Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I admit I have not been very active on the forum the last couple of years so I apologize if I missed some big news. But last I recall Kahr was one of the biggest names in CC. But lately, there is little talk or discussion, they are hard to find, and they no longer appear to be one of the big CC contenders. I had a CM9 and CW9 and had no issues with either. I sold both and moved on and now wish I would have kept that CW9. All the attention seems to be on the Sig 365 and Hellcat and Kahr is a dated distant memory. I fear they are not keeping up and are going to fall by the wayside. By the way, anyone want to sell their CW9?

·
Banned
250 Posts
- mah P380 is presently at Kahr for the 2nd time for a fix
- it's a jamming lemon
- the 'tight tolerences/you gotta break it in with 250 rounds/you're limp wristing it' BULLOXX is getting OLD!
- never again....

- there's a reason Ruger and SW are #1...
- lesson learned...

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
In the interest of full disclosure, I’d not trust a Kahr any further than I could throw it. With my good money spent on one, Kahr taught me to feel that way in a previous decade. Now with that out of the way, it’s been my impression that Kahr slipped their market position 5-6 years ago. Or perhaps my subconscious decided to not notice any mention of the brand. Whatever the case, they’ve been their own worst enemy based on lousy QC and HORRIBLE customer service. I believe they hire retired civil servants from the license plate bureau, crank them up on bath salts and turn them loose on the Kahr owning public.

For those who have had good experiences, good for you. That’s how it’s supposed to work.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
While deciding on a micro 9 I considered several manufacturers offerings including Kahr. I evaluated based upon ergonomics, perceived quality of construction, reviews by a few reviewers I have faith in, warranty, and price. The Walther Was on top of the finalist list and Kahr was in last place. What ultimately. One thing that put it there was the 200 round break in spec to assure reliability. I just do not accept that a gun should be reliable out of the box. I do break in a view gun, but that is a reliability test and a smoothing of moving parts and springs. I test fires my final options and $ for $. Walther won out, and it had the best ergo for my hand. Kahr was at the bottom of the list of test firing too.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I worked at a Gun Shop years ago where we had more problems with Kahr than Any other brand. One of the Owners had a good one but, a lot of others were having problems.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I like the size, balance and trigger on Kahr but, I went 2 for 2 on getting a bad one so I just cannot go back even though I wish I could because I still like the way they feel in hand and the slimness for carry. Both of mine had trigger issues. One went completely dead and the other was a single shot as it would not reset.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I must have missed something! I never realized that Kahr was a top CCW!:confused: It must be a regional thing!

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
I am reading this thread with interest as well. Never had a Kahr but they are very attractive in size -- seems lots of guys here have them and like them, some not so much. My local LGS guys (very knowledgeable and honest) don't like them at all and won't even carry them in their store. I dunno. Still reading with an open mind.

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts
I own a p9 that works fine with defense loads. With Fmj off the shelves from a few manufacuterers it doesn't reliable work unless I really firmly grip the gun. While it is ok, I find other brands work better for me and conceal just as well.

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Premium Member
3,970 Posts
All I know is I have had zero issues with either my P380 or CM9. In fact, the P380 is my EDC pocket gun. The CM9 was replaced as my primary EDC IWB gun when I switched to the Sig P365, primarily for capacity reasons. The CM9 remains a back up should the P365 display any problems down the road. As for quality, I can't speculate on whether it has improved or deterriorated with the move to Alabama.

Greg Ellifritz published a couple of pistol comparisons with his experiences with Kahrs. While a few years old, these may be a worthwhile read for anyone considering a Kahr. All I can say is I continue to carry mine without issues. https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/shootout-glock-42-versus-kahr-cw-380

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an older PM9 and it has been flawless!
I have also owned a CM9 and a cw380 which all ran perfect.
I have never shot 200 break in rds through mine.
I would just put on a glove and rack the slide about 500 times.
Always worked great for me. The PM9 is barely smaller than my 365 but lighter due to having less rounds.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I believe that there are some knowledgeable gun folks on this board who have had bad experiences with Kahr pistols. Even to the point of sending a pistol back to the factory and it still doesn't run. But I think the bulk of the bad rep they have is from people who want to just take the new gun out of the box and shoot it, often with the cheapest ammo they could find. The small polymer Kahrs have tight tolerances and stiff recoil springs to handle defensive ammo. I understand the objection to the need for a break in period, but by cleaning, relubing, and manually racking the slide a hundred or so times, the guns we have run fine. My wife has 3 Kahrs and I have a CW380. They all run 100% now. I know some people are not willing to go through a break-in period, but for me, these are some great little guns. The CW380 for example is more shootable than any .380 I have seen. Just my personal experience with them . YMMV.

·
Administrator
21,034 Posts
For a long time Kahr was the only game in town for a good, small single stack 9 or 40

The Shield, G43, 48, P365 (I know its a double) and others have really put a damper on Kahr.

At one point in time almost everyone I knew had a Kahr, now most are carrying something that matches the flavor of their bigger guns.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I believe that there are some knowledgeable gun folks on this board who have had bad experiences with Kahr pistols. Even to the point of sending a pistol back to the factory and it still doesn't run. But I think the bulk of the bad rep they have is from people who want to just take the new gun out of the box and shoot it, often with the cheapest ammo they could find. The small polymer Kahrs have tight tolerances and stiff recoil springs to handle defensive ammo. I understand the objection to the need for a break in period, but by cleaning, relubing, and manually racking the slide a hundred or so times, the guns we have run fine. My wife has 3 Kahrs and I have a CW380. They all run 100% now. I know some people are not willing to go through a break-in period, but for me, these are some great little guns. The CW380 for example is more shootable than any .380 I have seen. Just my personal experience with them . YMMV.
See posts like yours get me thinking about them again. Mine were both used so maybe the previous owners abused them? Hard to say. Maybe I should just buy a new one and see what happens, or even better buy one from someone who has one that runs well. I would love to try a good example of a CW45.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts