Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What If I Told You That There Were 600 MILLION Guns In The United States?

What If I Told You That There Were 600 MILLION Guns In The United States? ? Bearing Arms

You really need to go to the source of the article and read what he has to say about the numbers here: http://weaponsman.com/?p=33875

What if we told you that one ATF computer system logged, by serial number, 252,000,000 unique firearms, and represented only those firearms manufactured, imported or sold by a relatively small number of the nation’s tens of thousands of Federal Firearms Licensees?

ATF maintains a system, introduced in 1999, called Access 2000 or A2K (GAO report; details are in the .pdfs linked at that .html link). This system allows voluntarily participating manufacturers, importers and wholesalers (no retailers) to enter their firearms by the identifying data that goes on a 4473 directly into an ATF computer. The firms can’t see the data on this system, they can only feed it in. This system is then used by the National Tracing Center in West Virginia to respond rapidly to trace requests: given serial number, make and model they can produce an instant hit, saving field agents a trip to the manufacturer, wholesaler, or jobber. Sometimes this hit can instantly tell the trace technician what retailer was the firearm’s point of first retail sale, really expediting the trace.
The participants in A2K include, as of fall, 2015, 35 firms representing 66 FFLs total.

Because some of the participants are wholesalers, some firearms manufactured by non-participating manufacturers are included, in addition to all the firearms made by participants.

For legal reasons, A2K is kept separate from all other agency computer systems, and while it is on the public internet for maintenance purposes, it has no direct connection to any other ATF database.

As of 2 October, 2015, the data in A2K included 252,433,229 records, representing one firearm each. That means that at least those 250 million firearms have been manufactured, or imported, or sold at wholesale in approximately 15 years. (Duplicate records, say from a manufacturer or importer in 2000 a jobber as a used gun in 2007, don’t increment the count; the unique serial number ties those data points together as a single “record”).

For the total count of firearms in the USA to be 300 million, the following must be true:

·
Super Moderator
24,661 Posts
The Founding Fathers would be proud.

Of course, the MSM will absolutely reject the very idea to prevent unnecessary wetting of pants and panties in certain enclaves, but such is life. They will also attribute it to certain "Super Predator/Collectors" that will be assumed to own 10,000 or more guns, thus reducing the overall per capita numbers to something less alarming and frightening. The ratios and per capita will be manipulated, so they can continue their echo-chamber gas lighting narratives that the world is a softer and gentler place if only the neanderthals would listen, and give up their guns.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
What if I told you that 5 million of them were at the bottom of lakes and rivers after tragic canoe accidents?

There is no accurate way to get a tally on the number of guns. It wasn't until Bonny and Clyde that guns had to have serial numbers. Up until the 60s you could order a gun through the mail and have it shipped to your home with no paperwork. Guns cross over the borders all the time. Millions were brought back as war trophies after both world wars and Korea. Prisoners have made firearms in metal shops, so any competent machinist would have no trouble making one in a machine shop. Guns take a long time to wear out. I have a few from the late 1800s that are still capable of firing.

I think the 600 million estimate is probably closer to a real number than the 300 million estimate the gets tossed around. There's no way we'll ever prove either one is accurate.

·
Registered
668 Posts
So violent crime is up, right?! Also, toddler shootings are up, right?! NO? We must do something, it's only common sense!

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
i figure 600 M is getting close but I would bet it is still way short of what is in the US, industrial production of firearms was common in the late 1800s and lots of those weapons plus all that were made up until they started tracking sales are still out there passed down through families, swapped and traded among friends and stolen and hidden and never spoken of again. so the govs estimate of 300M and all that in the hands of less than 5% of the population is laughable to anyone with more than 2 functioning brain cells to rub together....heck my favorite rifle was made in 1927 and has been in the family since my grandpaw bought it lol

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
If the BATFE hadn't said it isn't true, I'd have thought a computer database of 2.5 million guns, serial #,sellers ,and buyers was a registry. Luckily, they don't keep that information.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
I don't know about Bonnie and Clyde but my friend has a firearm that was purchased in 1969 with no serial number. Maybe Rhinoman means handguns.

At any rate what is the point? I mean death by firearm has been dropping steadily. We're all law-abiding; it's all good. Teach a kid to shoot and fish and stay in school.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
The Founding Fathers would be proud.

Of course, the MSM will absolutely reject the very idea to prevent unnecessary wetting of pants and panties in certain enclaves, but such is life. They will also attribute it to certain "Super Predator/Collectors" that will be assumed to own 10,000 or more guns, thus reducing the overall per capita numbers to something less alarming and frightening. The ratios and per capita will be manipulated, so they can continue their echo-chamber gas lighting narratives that the world is a softer and gentler place if only the neanderthals would listen, and give up their guns.
Well, apparently the neanderthals did give up their guns and look what happened to them. Apparently they were not wise and all that is left of them is their genes that we carry around and continue to propagate. I wonder if it was a fair trade?

Reactions: gen3

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
That's fewer than 2/person in the USA.

Totally in the realm of possibility.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
I'd say WE ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK !

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
The other day a lady finally received a letter that had been mailed to her fifty years ago. A not from the United States Postal Service was attached which read, "Sorry this took so long."

You really want me to believe they have good numbers on how many guns? :comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
681 Posts
The only number that truly matters is, how many are in my possession and how much ammo I have to go with it.

Reactions: gen3 and joshputman

·
Premium Member
5,479 Posts
What if I told you that 5 million of them were at the bottom of lakes and rivers after tragic canoe accidents?

There is no accurate way to get a tally on the number of guns. It wasn't until Bonny and Clyde that guns had to have serial numbers. Up until the 60s you could order a gun through the mail and have it shipped to your home with no paperwork. Guns cross over the borders all the time. Millions were brought back as war trophies after both world wars and Korea. Prisoners have made firearms in metal shops, so any competent machinist would have no trouble making one in a machine shop. Guns take a long time to wear out. I have a few from the late 1800s that are still capable of firing.

I think the 600 million estimate is probably closer to a real number than the 300 million estimate the gets tossed around. There's no way we'll ever prove either one is accurate.
I remember looking at the rifles and shotguns in Sears, Montgomery Wards, and JC Penny's when I was a kid. The canoe I lost all my guns in was bought from Sears.

A certain knucklehead I know bought a Smith & Wesson 30.06 bolt action from Montgomery Wards, and sold it!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts