Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just gotten the Walther Creed and I am going to run it through the ringer on my channel, much like I did with the PPX, but in a more complete fashion since it is winter and the wife wants to have it as her home gun. My procedure for break-in is a bit different depending on the role of the firearm involved. For the Creed, it is going to get shot fast and get heated up as fast as possible, while trying to get good hits on target.
As far as preparation, I give my pistols a little wipe and lubricate them right away. Usually I let them sit overnight so the lubricant can penetrate the metal more efficiently, or I sit there and run the action and dry fire it with snap caps to get started on smoothing out the trigger.
From here, I just grab some ammo, go down to the range in my backyard, and get to work. For the Creed, I will be posting footage of the drills I try with the pistol on my channel. Should be fun, fingers crossed.

Do you have any specific method for breaking in a pistol?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I have just gotten the Walther Creed and I am going to run it through the ringer on my channel, much like I did with the PPX, but in a more complete fashion since it is winter and the wife wants to have it as her home gun. My procedure for break-in is a bit different depending on the role of the firearm involved. For the Creed, it is going to get shot fast and get heated up as fast as possible, while trying to get good hits on target.
As far as preparation, I give my pistols a little wipe and lubricate them right away. Usually I let them sit overnight so the lubricant can penetrate the metal more efficiently, or I sit there and run the action and dry fire it with snap caps to get started on smoothing out the trigger.
From here, I just grab some ammo, go down to the range in my backyard, and get to work. For the Creed, I will be posting footage of the drills I try with the pistol on my channel. Should be fun, fingers crossed.

Do you have any specific method for breaking in a pistol?

What ???

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I have this quaint habit of reading the manual provided with the firearm, followed by basic disassembly, cleaning/lubrication, and reassembly. Firing sessions utilizing all (6) magazines. That's with the two or three provided by the manufacture and the additional OEM magazines I purchase to arrive at (6) total. An example lets say 9mmLuger semiautomatic pistol 350 rounds of NATO spec 124Gr-FMJ and 150 rounds of Federal HST or Winchester Ranger 147Gr HP.

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
My break in procedure is, put ammo in it and shoot it the same way I plan on shooting it for the rest of its life span.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Clean it load it shoot it . Wipe it down load it stick it in the holster. It is a gun not a 1000 HP race car No real magic tricks.
This. Clean it and drive it like you stole it.

Unless it's a Kahr, in which case you need to rack the slide a million times first.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
Maybe I'm just OCD, but I always do a complete disassembly, de-burr, polish, etc. as needed.
Reassemble, lube and shoot the crap out of it with my carry ammo.
Get to know the weapon much better that way too.

·
Registered
41,518 Posts
Maybe I'm just OCD, but I always do a complete disassembly, de-burr, polish, etc. as needed.
Yeah, we should talk about that...

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
My semi-auto was used, so it was already broke in.
My revolver (new) cleaned, dry-fired, shot, cleaned, dry-fired, shot, repeat several times. Polished contact spots, changed springs and added shims. Stoot, clean, repeat. Now it's carried 15-20% of the time.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
That's great advice, molleur. But probably not for those who are intimidated by having to field strip their guns.

For the sake of labels - I'm calling you the "exception." Also, I'm betting your guns run very well indeed

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Take it to range run some decent ammo (Federal, WWB or Freedom) then go with Steel or Aluminum. Then go with some JHP. Shoot normal then one handed both strong side and weak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Eric357 and OD*

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Clean, load, shoot/sight in, carry for a revolver. Clean, load, shoot a couple hundred to make sure there won't be any feeding issues, clean again, carry.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
It has nothing to do with why I bought the gun, it is the type of gun I bought.
-semi auto pistol : field strip, clean,lube, function check, shoot. Doesn't matter if it is new, or just new to me.
-revolver: I should have already performed some basic checks (timing, gap, rod) so clean, lube, shoot.

After that, certain guns have individual quirks that can be addressed or personalized.

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
Dont clean initially. Try to make the gun fail by shooting every variety of ammo through it I can, and limp wristing, and everything in between.

I want to know how the thing fires "right from the factory", and what ammo, (if any), it wont handle.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
That's great advice, molleur. But probably not for those who are intimidated by having to field strip their guns.

For the sake of labels - I'm calling you the "exception." Also, I'm betting your guns run very well indeed
Yep, they all run as they should.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I've been subscribing to the old Baer Break In Method for my new guns for a while now - function test and lube liberally out of the box, then run 'em wet and dirty for at least a few hundred rounds before taking them apart and cleaning them. Works great, my pistols run smooth, reliably, and are accurate.

ETA: I use the guns as I normally would during this break in period - competition, training, plinking, and, if it runs through at least a couple of boxes of ammo, including carry loads, without any issues, I'll carry it wet and dirty, too.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts