Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm always learning something new on these forums...

Recently, I've read that when folks buy a new gun, they give it a "fluff and buff."

Would someone please explain what this is, how to do it, and why?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
" fluff and buff " is a semi generic term started i belive by Kel-Tech owners to describe a light polishing of all action parts so that they will move smoother over each other , on some pistols factory handwork isnt shall we say what it should be . Some owners will go back and do the handwork before they shoot the pistol , others will if they have problems , and still others just get rid of the pistol and pi$$ and moan online about what a pos that whole brand is based on one example LOL

·
Registered
813 Posts
It's a little "spit and polish" work and another excuse to break out the dremmel. I believe Redneck is right and that the phrase was coined by Keltec fans...haven't done anything to mine yet because it shot just fine out of the box.

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
A "Fluff & Buff" is an "Action Job" done by somebody that wants their firearm to operate a bit smoother but, is too cheap to send it out & have a real professional action job done on it. :rofl:

If you ever go out & buy a used firearm then a "Fluff & Buff Job" is what you want to watch out for - so that you can "pass" on that particular firearm & buy a different one.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
AirForceShooter said:
OHHH God nooooo
Not the Dremmel!!!!

AFS
I "Fluff and Buff" all my pistols and I NEVER use a Dremel.

A Fluff can be as little as cleaning the gunk out of a new gun and
dry cycling the moving parts - or it can be as much as actually
fixing a factory defect.

Even $1k pistols sometimes come from the Factory with
rough internal bearing surfaces , and a good "Buff" will smooth
the gun up lots quicker than firing a case of ammo sometimes!

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Really it's great if you know exactly what it is that you're trying to accomplish. :yup:
Beware the home gun smith that does not know what he is doing though.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
f & b is what you do the clean up the action and/or other parts of your gun. it will make your gun shoot better. kel-tec org has a good f & b for the p11. you can use a dremel or just your hands. i do some type of f & b on all my guns, pistol and rifles.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
As Frank has stated in the above. I do a F&B on ALL my weapons and I use a Dremmel on ALL of them.
With Dremmel the words to remember is : CLEAN-POLISH-BUFF. Do not take away material or attempt to change any angles. Remembering also that some weapons parts are "hard faced".
With Dremmel I use only felt wheel with fine buffing compound. Never letting the parts heat up past warm to the touch.
If the process takes me longer because I am gentler, fine.
I got lots of time.

I am in the process of doing one of my L1A1's now. It will take the next couple of days. (am updating sights also) --------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts