Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard this term all my life.I do not remember asking on this forum. Can somebody explain?

·
Banned
10,182 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
A cant-phrase commonly used in the American West to indicate a sidearm.
Generally referred to the holstered sidearm, therefore the full sized working piece as described by Shadowsbane.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Single Action, large caliber.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
revolver with a long barrel. cowboy talk.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Think John Wayne,the movie the "Cowboys",when all the kids showed up with guns and one little kid had a gun stuffed in his pants that had like a 12" barrel

·
Registered
745 Posts
Ever see true grit?? The 1847 colt walker she carrys in a bag is a "hog leg"

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
A cant-phrase commonly used in the American West to indicate a sidearm.
Generally referred to the holstered sidearm, therefore the full sized working piece as described by Shadowsbane.
This in specific has always been my understanding as well.
Not specific just to SA or even revolvers...But basically any full size sidearm as carried on the person, holstered or not.

BTW the western culture was evolving out/dying off but was still existent even as into the early 1900s.
Persons of that region and associated culture carried everything modern, as people do today, which included then DA revolvers too as well as then also available auto-loading handguns both of foreign and domestic manufacture.

The NRA Museum _and_ the Springfield-Armory Museum both have displays with artifacts discussing this.
As contrary to the old west as was and still is commonly portrayed in hollyweird movies and in period books of fiction and tall-tale purported to be autobiographical 'memoirs'.

- Janq

1 - 10 of 10 Posts