Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your biggest SD gun mistake of all time. This is mine. I don't know why I bought the KSG base gun to begin with since I don't like BullPups. First I found that it was not reliable so I made it reliable, but that was not enough for some reason and I changed the rail system. Then I don't know what happened, I kept messing with it. It is reasonably accurate out to 100 yards with Berneke slugs but it weighs a ton. Maybe it needs to be mounted on the top of a HumVee. The EoTech is even contoured and it is NV capable. I even put it in a waterproof compression sack and put it in the freezer for an hour to show myself it was not reliable when exposed to ice cold (nada, it cycled fine even covered with frost). At this point it is completely rebuilt internally as well as most of the externals too, but I don't know why.

Now all the other guns in the safe try to keep away from it (the 870 tells the other guns it is not related to it). It's my personal Frankengun.

My wife asked what is it for? I said big bear defense for you (smiling)? She said how many? Are you thinking platoon strength at night?

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Sold a Bersa Thunder and a Walther P38, Stupid struck twice. Well more than that but that's all I will admit to.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I've sold a few that I wish I hadn't. You know what they say about hindsight. I just felt I had to many to store and care for.

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
SIG P229 Extreme in 9mm.

Complete impulse buy. Sold some guns and had some "gun money" to burn. Has the SRT, which I actually don't care for the DA pull on that gun. Has night sights, which are neither a plus nor minus for me. Has a light rail, which I don't use and will never use. And does not have the E2 grips. And I shoot both by CZ 75D PCR and Browning HI Power as well as the 229. So it just sits in my safe.

It's a fantastic gun for the right person, but I'm not that person.

I'll probably sell it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Tried to catch a falling Glock...

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
AMD 1911, I don’t know if it had been Bubbified or not but that was the sorriest pistol I have ever owned, luckily I was able to trade it for a Ruger Security Six and even though I lost money I got the better end of the deal.

·
Registered
124 Posts
A surplus 9mm SIG P6 that I could never fall in love with for the size, weight or "whatever". Then went to a SIG 938 which was (and still) a great pistol. Today, I'm carrying a S&W 642 that fits my lifestyle better.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I bought probly 8 subcompact pistols before I realized that I can conceal a much larger gun just as effectively.

That's not counting pocket guns, which I still like for occasional use.

There was also that time I knew my PPK was unloaded since it had been in storage for months, then decided I should check anyway (thank god).

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
Kel Tec PF9. Biggest jammomatic POS I've ever encountered. Too many malfunctions to count.

Reactions: Rhinoman

·
Registered
233 Posts
Bought two Gen 4 Glock 19s several months apart in 2012. Both gave severe brass-to-face from the very first magazine in each one. I don't know how much time, effort and money I spent trying every fix suggested on the gun forums trying to correct a problem that Glock knew about and did not fix. Finally learned about the Apex extractor kit and installed it in both guns. Fixed the problem and haven't had a single BTF in over 2K rounds through each gun.

After owning Glocks for 20 years I lost any confidence in them. Their minions still claim BTF is caused by weak ammo or a poor grip. Total crap. It's mostly the fault of the money saving and cheapening-of-the parts changes that Glock has made from the original design. I never had any problems with the previous models and calibers Glocks that I had owned.

I also had a NIB G19 in the back of the safe which I had never fired. I bought it just after Sandy Hook just in case the regulatory madness went off the charts. After my sorry experience with the two other G19s I sold it and bought another PPQ. Looking back I should have just traded off those two pieces of crap and took my losses.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Beretta Nano

I was dry firing it to get used to the heavy trigger and smooth it out some and realized I had worked up a nice blister on my index finger.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
That would be a Charter Arms Undercover that I purchased in the mid-80's. The trigger pull was off the charts heavy which no doubt added to its poor "minute of barn door accuracy"! :mad:

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I've made several mistakes.

I got rid of a Ruger Blackhawk when I was headed overseas.

I bought a KelTek P11 for my wife. Not only was it not reliable, it had too much recoil for her.

I bought a Kahr PM40 when they first came out. It's the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned and it isn't even big enough to be an effective club.

I stocked up on cheap 9mm ammo before trying it out in my pistol. It's so dirty that I can only shoot about two magazines before the pistol is so gummed up that I have to stop and clean it.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
My biggest mistake? "Dry firing" my SIG 220 and putting a hole in my basement bathroom wall! In a moment of complete stupidity, I didn't check to see if the gun was loaded. I was lucky, no damage that couldn't be fixed that wife would ever notice and nothing got seriously damaged, but, how stupid can a shooter be? I am embarrassed to admit this, but it was my biggest mistake with my SD gun. Be safe (and smart my friends) and always check your weapons before drilling with them.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Selling my 95% + colt king cobra. This was before i really got into firearms, and took the word of the gunsmith. He gave me $350 for it

1 - 20 of 54 Posts