Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new holster for my G19 Gen 5. Below are the ones I've shortlisted; I'd love to hear your thoughts/opinions on what works best for you and why.

• PHLster Pro Holster
  • PHLster Enigma Express
  • G-Code PHENOM STEALTH
  • JX Tactical Fat Guy Holster
  • JMCK AIWB Wing Claw 2.5
  • Tenicor VELO4
I'd probably pair the holster with the Mastermind Tactics APPENDIX CARRY PILLOW-PAD for enhanced concealment and comfort.

Sleeve Rectangle Wood Automotive design Font

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
I'm looking for a new holster for my G19 Gen 5. Below are the ones I've shortlisted; I'd love to hear your thoughts/opinions on what works best for you and why.

• PHLster Pro Holster
  • PHLster Enigma Express
  • G-Code PHENOM STEALTH
  • Tenicor VELO4
I'd probably pair the holster with the Mastermind Tactics APPENDIX CARRY PILLOW-PAD for enhanced concealment and comfort.

View attachment 390749
Is this "what YOU run"?

·
Registered
843 Posts
I've been EDCing a Glock 19 primarily since I switched over to it back in 2005. The two holsters that I primarily use are a Kramer horsehide OWB belt scabbard - during the Spring, Fall, and Winter months. And my Sparks SSII IWB holster during the Summer or when I feel that I need/want a little more concealment.

I have "some" other holsters for my 19s that I use from time to time, but these two get the most use.

Why - they just work, been using Kramer OWB belt scabbards since the early 90s, to include a period of time that I worked in a plain clothes anti-crime unit, it housed my duty gun a SIG P220 at that time. Best OWB holster available. (My opinion of course ;) )

I like the straps on the Sparks SSII and the rigid mouth opening. I have some other IWB holsters that I like also though.

I only carry at the 3:30 to 4:00 position, 35+ years now, don't see any reason to change for the remainder of my time on this rock.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Premium Member
43,052 Posts
My set-up probably would be very uncomfortable for most. Describing it, and telling folks why it is "the best" would be pointless. I heavily modify every holster I buy until it fits and conceals exactly as I need it.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
With me, holster selections tend to revolve around how I want to carry a sidearm. If I want close concealment, as in closer to my body, I like the DeSantis Mini Scabbard belt holster. If I want my sidearm to rest slightly away from my body, I like the Fobus Evolution belt holster. Notice I specified the "Evolution" series for this brand.

Reactions: QuickQuestionAnon

·
Premium Member
Lenexa, KS (Kansas City Metro)
980 Posts
The choice of holsters is very subjective and a personal thing because everyone’s body is built a little differently.

I have two N8Tactical Professional IWB tuckable holsters, www.n8tactical.com .

Tuckable means your shirt can be tucked in around the outside of the holster while wearing it inside your belt. One holster is for my Glock 17.4 and the other holster is for my Glock 30.4 and my Glock 19.5. N8 sells several types of holsters but I like their Professional model best. It is a single clip holster that I wear at 9 o’clock (right behind my 2nd belt loop) as I am left handed. Some people don’t like a single clip because they say the holster moves around. Mine settles into my left hip and doesn’t move around at all. It is all day wearing comfort. Because it is a single clip instead of a double clip it is very quick and easy to put on and take off which I really like.

The Professional has 3 layers of material. A very soft suede backing that sits against your body inside your belt, then a rubber neoprene layer to block moisture from reaching the gun and the soft black leather on the outside of the holster that the gun sits next to. No part of the gun ever touches your body. The gun slides into a poly carbonate shell which has retention, trigger guard protection and adjustable cant.

N8 has a lifetime guarantee and a 2 week trial. Their products and customer service is absolutely superior.

While talking about holsters, it is very important to have a good gun belt to hold and support the weight of the holster and gun. You shouldn’t use a “department store” belt as it is not thick enough, wide enough or rigid enough. I highly recommend a Bigfoot gunbelt www.gunbelts.com. I have two 18 ounce belts (black and brown) with a stainless steel core between the two layers of English bridle leather. They give you a 7 day trial and their quality and customer service is also superior.
Personal protective equipment Luggage and bags Font Bag Camera accessory
Musical instrument accessory Beige Wood Eyewear Eye glass accessory

Reactions: Militant

·
Registered
5,398 Posts

• PHLster Pro Holster
  • PHLster Enigma Express
  • G-Code PHENOM STEALTH
  • Tenicor VELO4

View attachment 390749
Vedder Lightuck with the claw. That pillow looks interesting but it also looks very bulky try a Lightuck without any wedge type device you may not need one. If you think you do need a wedge velcro on a soft gel shoe heel insert they are smaller and their shape lends itself to a holsters shape, its an old tried and true solution.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Vedder Lightuck with the claw. That pillow looks interesting but it also looks very bulky try a Lightuck without any wedge type device you may not need one. If you think you do need a wedge velcro on a soft gel shoe heel insert they are smaller and their shape lends itself to a holsters shape, its an old tried and true solution.
It does look bulky but it actually helps with concealment. Not sure what kind of magic they use, but it really does.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
It does look bulky but it actually helps with concealment. Not sure what kind of magic they use, but it really does.
Oh I'm sure it does the job same as any type of wedge that's helping push the grip into your body. From my many years of carrying exclusively AIWB you will want something that gets the job done without adding any additional bulk.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
I carry everything in a JMCK 2.5 AIWB holster. Don’t understand of the “what works for me won’t work for you” crowd. It’s a production holster used by thousands! Same with other higher quality holsters. Was recommended to me but real users and glad they did. Only “personal” quality of a holster, I have found, is where on your body you are going to wear it. And maybe adding a wedge/pillow or claw. But I have noticed that JMCK and PHLSTER holsters seem to be more comfortable and better made than cheaper ones. Even if they look the same! So they are my two go to for holsters. Well, Kydex holsters for striker fired weapons. If it’s leather, it’s either Kirkland or Andrews. Want to try a Kramer, but too happy with what I got to change.

There are other good holsters too. I have the Enigma in G17 size for my G19/26, and a G48 size for my G43. Also for my P365s. They are for when. I don’t wear pants with a belt.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I carry everything in a JMCK 2.5 AIWB holster. Don’t understand of the “what works for me won’t work for you” crowd. It’s a production holster used by thousands! Same with other higher quality holsters. Was recommended to me but real users and glad they did. Only “personal” quality of a holster, I have found, is where on your body you are going to wear it. And maybe adding a wedge/pillow or claw. But I have noticed that JMCK and PHLSTER holsters seem to be more comfortable and better made than cheaper ones. Even if they look the same! So they are my two go to for holsters. Well, Kydex holsters for striker fired weapons. If it’s leather, it’s either Kirkland or Andrews. Want to try a Kramer, but too happy with what I got to change.

There are other good holsters too. I have the Enigma in G17 size for my G19/26, and a G48 size for my G43. Also for my P365s. They are for when. I don’t wear pants with a belt.
How comfortable is the Engima compared to the JMCK and the regular PHLster holsters? All I care about is comfort.

·
Premium Member
43,052 Posts
One of the most comfortable holsters I own. It has lots of aftermarket mods put on it to make it so:

Air gun Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol

·
Registered
629 Posts
I already posted a picture of my opinion of the most comfortable Glock 19 holster, here's why.

I don't necessarily know that Kramer specifically is the most comfortable but I prefer OWB.

That may change when I hit my goal weight but I noticed that even when my pants size was going up it still felt like all the pressure from my belt was focused on my inside the waistband holster. It got painful after a while and I quit carrying in the waistband.

I've noticed that since I've started losing weight and my pants are getting much looser I've tried in the waistband carrier a couple of times and it's still not comfortable.

·
Premium Member
43,052 Posts
I already posted a picture of my opinion of the most comfortable Glock 19 holster, here's why.

I don't necessarily know that Kramer specifically is the most comfortable but I prefer OWB.

That may change when I hit my goal weight but I noticed that even when my pants size was going up it still felt like all the pressure from my belt was focused on my inside the waistband holster. It got painful after a while and I quit carrying in the waistband.

I've noticed that since I've started losing weight and my pants are getting much looser I've tried in the waistband carrier a couple of times and it's still not comfortable.
When I was carrying strong side IWB, this style of holster, with front and rear wing, was the only style I could make work effectively and comfortably. I eventually started making my own from kydex. Since I switched to AIWB, I buy off the shelf and then adjust to my liking:

Reactions: sammeow
1 - 20 of 31 Posts