Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
Lenexa, KS (Kansas City Metro)
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use A-Zoom snap caps in 9mm and .45 for dry fire for my Glock 17 and 30. After a while they get pretty chewed up. There is also Tipton snap caps and probably others. What do you think it the best brand and why?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I tried some snap caps (I forget which brand) that had a translucent plastic body and a spring inside. They jammed up my gun - I couldn't eject them! Ever since then, I've used nothing but A-Zoom (in multiple calibers) without any problems. They get dinged up eventually, but I don't object to buying more when I need to.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
A-Zoom is what I use in my concealed carry classes.

Reactions: Wellcraft1

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried some snap caps (I forget which brand) that had a translucent plastic body and a spring inside. They jammed up my gun - I couldn't eject them! Ever since then, I've used nothing but A-Zoom (in multiple calibers) without any problems. They get dinged up eventually, but I don't object to buying more when I need to.
The translucent plastic ones with a spring inside are Tiptons. Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use the Tipton and they work great. I saw a pretty negative video on Youtube about A-Zoom and how it leaves pieces on the cap behind. It convinced me not to use them.

Dave

·
Premium Member
8,282 Posts
I have found A Zooms do wear quickly when cycled in .45's and 9mm's.

Why someone does not make a painted brass snap cap with the polymer primer I do not know. If I reloaded I would just make an empty cartridge and glue in a rubber plug for the primer (For my revolvers I just took spent casings, tapped out the primer and glued in rubber plugs in the primer holes).

Reactions: Old Man

·
Administrator
144,123 Posts
Those are available on eBay. Primer pocket drilled out and filled with usually red silicone.
They could easily be mixed up with live rounds so....I certainly would go the extra step and possibly use a brightly colored nail polish and color code the actual bullet portion of the cartridges.

Why someone does not make a painted brass snap cap with the polymer primer I do not know. If I reloaded I would just make an empty cartridge and glue in a rubber plug for the primer (For my revolvers I just took spent casings, tapped out the primer and glued in rubber plugs in the primer holes).

·
Registered
606 Posts
This echoes my experience as well. The tiptons just get destroyed if you dry fire very much. I have some orange a zoom now and will use them occasionally. I've transitioned to loaded dummy rounds. With 147 grn bullets they weigh almost the same as normal. There's a significant difference in dry firing with a weighted mag for me. It's much more realistic especially when practicing reloads.

I honestly only use dummy rounds for the weight benefit. I've dry fired tens of thousands of trigger pulls without snap caps with my g19 and it hasn't caused any issues.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for your comments!

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts

empty cases will not cycle in a semi-auto. I use Pachmayr and never had a problem.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I load a dummy round with no powder and hot glue as the "primer". I then mark the case with sharpie and use a dremel tool to cut the side of the case so I won't confuse it with live ammo.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
The trouble with Azoom is that they work too well. The intent is to be able to safety dry fire the gun without damaging the firing mechanism. Azoom so closely mimics the dimensions of a live round that people end up repeatedly cycling them for reloading drills, misfire drills, etc. Repeating cycling will wear them out, but they last longer than plastic models. I try to stick mostly to dry fire.

·
Registered
915 Posts
A-Zoom. The transparent Pachmayr snap caps fall apart. The solid orange plastic snap caps develop a deep simple where the firing pin or striker hits the rear of the snap cap.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I use Azoom but don't forget to clean your gun after using them because they leave little flakes behind.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts