Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a state "Concealed Weapons License Travel Guide" from www.legallyarmed.com quite some time ago, and they never sent me anything. Even after many emails to them, http://www.legallyarmed.com has apperently taken my money, and completely ignores my emails. (I have seen another post elsewhere on this exact same topic that was over two years old, so this apperently isn't a new or rare occurance for them). Does anyone know if www.legallyarmed.com is a scam site? Has anyone else had this same problem? It's only $12 bucks, but still...

Thank you,

Milly

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Never seen the site before and have no information on the legitimacy of their product. Right off the bat I'd say it looks like you were had and I'm sorry to say it kinda looks like you'll be waiting with an empty mailbox from that site.

JMO, the CWLTG is a waste of $12. Good luck to you and sorry to hear about the scam job.

GBK

·
Registered
541 Posts
hate to hear that your out $12.00 Looks like to me that there is more than enough info on this website for free though

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
After a quick google search, there are complaints like yours going back to 2007. You just lost $12, but there should be a way to make complaints and get these scammers shut down. If you paid with a CC you can get your money back through them.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
One problem with printed travel guides like that is the laws are constantly changing,what was either legal/illegal one day could change,This site has a wealth of current Info from people that actually live in the state,where to go and where not to go

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
First off, welcome to DC.com from Virginia.

It appears you may very well have gotten ripped off. I'd report them to the BBB and the AG office in the state they operate from. Handgunlaw.us is a good site for any info you might need for traveling, as well as it having links to the various states. I have it bookmarked on all my computers.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I don't know about you but stealing from someone youknow is armed doesn't seem to smart to me... :gah:

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Welcome to this site from South Carolina...As others have said, I think you can chalk up a $12 lesson...You will gain a wealth of information on this site at "NO COST" and if you can't find what you are looking for thru searching, just ask!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the same problem. Earlier this year I had ordered a booklet and even chatted with the guy briefly on the phone. But the pamphlet never arrived. Months later I sent an email asking for my money back and have not received a reply.

Guess I'll call the BBB.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Milly, welcome from North Carolina. Sounds like something you can file under "Life Experiences".

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
I have the same problem. Earlier this year I had ordered a booklet and even chatted with the guy briefly on the phone. But the pamphlet never arrived. Months later I sent an email asking for my money back and have not received a reply.

Guess I'll call the BBB.
While the BBB may be of some help, I think bringing it to the attention of the AG's office is a better way to go. While $12. isn't much, if 1000 people have been fleeced out of that amount your talking $12,000. Not up on all the laws involved, but I believe internet fraud is a federal crime.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
It's not a scam. I've met the guy and he's legit; I do have one of his books... but he's a quack.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
One of the best ways to check on States you go through, or intend to go through, call them!

In Florida we just dial it in on the web.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I ordered a state "Concealed Weapons License Travel Guide" from Homeland Security works best with legally armed citizens quite some time ago, and they never sent me anything. Even after many emails to them, Homeland Security works best with legally armed citizens has apperently taken my money, and completely ignores my emails. (I have seen another post elsewhere on this exact same topic that was over two years old, so this apperently isn't a new or rare occurance for them). Does anyone know if Homeland Security works best with legally armed citizens is a scam site? Has anyone else had this same problem? It's only $12 bucks, but still...

Thank you,

Milly
It appears to be a download purchase, meaning that you provide the payment information, and then download the file to your computer. Unless you ordered some other product from them, in addition to the pdf file you were supposed to download as part of the purchase process, then they may not have anything to send you.

A LOT of people have problems with download purchases, but that doesn't necessarily make the vendor a scam site. Sometimes, it is just a matter of confusing, complicated screens and text getting in the way of what should be an easy process.

That said, you can gather the same information from Handgunlaw.us, and the information is kept very current.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It appears to be a download purchase, meaning that you provide the payment information, and then download the file to your computer. Unless you ordered some other product from them, in addition to the pdf file you were supposed to download as part of the purchase process, then they may not have anything to send you.

A LOT of people have problems with download purchases, but that doesn't necessarily make the vendor a scam site. Sometimes, it is just a matter of confusing, complicated screens and text getting in the way of what should be an easy process.
Thanks for all of the great info and feedback, guys!

No Tom, thanks for your input, but this guy at legallyarmed.com "sells" a physical booklet, which is $10 for the booklet itself and $2 for the shipping. He also "sells" a PDF file for $5, which you have to download. (I am not going to risk $5 more to see if the download option is legit). I had chosen to get the already printed booklet (for my car), for a grand total of $12. This he never sent, nor did he respond to multiple emails. (Since I am in I.T., I never have problems downloading things!)

Thank you all,

Milly

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just call up your CC company or paypal or whoever you used to pay him and do a chargeback. If everyone that he scams does this, whoever he accepts payments through will probably drop him. It's generally a pretty quick and easy process.

Sorry to hear about it. I'll go ahead and agree with everyone that you'd be better off just printing out all of the docs on handgunlaw.us

·
Administrator
143,838 Posts
How can a person be a legitimate quack? Just wondering. :biggrin2:

It's not a scam. I've met the guy and he's legit; I do have one of his books... but he's a quack.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
...No Tom, thanks for your input, but this guy at legallyarmed.com "sells" a physical booklet, which is $10 for the booklet itself and $2 for the shipping. He also "sells" a PDF file for $5, which you have to download. (I am not going to risk $5 more to see if the download option is legit). I had chosen to get the already printed booklet (for my car), for a grand total of $12. This he never sent, nor did he respond to multiple emails. (Since I am in I.T., I never have problems downloading things!)...
I stand corrected. I finally found the catalog, indirectly, through two other pages to get there. The PDF was available from the homepage, and no mention of the printed version that I see though I may be overlooking it. No direct link to the catalog, either. Weird. My mistake.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts