Votes: 3 1.3%
  • This pole is dumb...

Votes: 4 1.8%
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually carry .40 S&W, and sometimes .45 ACP. It really depends on where I'm planning on going.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I like the .40 S&W... it gives me more punch than the 9mm and more capacity than the .45acp.

·
Super Moderator
18,489 Posts
Realistically, the .38 Special.

I like the cartridge and the fact that it may be housed in six-shot revolvers compact enough to conceal. It may be used with loadings that offer a good balance of effectiveness and control. It does everything that the 9mm does while being "revolver-dependable." I have some dandy .357 Magnum revolvers on hand that make excellent concealed carry handguns but scarcely ever carry them as I really don't see the .357 Magnum as bringing that much additional effectiveness to the table, despite it's reputation. If I choose to embrace more "ummph" than the .38 Special delivers I'll go for the non-magnum .44 and .45 caliber handguns rather than the .357 Magnum.

Which brings us to my second favorite concealed carry round, the .45 ACP. This one offers a good measure of effectiveness and the pistols may be concealed just as handily as a medium sized revolver. This gives .45 ACP an advantage over the .44 Special (another particular favorite cartridge) and the .45 Colt, both of which require large-framed revolvers to house them. Though it isn't popular to say on internet forums where conventional wisdom says that "all handgun cartridges are "equal" now days because of advances in design and construction of expanding bullets" and "no handgun is an effective choice for stopping an assailant," I am of the opinion that the .45 ACP offers a real advantage and is a superior choice over most other cartridges commonly used for self-defense, including my beloved .38 Special guns. I'm not quite as sold on automatic pistols as I am revolvers for ultimate dependability but I am again "dabbling a toe" in .45 ACP carry again after some years of being wed to "revolver only." In bygone years I would carry the 1911 quite often.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
.38+P. 9 mm .357. Use buffalo bore for cc
I agree with Easy8 and Bmcgilvray....

For daily carry anyone of these calibers in the proper loading will render good service to anyone. The key to the .36 caliber rounds is getting their velocity and energy numbers up to reliably expand. The Buffalo Bore loads Easy8 mentioned are amongst those I would carry with confidence. Modern loads such as this have done a lot for these calibers, not that I am against the .45 which I am also a fan of. With growing older and wiser comes the added knowledge of knowing ones limitations. So at my age and abilities (or disabilities) I am more comfortable with a handgun and cartridge I can score quick, well placed hits with. For me these calibers work the best to achieve that goal.

Reactions: Aceoky and OD*

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
38 SPL for me too. Otherwise 380 ACP and occasionally one of my 9mms. My one pistol chambered in 45ACP is too large for concealed carry so it never gets the carry nod.

·
Banned
963 Posts
I have them all 22, 32, 380, 9mm, 38spl, 40, 357, 44spl, 45, and have used them all,,,
but most often I carry a 38 spl,,,, just seems easier to conceal with enough power
for me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My everyday, everywhere pistol is a Keltec P32 in .32 ACP loaded with 73 gr. FMJ's. My "back up gun" is either a Kahr CM9 or Glock 19, both in 9mm.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since a J-frame AirLite is my favorite carry gun, .357 Magnum is the largest caliber it will handle.
I've been looking for just that, what model # is it?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I've been looking for just that, what model # is it?
It's a 360PD like this one. I'll warn you that in .357 it is a real bear to shoot. When I go to the range, I load .38 specials in it. Even then, it's not really a range gun. But at 14 ounces fully loaded, my carry belt weighs more than the gun. It's easy to carry and super easy to conceal.

26289.jpg

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
My favorite EDC gun is a 1911 when clothing allows. However, on very hot summer day when I'm wearing cargo shorts and a tank top, a 1911 doesn't conceal very well and I switch to a S&W 642 .38+P in my front pocket.:wave:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Readily acknowledging it's not for everyone, for a one caliber do it all, I like the 44 mag. It works for me because I handload, though. Out in the boonies, I like a 240 grain SWC traveling at about 1000 fps. For regular concealed carry, I like Speer's short barrel 44 mag Gold Dot at about 1100 fps. If I feel the need to impress someone, Remington 180 JSPs at 1600 fps grab the attention of those nearby. I'm a large mammal, but I don't find a 4" barrel 629 that hard to conceal IWB with a Theis holster and pants one size larger than I need.

But again, I readily acknowledge it's MY favorite. I shoot a lot of ammo out of my 629, and it takes a lot of practice to get it right. It's certainly not for everyone.

·
Registered
172 Posts
new to CC have great 1911 commander size but I'm a small man 5'6 and have a short torso to boot; even with my commander size IWB is rough with my dimensions. I do also have a small 380 which literally could fit in my pocket and I do have a cheap suede pocket holster.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Glock 36 45acp 6+1

1 - 20 of 67 Posts