Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering about my choice for self defense ammo for my Kahr CM9. I am currently using the same Speer Gold Dot 147 gr. JHP that I use in my SW99.

Is that a wise choice or should I go to a lighter bullet?

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Whatever you can get your hands on that functions 100% in your gun that you can shoot accurately. Shot placement and flawless functioning in the gun is first, everything else is secondary. Your choice for ammo may not match mine or others.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
right now, the best ammo choice is whatever you can find...... that said, speer makes a great bullet. The "tiny Ninies" dont have a perfect bullet because of the very short barrels, and 147 gr of bullet will ruin anyones day. It will make a hole no matter what. as long as you hit the vitals, you will do well.

Reactions: CeltKnight

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
It's fine. There is no "best" round and out of 100 opinions, you'll get 102 different answers! The Gold Dots are a quality defensive round. Carry and enjoy.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Here is some ballistics testing info/results and a range report:

Ditto on the suggestions of some others (above): find what works best for your own specific gun, as often the load that'll work on yours will vary from the load that seems to work for many others who have the same gun. You never know what your particular one will like best.

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
I use DPX 95 gr. JHP. They are designed to produce the same exact results as their 115 gr. round but only out of a shorter barrel. They are a hotter than normal load and all copper so that they expand every time with those nice long petals of metal. Plus they are rated well for barrier penetration and have less recoil in smaller guns. You will be hard pressed to find anything negative about them except their price but my life is worth the extra money. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Federal HST 124gr +p would be my choice. Feeds great in my LC9 and the tests have shown it to be a reliable penetrator/expander. Maybe it will be available again in a year or two :p

·
Registered
808 Posts
I use DPX 95 gr. JHP. They are designed to produce the same exact results as their 115 gr. round but only out of a shorter barrel. They are a hotter than normal load and all copper so that they expand every time with those nice long petals of metal. Plus they are rated well for barrier penetration and have less recoil in smaller guns. You will be hard pressed to find anything negative about them except their price but my life is worth the extra money. :)
Are those the new rounds from Barnes?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Wondering about my choice for self defense ammo for my Kahr CM9. I am currently using the same Speer Gold Dot 147 gr. JHP that I use in my SW99.

i'd just buy any modern defense round. there's no "magic bullet". shorter barrels usually can't take advantage of all the energy but I don't think it matters that much. i think Speer was making a Gold Dot cartridge specifically designed for short barrels for a while with a cavity that was designed to open up better at a lower energy if you want a purpose built option. not sure if they still do though. I think there's a tendency to over think it. just stuff some ammo in there and make sure you test a couple of boxes before you carry it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
+1 on what feeds the best for your gun, and what you can find . Those today can be difficult . In the end if it goes bang, it will have to do . Reloads won't be so bad then :( it really sucks here , nothing unless you want to pay 2X 3X the old price . Good luck . Anything beats nothing :)

·
Registered
9,189 Posts
This is the very best article I have seen on the relative merits of different calibers. While it doesn't get into specific loads, it provides the best insight I have seen regarding the importance of shot placement rather than one caliber or load than another..

An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I think you've got a great round already with the 147 Gold Dots you are using.

If your Kahr feeds them reliably, I'd be perfectly confident in carrying them.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I was gonna start a new thread, but found this one so I thought I'd jump on. Has anyone had any problems with ammo run through a CM9? Several months ago I found a few boxes of old Federal Hi Shok JHP (not Hydra Shok) ammo. I read some reviews that said the stuff didn't perform well in gel tests, but I figured I'd go with it since it was cheap and not much else was available.

The stuff runs through my M&P9 without a hitch, but I tried two different magazines today in the CM9 and I had multiple failure to feed problems. As I have no other SD ammo at the moment, I refilled the mags with basic FMJ stuff until I can find a good SD ammo to run through a few times.

Anyone else found any SD ammo the CM nine doesn't like?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts

Speer Gold Dot "short barrel" (GDHP-SB) in 124+P, or 147. It's designed specifically for short barreled sub and micro compacts.

Reactions: brocktice

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
IMO you don't want to go with a light bullet in order to increase velocity in a short barreled gun. I would instead go with a heavier +P load. If you prefer 147s I would recommend the Gold Dot 147 gr short barrel +P loads. If you don't want to go with a +P, a standard pressure load with a heavier bullet is still better than a light one.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts