Defensive Carry banner
301 - 320 of 337 Posts

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
I'm seriously considering some sort of bullpup 12ga mag fed semi-auto. Anyone care to talk me out of one?
Sure. Don’t do it, a bull pup will not allow you to use a defensive shotgun in the most efficient manner; “stretching the gun”, to remove recoil from high brass loads, and make fast follow up shots.

To stretch the gun you float the stock gently against the shoulder, pull rearward with your shooting hand, push forward on the fore end. Check out the Beretta 1301T, they are amazing and will serve you much better.

A magazine fed SG can’t be topped off by loading the tube at every opportunity.
If it’s just for play have at it, but magazine fed shotguns never made sense to me.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Sure. Don’t do it, a bull pup will not allow you to use a defensive shotgun in the most efficient manner; “stretching the gun”, to remove recoil from high brass loads, and make fast follow up shots.

To stretch the gun you float the stock gently against the shoulder, pull rearward with your shooting hand, push forward on the fore end. Check out the Beretta 1301T, they are amazing and will serve you much better.

A magazine fed SG can’t be topped off by loading the tube at every opportunity.
If it’s just for play have at it, but magazine fed shotguns never made sense to me.
I shall make due note of that. I'm also considering just getting a magazine extension for the 870, which may be the better investment.
Oddly enough, I think that I could manage recoil, even from magnums, in a bullpup configuration. Especially with the action tucked between my chest and shoulder. Who knows, I guess I should just see if I can test one before I buy it.

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
I shall make due note of that. I'm also considering just getting a magazine extension for the 870, which may be the better investment.
Oddly enough, I think that I could manage recoil, even from magnums, in a bullpup configuration. Especially with the action tucked between my chest and shoulder. Who knows, I guess I should just see if I can test one before I buy it.
Oh, you definitely could manage it, but efficiency is the key.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Oh, you definitely could manage it, but efficiency is the key.
There's the crux of the matter. I like my wife's 870. 18" barrel, full stock, 4 +1 and it will take 3" shells. The appeal of the bullpup configuration is the compactness of it. Inside the house or outside inside the walled yard, I think that it could be an advantage. Like I said, I suppose I just have to go to a range, rent one and try it.

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
There's the crux of the matter. I like my wife's 870. 18" barrel, full stock, 4 +1 and it will take 3" shells. The appeal of the bullpup configuration is the compactness of it. Inside the house or outside inside the walled yard, I think that it could be an advantage. Like I said, I suppose I just have to go to a range, rent one and try it.
Have you tried the Magpul stock with as few spacers as you can get away with? I’m 6’2” and run one with zero, it makes for a fast, easy to handle gun.
A short, compact stock on a fighting SG is really sweet and cuts the size of the gun down considerably.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Have you tried the Magpul stock with as few spacers as you can get away with? I’m 6’2” and run one with zero, it makes for a fast, easy to handle gun.
A short, compact stock on a fighting SG is really sweet and cuts the size of the gun down considerably.
My wife's 870 fits just fine. Love the thing. It's just that I've always liked the bullpup design, for any long gun. It just makes sense.

·
Premium Member
7,068 Posts
Picked this up today: Full size generation one S&W M&P 45 with external safety. Came with two 10rd mags, I bought an additional three such mags plus a high cap 14 rd mag. I also got an ultra comfy IWB holster from Bullseye Holsters.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I decided that I wanted a rolling block .22lr. That said, I was having trouble finding any (at price I was willing to pay). That said, I decided on a falling block.

Yes, it is a little rough. My only plans for it are to refinish the stock and replace some of the ugly screws.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Back in the 1911 platform! Picked up a Kimber Custom LW Nightstar in .45 ACP. Fin, Feather & Fur had it in stock $699. Haven't shot it yet but plan its baptism this coming Wednesday. TIGHT fit everywhere is an understatement! Grips are too slick for my liking - ordered Magpul grips from Midway. Thought about wrap-arounds but changed my mind to the Magpul's. Pics and range report when I get a chance to let her dance.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
One of these two, don’t remember which…

Beretta Bobcat .32 ACP

Colt 1911 .45 ACP

May have bought the Beretta first but brought the Colt home first…

…I probably should buy another gun so I can answer that question definitively.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
No craptastic-plastic for me. A Nighthawk TRS in .45ACP. The grips are uninspiring, but that will change.

301 - 320 of 337 Posts