Defensive Carry banner

What is your most asked question while open carrying?

• Are you a police officer?

Votes: 55 46.6%
  • Is that a real gun?

Votes: 19 16.1%
  • *Awkward silence*

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Other, please specify

Votes: 27 22.9%
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I went to a laundrymat/gas station to do some laundry. I was carrying at the time and got some looks. I had to go into the gas station to get some change and a little kid and his mother saw me walk in. After a minute or two, she came and said her son was wondering if I was a cop. I said I wasn't and she wondered why I was able to carry a pistol on me. I informed her that, in this state, a civilian can legally open carry a pistol on them with out a permit. Her kid (who I really liked btw) told me that my gun looked cool. I smiled and thanked him. He seems like the kind of kid that will grow up to become a proud, gun carrying American. Hopefully his parents will teach him proper usage of guns and not just tell them that all guns are bad except ones used by police. Basically, I made this post to see what the most asked question that is asked to open carriers.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I've only OC'd a couple times and both times I was asked "are you a cop or something"? :rolleyes:

Yeah, "or something"! :rofl:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I open carry often since it is legal with a permit here in TN. About a month ago I was approached by three different people all in the same evening, 2 shoppers and an asst manager at our local Walmart. Each one independent of the other asked me the same question, "Are you a policeman?" :blink:

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
I open carry often since it is legal with a permit here in TN. About a month ago I was approached by three different people all in the same evening, 2 shoppers and an asst manager at our local Walmart. Each one independent of the other asked me the same question, "Are you a policeman?" :blink:
Did you ask them if they were going to offer a donut bribe if you were? :slap:

Sorry guys, just kidding!

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
I have most often been asked "is that a real gun?" I always think to myself that that is a stupid question. But I always try answer as politely as I can.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I have only had 2 people say anything to me, both the same day, both at the same place.

First I was not wearing my cover shirt and OC is legal, my uncle asked me what was on my hip and I told him, and even showed him my CHL. Not that I had to, just wanted to let him see it since he did not know they existed.

Second, a guy at his house said "you sure dont believe in concealed carry" and I told him I did not have to conceal, then he asked if I had a permit which i responded in the affirmative and then he asked me if it was a .45, which i replied that it was much smaller and left it at that.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I have most often been asked "is that a real gun?" I always think to myself that that is a stupid question. But I always try answer as politely as I can.
Yes. :image035:

Then walk away.

To be honest I really don't respond much anymore depending on the persons attitude. The most common question I get is "Are you a cop"? usually followed with a "you can do that"?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Why do you have a gun?

easily the most asked question when I'm out of state and open carrying.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
"Is that a Springfield XD 45 Compact with 4-inch barrel, 10-round mag, grip safety and white lettering in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

:danceban:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Awkward Silence

Since nothing has been said to me...yet.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
The only time I have open carried is at the gun range during a tournament. The only comment I have had was

"Gosh. I thought Glocks were accurate. Why can't you hit :banned: ?"

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Most of the time people fail to notice, but those who do ask

"Are you allowed to carry a gun around like that?"

I just say "Yes open carry is legal in Alaska!" One guy said "I should get one!" I assume he meant buying a handgun which is cool. I can only hope he becomes proficient in its use.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
"Are you a police officer?"

Which is always met with a friendly "Nope, just an ordinary citizen."

Which opens up the "how can you carry a gun then?" and a great discussion on how NC is an OC state, how to get your CCHP, yes I am an instructor, yes my company does do Concealed Carry classes, here's my card. ;)

·
Registered
631 Posts
"Are you a police officer?"

Which is always met with a friendly "Nope, just an ordinary citizen."

Which opens up the "how can you carry a gun then?" and a great discussion on how NC is an OC state, how to get your CCHP, yes I am an instructor, yes my company does do Concealed Carry classes, here's my card. ;)
Hey, welcome back Bunny. How was your "vacation?"

As for me, my most often asked question is more a statement. To wit; "That looks like a gun." I usually tell them that it IS a gun. To which the next question is "Can you take it out of the holster so I can look at it?" :rolleyes:

"Uhh, no." :theyareontome:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Open Carry is not legal in South Carolina :rant:;
except on your own property.
Which is a silly thing to say since you can hunt in SC and in order to hunt you need to be openly carrying a firearm. Since hunting is not the exclusive province of rifles, openly carrying a handgun in SC IS legal.

So, what you need to do is give your state legislature a bit of perspective and get rid of the "no open carry" stuff.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts