.

It just doesn't ask much of me even though I expect everything from it.
Yeah, I took a picture of it. Did I really need to? No. As utilitarian as the concrete in the background.
View attachment 332605
Looks like you've got just about all the bases well covered. Very versatile collection. And congratulations on your upcoming retirement. I'm just two years out from that myself.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, maybe I forgot to mention that many of my favorite guns that I no longer own are owned by my three sons. So, I still get to shoot that West German P220 or one of those Ruger speed sixes and even my old 3rd gen 3914. I gifted my 22 rifles and others to them as they are now raising their own kids and I wanted them to enjoy those now and not have to wait till I am gone. ;)

I could try and tell my wife "its for the children" but, somehow I don't think she is buying that anymore.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Very well-written and -justified. I see the logic in your choices, given your background in law enforcement. I've done something similar since retiring in 2010, but lately I've reverted. Dang! I worked so hard at being a 'One Gun Snowbird' but Glock keeps having these Blue Label sales for veterans and every time I renew my GSSF membership I get another purchase coupon. Add to that, those folks at Sig Sauer who tempted me with the P365 and my world's been altered forever.

Enjoy your retirement years. For us, they've truly been 'golden years' up until this pandemic Now, we're back to making hard choices, standing on a shifting bed of quicksand and subsistence living is a major topic of discussion. Might need a shotgun and a rifle again...

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Forester58, I retired 3rd of January 2009. I have found there is always money for what you want. It may take a little longer but a couple of bucks tucked away adds up. Congratulation on the up coming retirement, hope you enjoy as much as I do.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts