Defensive Carry banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Finding Your Roots

Tuesday evenings on PBS.

DNA and records searches give interesting backgrounds on well-known and not-so-well known celebrities.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Finding Your Roots

Tuesday evenings on PBS.

DNA and records searches give interesting backgrounds on well-known and not-so-well known celebrities.
How is it that every celebrity has famous ancestors?
If I checked back in my ancestry all I would find is probably some shepherds and peasants. No Kings or Dukes or famous explorers.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
How is it that every celebrity has famous ancestors?
If I checked back in my ancestry all I would find is probably some shepherds and peasants. No Kings or Dukes or famous explorers.
To the contrary, very few have famous ancestors. But most have a very interesting family history, going back centuries in some cases. It's surprising the amount of info that this program can bring out 5 or more generations back.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Our go-to shows recently:

Elementary (the Johnny Lee Miller version of Sherlock Holmes).
The Americans (russian spies in the '80s).
Counterpart (J.K. Simmons, a little bit sci-fi and a little bit spy show)
The Expanse (very well-done sci-fi, but you need to give it about half the first season before it really gets going).

·
Premium Member
2,834 Posts
I can't believe with all the old curmudgeons here (me included), nobody has said HOGAN'S HEROES!

·
Super Moderator
16,153 Posts
I have my TV viewing all planned out now to last awhile; I just purchased the entire “Tales from the Crypt” series, all seven seasons.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Our go-to shows recently:

Elementary (the Johnny Lee Miller version of Sherlock Holmes).
The Americans (russian spies in the '80s).
Counterpart (J.K. Simmons, a little bit sci-fi and a little bit spy show)
The Expanse (very well-done sci-fi, but you need to give it about half the first season before it really gets going).
The Americans was one of my favorites.

So I should keep trying on the Expanse? I have been stuck on episode 2.

·
Registered
864 Posts

The Expanse did a poor job giving its audience easy accessibility to its fictional universe. At least it was that way for me. I began to catch on as to what was going on and who the characters were later in the season. Maybe you could give it a little more time. It's like fungus, it could grow on you.

Reactions: MMinSC

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

Obviously I don't know you, but that would be my recommendation.

They kind of drop you in the middle of their universe the first few episodes, without any explanation, but they do a very good job over the remainder of the first season, developing our understanding of who's who and what's what "in universe", without any awkward exposition and purely through character interaction. I watched the first episode, and didn't watch episode 2 until a couple months later. By episode 7 or 8 of season 1, though, I was hooked. I binged the rest.

I would venture to say that, if you liked Firefly at all, you will like The Expanse a lot. They seem to have loosely ripped off Firefly a little bit for some of the setup and character relationships on board the Rocinante, but not in a "ripoff" sort of way. Much more in a "this was a great setup, so let's do homage to it" kinda way, in my opinion. I've watched through the end of season 4, and I would say it's one of the best TV sci-fi series I've watched. If you look on rotten tomatoes, you will find there are many who feel the same...

It's also one of the best sci-fis I've EVER seen (movie or tv) for the "plausibility" of the technology development for how far in the future it is.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Obviously I don't know you, but that would be my recommendation.

They kind of drop you in the middle of their universe the first few episodes, without any explanation, but they do a very good job over the remainder of the first season, developing our understanding of who's who and what's what "in universe", without any awkward exposition and purely through character interaction. I watched the first episode, and didn't watch episode 2 until a couple months later. By episode 7 or 8 of season 1, though, I was hooked. I binged the rest.

I would venture to say that, if you liked Firefly at all, you will like The Expanse a lot. They seem to have loosely ripped off Firefly a little bit for some of the setup and character relationships on board the Rocinante, but not in a "ripoff" sort of way. Much more in a "this was a great setup, so let's do homage to it" kinda way, in my opinion. I've watched through the end of season 4, and I would say it's one of the best TV sci-fi series I've watched. If you look on rotten tomatoes, you will find there are many who feel the same...

It's also one of the best sci-fis I've EVER seen (movie or tv) for the "plausibility" of the technology development.
That's a good explanation. Thanks. It SEEMS like something I would enjoy. Good to know to just stick with it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Brooklyn 99
The first couple of seasons of Vikings
Diners Drive ins and Dives... dont' know why, but i enjoy it.
Wheel Dealers
Other than that. mostly sports and movies.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
We have found some real gems (for us anyway) lately:

The Crown - the first two seasons are exceptional, the third, not so much.
Justified - we're re-watching it on Hulu and enjoying it more than we did the first time.
Downton Abbey - a great series, if a little unorthodox. This would have never been watched years ago. The full-length movie is good too.
A Royal Night Out - watch this great movie before starting The Crown.
Chernobyl - The ultimate horror series - IMHO.
Air Disasters - on The Smithsonian Channel.

Just a note: If you don't have a ROKU, you're missing it. I recommend the more expensive box-type Ultra version. Why? Because it has a microSD port and a USB port which you can plug a huge external disk drive into (for simplicity and functionality format the HDD for FAT32 operation and use a powered USB Hub). I have over 100 movies that are very hard to find, and for which I only have a DVD, recorded onto this drive. I can pack the whole thing up to travel when needed.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts