Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A worthwhile excerpt from DC member and revolver expert Grant Cunningham's newest book, Protect Yourself With Your Snubnose Revolver book - [url]www.GrantCunningham.com www.GrantCunningham.com[/url]

From the book: "What is mindset?" ? an excerpt from my new book! - [url]www.GrantCunningham.com www.GrantCunningham.com[/url]

"Mindset

First, you need to make a decision: that your own life and the lives of your loved ones are worth protecting. This isn’t an easy decision for some people because it carries with it three unpleasant realizations: first, that you’re mortal and can die prematurely. Second, that evil people who do unspeakable things to innocent human beings exist in this world; and finally, that your defensive response may result in the death of another human being."

Grant is one of my two favorite gun writers. I'll be ordering this latest one.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
My mindset is that I will retreat from and flee all confrontations whenever possible and only use force as a very last resort. But will not hesitate if that time comes.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
The first prerequisite is having a mind to begin with.

Second is the ability to think quickly and make sound judgments under pressure.

Many people lack the first requirement and most people lack the second.

Scary!!

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Protecting my family and myself is my Mindset.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I had to drive through the 1992 LA Riots with my family and we had just watched Reginald Denny get his head smashed on TV. I put my handgun in the console and made up my mind that I wasn't going to stop and no one was going to drag me out of the car as long as I still had ammo.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Mind set is " I am going to win sucker!".

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts

Scary!!

Ah Ha! Now I understand why it is so difficult to explain things to a "lefty".

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Unfortunately, as much "situational awareness" as I attempt to maintain, I believe my defensive mindset is more akin to a swing-set. Sometimes it's UP, but sometimes it's...DOWN. :blink:

I spent years (decades?) in a necessary "Condition Orange". Now, with a simple, quiet, happy Grandpa life in the backwoods, staying on that razor's edge seems to carry a high qualify-of-life price!

·
Registered
20,123 Posts
we have more knife stabbing's lately, especially in Jerusalem,. or you could get run over by a truck or car,... you do what you can to preserve life and finish the threat as soon as possible.
always keep a watchful eye around you!
When I think of the situation and reality of what you face daily in your country, it make any perception of danger that we have here almost laughable.

Sometimes, after I travel abroad to places where the crime rate and danger level is super high, I feel stupid for the way I think about things here.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I also was thinking like that,. when I was living in Germany,.. but the truth is that in our time it can virtually happen anywhere anytime,.one must at least try to be ready when something occurs

·
Registered
41,613 Posts

Scary!!
Or in your case, a lack of both. See how quickly my mind thought of that under this intense pressure? :blink:

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
we have more knife stabbing's lately, especially in Jerusalem,. or you could get run over by a truck or car,... you do what you can to preserve life and finish the threat as soon as possible.
always keep a watchful eye around you!
Rough guess on the % of those killed vs surviving these attacks?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
There's always somebody behind you. That's true whether you're alone somewhere across the country or even in another country. There is always somebody behind you even if they're not physically behind you at the moment. Always somebody depending on you to be the one standing at the end of the fight. Always somebody depending on you to go home after it's over. Even if you live alone, even if your family is dispersed across states and countries, they're depending on you. Your family is counting on you to be alive, your co-workers and friends are counting on you to keep the spot you have in their lives. All of us have someone, somewhere, that is depending on us to go through and come out the other end.

Remember that.

·
Premium Member
36,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There's always somebody behind you. That's true whether you're alone somewhere across the country or even in another country. There is always somebody behind you even if they're not physically behind you at the moment. Always somebody depending on you to be the one standing at the end of the fight. Always somebody depending on you to go home after it's over. Even if you live alone, even if your family is dispersed across states and countries, they're depending on you. Your family is counting on you to be alive, your co-workers and friends are counting on you to keep the spot you have in their lives. All of us have someone, somewhere, that is depending on us to go through and come out the other end.

Remember that.
All true. Excellent points.

·
Registered
273 Posts
almost all the time one to two persons are the victim and the matter is shot either with a gun or a rifle,.,. again,. most of the time they are killed in the process.
better dead than alive on any event,. less taxes to pay for their prison time etc.
the thing is that its a very unpredictable situation always. one day the guy wakes up and decides that this is his day.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I've always appreciated Cooper's view on the matter.
OD, thanks so much for posting that! Sound logic & matter-of-fact analysis. Never seen it before. I especially caught "the act from which there is no return", it reminded me of voluntarily stepping out of a perfectly good airplane, only to fly & then float to the ground on thin nylon cords & whisper-thin fabric. It's NOT the time to be imagining scenarios. It's time to concentrate, keep your head, focus &...SURVIVE. :yup:

Reactions: AzQkr and OD*
1 - 20 of 42 Posts