Defensive Carry banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
I usually carry a 9mm Glock 17/19/26 depending on my mode of dress and where I am going to be.
2 Posts
For me it was a Sig P226R that I had. I also had a P228 that worked very well in that regard as well. However I am a Glock fanboy now but I won't say I don't miss those Sigs.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts

SIG P320 Full-size 9mm - softest shooting pistol I've felt, amazing! (aside from the STI EDGE, that is, which shoots .40S&W defense ammo while feeling like 9mm target rounds.)

My STI Edge is in .40S&W, but based on how it feels, I would expect the STI EDGE in 9mm to feel like shooting a .22.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #63

SIG P320 Full-size 9mm - softest shooting pistol I've felt, amazing! (aside from the STI EDGE, that is, which shoots .40S&W defense ammo while feeling like 9mm target rounds.)
This is a great example where the feeling of a gun is dependent on the shooter. I found the P320's to be a little bit jumpy.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
This is a great example where the feeling of a gun is dependent on the shooter. I found the P320's to be a little bit jumpy.
That's very surprising. Were you shooting the FULL size P320 model? There is so much weight out front on the FULL size model that I can't imagine anyone thought it to be "jumpy". I have the Full size .40S&W, as well, and shooting .40S&W defense loads in it feels like 9mm target loads - soft, minimal muzzle rise, quick return to target, well-dampened... like a full length Rolls Royce rides. :cool:

To each his own, of course, as some people think the Glock 23 (.40S&W) is not a "snappy" pistol. :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
5,904 Posts
G19, S&W Shield, and a full sized M&P all feel about the same to me. Worst was a Beretta Nano.

·
Registered
620 Posts
It's a toss-up between my SIG P225-A1 and my Tanfoglio Witness Pavona. The Pavona is specifically engineered to rack easier and shoot with less felt recoil. Not bad for a mostly steel gun!

·
Registered
880 Posts
A Taylor Arms 1911 in 9mm. All steel, full size 1911. Takes a 9 lb recoil spring.
But the gun weighs 43 oz. too.
Warning use only CMC type mags, spacer at the back of the mag.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Of what I have, the Barretta 92 is the softest, though my friend's CZ75 is right up there. I haven't ever fired a 1911 in 9mm, but I would think they would be pretty soft too.

Reactions: Wavygravy

·
Registered
42 Posts
my S&W 5906 was pretty tame in the recoil department, but, as said, any metal frame pistol will not have as much apparent recoil as a lighter poly frame pistol. It shot very well and accurately too, but I never could get it to shoot flat. The bullets always arced down and hit the ground eventually. 😜

·
Super Moderator
18,337 Posts
Saw this thread while gone for eight days to Nashville to play with granddaughters, but couldn't post because I'm a nitwit who just doesn't play well on tablets.

Interesting thread. 9mm in a full-sized gun isn't much for recoil. I always suspected that the SIG P210 would probably cop the prize for least recoil in a pistol chambered for the cartridge. Never owned or shot one though.

SIG P210

In my view, the primary contributors to the reduction of recoil sensation are weight and wide grips and wide back straps if of a full frame design. Of secondary contribution are a longer barrel and the much over-touted low bore axis.

Most compact 9mm I've shot was a brother-in-law's favored Kahr S9. Recoil wasn't much to write home about with it.

As I'm not interested any any sort of compact 9mm pistol for any purpose, only full-sized 9mms live here. Recoil of all of them is too low to even register on the "recoil meter" so no "technical reading" of a perception of relative recoil may be obtained.

Of these, the Star BM has perhaps the most recoil, but it's a little all-forged-steel chunk so is still mild mannered. I guess if I was gonna pick one of the 9mms here I'd say the CZ 75 BD has the least amount of perceived recoil.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Saw this thread while gone for eight days to Nashville to play with granddaughters, but couldn't post because I'm a nitwit who just doesn't play well on tablets.

Interesting thread. 9mm in a full-sized gun isn't much for recoil. I always suspected that the SIG P210 would probably cop the prize for least recoil in a pistol chambered for the cartridge. Never owned or shot one though.

SIG P210

In my view, the primary contributors to the reduction of recoil sensation are weight and wide grips and wide back straps if of a full frame design. Of secondary contribution are a longer barrel and the much over-touted low bore axis.

Most compact 9mm I've shot was a brother-in-law's favored Kahr S9. Recoil wasn't much to write home about with it.

As I'm not interested any any sort of compact 9mm pistol for any purpose, only full-sized 9mms live here. Recoil of all of them is too low to even register on the "recoil meter" so no "technical reading" of a perception of relative recoil may be obtained.

Of these, the Star BM has perhaps the most recoil, but it's a little all-forged-steel chunk so is still mild mannered. I guess if I was gonna pick one of the 9mms here I'd say the CZ 75 BD has the least amount of perceived recoil.
that CZ also has the best ergonomics of any pistol you can put in your hand, and with the slide inside the rails one of the lowest bore axis in a normal looking pistol they eat recoil like a fat kid eating M&Ms...I'm a Sig classic P series guy to the bone but a CZ was made for my hand every time I pick one up.....yours is beautiful by the way

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts

Is that a (gasp) GLOCK I see on the lower LH? I can't believe you have one!:eek:

·
Super Moderator
18,337 Posts
Is that a (gasp) GLOCK I see on the lower LH? I can't believe you have one!:eek:

I know Wavygravy. I am so ashamed.

Actually I picked that 2nd generation Glock 17 up from a gun show promoter friend for $275 during the December 2015 Abilene, Texas Silver Spur gun show. He'd taken it in on his exhibit tables in trade along with two other Glocks and just wanted to be rid of it. It's an ex Washington D. C. Metropolitan Police gun and is so marked (MPDC). Seemed like a small investment and a "deal" for me to better learn what all the fuss was about Glock. Also to learn about the "inwardness" of the thing and its design as well as to better learn how to hate on Glocks more. Which I do.

That Glock's never been totted. No accessories, no holster, no spare magazine is on hand. I simply don't take it seriously and view it as a specimen. Have expected it to ultimately be "tradin' goods" at some point, but as this is the "black hole of Calcutta" of gundom, it's yet roosting on a shelf in the safe. It does get trotted out infrequently for an airing.

It's a serviceable 9mm pistol. Not special. Not perfection.

Now the CZ or the High-Power? Those are another story entirely.

I'm not really keen on the 9mm cartridge for that matter which is a weird quirk since I maintain a high regard for the .38 Special in revolvers larger than snively snubs. Some of the 9mm pistols though represent some of the finest and most interesting designs to ever be fielded and are well worth owning.

·
Super Moderator
18,337 Posts
Well ... there is that Wavygravy.

I have to hold my nose in order to own the three polymer pistols which live here yet are scarcely used, but ...

... there is a huge number of fine and knowledgeable Forum folk who regularly post here who esteem them highly and are of the opinion that polymer pistols are of great advantage, superior to all other choices, and essential for their handgun needs. It's also certain that some of those folks will out-shoot me and my favorite handguns with their favorite polymer handguns. One other important item is that polymer pistols are easier to acquire without a large cash outlay. Polymer pistols allow handgun fans to play with more guns for the money. This is good for it puts more guns in the hands of American citizens. More guns in Americans' hands means more citizens who will take a dim view of politicians' efforts to legislate gun ownership out of existence.

61 - 80 of 116 Posts