Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the state is beginning to open up (and 3 day weekend coming, for those of us that are working). I was hoping the range in our area would open for use, so I have been checking everyday. I had plan to take Friday off, (still going to) and maybe go out to the range.

I normally like to make it a 1/2 to full day. Rifle range first, (100 yard zeroing range) and the Pistol (plinking range), normally about 5 hours total.

But with the new recommendations, looks like you are only getting two hours by appointment.

Screenshots from our local range (Military Managed Range). Facebook page.

IMG_1025.JPG

IMG_1026.JPG

I don't know if I am going to pack all my gear (target stands, gear bag) and drive all the way out there, (only about 20 min. drive), for 2 hours. I know, I know, range time is range time, beggars can't be choosers, but dang.

What are your NEW local range policies?

·
Registered
8,115 Posts
The range I use was just opened this past Friday. Keep in mind, they have two full-size, lane-type ranges so they have a lot of lanes. Their additional rules are:
+ Every other shooting lane should be vacant.
+ Guests will not be allowed to share a lane, unless they reside in the same household, for social distancing purposes.
+ If there is a wait time for lane rentals, we ask that you wait in your car until you are notified that your lane is ready.
+ Please socially distance yourself while waiting in line.

Also, they are starting courses again tomorrow. 10 participant limit per course. This is interesting: The basic pistol and basic rifle courses over the next few weeks are already booked to capacity and those are the only courses booked to capacity. Is this new "pandemic" gun buyers trying to figure out where the bullets go in and where they come out?

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
We have a public outdoor range that belongs to the county. Open 24 hours a day. No locked gate. No range masters. People are free to do as they please (and they do!).

Most people seem to be maintaining social distancing. Nobody wears a mask at the range.

·
Super Moderator
18,262 Posts
No change. There's sunshine and fresh breezes available at the local range. Common sense too.

Range is a private club range. Folks are scarcely out there except the weeks before deer season. I generally have the place to myself and I have decreed that I don't wear a mask while shooting.

Well ... there is a USPSA match there third Sunday of each month, but those boys aren't of a humor to indulge either a virus or the cowering in place in order to avoid it.

·
Premium Member
7,149 Posts
Private club for us. The outdoor ranges have stayed open (we have never had RO's on any of them) but have not been crowded, but they rarely are in any case. The clubhouse was closed for weeks and recently reopened with a limit of how many were allowed inside at one time. Groups were mostly cancelled, but are not resuming with limits on how many can actively participate. Some popular ones like the "5 stand" shotgun group are limiting the number of shooters at one time and asking others to wait in their cars. I think they also may be asking people to sign up for various times so there is not a big backup of people waiting.

What has been most interesting to me is that the basic NRA classes were not cancelled and the classroom part of those are held inside a building which is not the clubhouse building itself. The instructor actually rents the space from the club so I'm guessing that he has his own rules. Not sure about that part though.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
No changes, our FOP range stayed open throughout the COVID 19.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
I have three ranges fairly close to me that I have shot at in the past. I only know about one of them at this time, a private Club with multiple shooting sports, including indoor and outdoor archery; trap, skeet, and sporting clays; action and bullseye pistol; muzzle loading; utility; and rifle. The shotgun ranges, archery, and rifle ranges were closed until two weeks ago. When they re-opened there were social distancing rules in effect. As I'm a Range Safety Officer for the rifle range I know most about what is been done there. Every other bench, social distancing rules in effect, same household only allowed use of one bench, no congregating waiting for benches, RSO wears mask and gloves, and RSO sanitizes benches after use.

·
Registered
406 Posts
My outdoor range, a Sportsman's Club = no change, my wife and I have been able to use it every other week so far during the Chi Com Flu fiasco.

My indoor range = they have made some changes, but I really haven't paid attention to them because I won't be using their facility until Nov/Dec, and I am also thinking of joining a different indoor range this year, time will tell.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm a Life Member for one Sportsmen's Club but its an (8) hour or so drive one-way from here. With that said I am also a land share owner of a shooting association which is about an hour drive one-way. With that said also, I shoot on my property which is a (10) minute or so walk from the residence.

·
Registered
10,857 Posts
Every other lane closed. Spots marked on the floor for distance while in line.

Another range now has one door for in and another for out...when you enter they ask you to wash your hands.

Masks are not mandatory, but I have worn one. I treat the fogging shooting glasses as another stressor. :tongue:

·
Premium Member
6,708 Posts
My range is an indoor range, and the current policy is WAIT! Wait until it is rebuilt. Last year some schmuck rented a class III weapon and decided he wanted to see what tracer rounds looked like, even though the range had signs all over specifying "No Tracer Rounds!"

Yes, you guessed it, the idiot caught the backstop on fire and burned down the range. Fortunately, the LGS attached, sustained no damage. After 6 months of foot dragging by the local govt agencies, reconstruction has begun. Since City Hall could not regulate the range out of existence, they required the exterior must be preserved, which caused another several months delay for the architects to get plans approved.

I'm guessing mid-summer to early fall to have range completed.

·
Registered
8,964 Posts
We have a public outdoor range that belongs to the county. Open 24 hours a day. No locked gate. No range masters. People are free to do as they please (and they do!).

Most people seem to be maintaining social distancing. Nobody wears a mask at the range.
I call it the Sandbox Range.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
Its been business as usual at the range by me throughout the whole "pandemic".

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Private club outdoor range for me like others here. No restrictions except maintaining social distance and no club meetings. I go during the week and rarely see anyone else. The weather has been lousy lately, either cold and windy or rainy and windy, but I've been getting there every week or so.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
I think our National Forrest ranges are still closed, our indoor range is by prior appt. only and there is a maximum time per visit.

I'm out for a class this coming weekend in WV that was capped at 10 in a huge facility, (Shadow Hawk).

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
SatCong, we have plenty of BLM and State Land where we can go to shoot, too. I presume that’s what we are looking at in your photo?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I belong to a 1400 acre sportsmen’s club that only closed for a few days in the beginning. All events are cancelled until June 1.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts