Defensive Carry banner

What is the mark up and guns?

23K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Squawker 
#1 ·
Is there a lot of profit in guns for gun shops?

I would think the overhead would be pretty high with security and insurance. So I would guess that the markup is pretty high, but then again I was at a gun show and most of the guns there were not that much cheaper than in the gun shops I go to.

#2 ·
Depends on what type of shop you're in. Most gun shops the markup is 10% to 35% for new and used guns. Many pawn shops are making 50% to 100% profit on their firearms.

It's a lot of "Just Depends" on the owner.

Jungle Work

#3 ·
Many years ago I worked part-time in a local gun store. In this particuliar shop they would not mark up the weapons that much, maybe 10-15%. Where they made their money was the 40-60% mark up on accessories. They knew that most people buying a weapon would also buy ammo, cleaning gear, holsters, etc. We sold A LOT! of guns becasue the prices were great compared to other shops. We made our bones on all of the accessories that went with it.

#4 ·
Depends on who the shop is a "Dealer" for- non-polymer HKs were bringing about 10%, though I'm sure the margin is better on the USP, etc.. Glock is ridiculous. Assuming the Dealer prices haven't changed much (I don't know), and that LE price is +/-$100 than you and I pay, and that still includes 10-15%........25-30% on a Glock?!? Just a guess, and I may be way off, but cost of materials and the numbers made don't justify the prices pushing $500.

Different manufacturers also have different buy-in prices, the dealer has to buy so much from the manufacturer to get a better dealer price (and allow him to do more volume and/or increase his margin).

ClassIII and a couple of other dealers are on here, hopefully they'll chime in........

#5 ·
Varies

It varies. Just like anything else.

That said, some rely on volume with low markup. I see you are in Austin. If you ever head out to the Tomball area, I hear that Tomball Pawn has the lowest prices for miles around. Haven't been up there yet, waitng on them to get in some XD 45's. But I know a few people who have bought stuff there and they all got great deals.

#7 ·
My impression has been that most dealers do not make that good of a living on just gun sales - exceptions possibly being if they get a good trade-in and sell on with a good mark.

My local guy has always cut me good deals and I know for sure he ain't gettin rich off me!

#8 ·
MSRP is generally 35ish% mark up of the dealer's cost. At least that's what it was when I got my Ruger and Smith at cost. My S&W 500's MSRP was about 1k and I got it at $640. From what I've seen dealers usually sell for slightly less than MSRP. But if you know the selling price and the MSRP and use the 35% rule then you can figure out how much they are marking it up.

#10 ·
While a FFL in Maine,I shopped from the same catalogs as the gun shops did(Jerrys,Bonitz,Bumble Bee,Graff Bros.,etc.) Lemme tell ya,the markup is(for the most part) H U G E ! Same with scopes,holsters,rings,cleaning equip.,ammo, and most of the rest of the stuff that you see on the shelves.

Example: I was at one of the local gunshops yesterday. I saw several items that looked outragous(inflated).When I got home I looked them up in the master Midway catalog. Gunshop item=$12.99 Midway item $6.99 Gunshop item=$35.95 Midway item=$12.95 There were a couple more IIRC that were marked up(at least)50%-60%.

Say what you want, but in my opinion,in general,gunshops are a rip off. I am also tired of hearing the gunshop owners and employee's whine about the retailers such as Academy,Wal-Mart,K-Mart,and the like. Gunshops absolutely hate the competition. One of the local gunshops has WWB .45ACP for 3bucks a box MORE than I can buy it from Wal-Mart.

There are some good people working in some of the gunshops but competition in buisness is what saves the consumer like you and me money. Gunshops seem to want it all. ---------

#11 ·
The gun store where I buy my guns (oddly enough, named : "The Gun Store"), only marks new guns up 10%. I'm sure that it's higher on used, as they usually only offer 50% of their new price to purchase a used gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.