Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's it like in where y'all live? How's the economy? Are you going out? What's open?

I'm in Charleston. Everything is open now except hair salons/barber shops and gyms. They both open officially on Monday. I know some gyms just said the heck with our king and opened anyway. Other than that things are almost normal. I stopped by the local biker bar yesterday evening for some cocktails and a steak. All my friends were there and they all miracously survived the plague! It was nice to be out and socializing. There are a lot of rules for bars/restaurants but from the placing I have been, most seem to be not worrying about them too much. Maybe a little kabuki theatre to keep the CoronaKarens happy(or at least quiet).

Many stupid things are still in place however. The playgrounds are closed. Very inconvenient for me with an almost three year old. Our neghborhood is full of parks and we can probably walk to about 12 of them. Can't play though. State, county and city parks are open but you are not allowed to have fun there. Any section that may contain fun is roped off- play equipment, picnic tables, etc. Mostly you can just wander on trails. The fishing piers have been open for awhile. I was able to do some crabbing and fishing the other day. That was nice of King Henry to allow us peons the use of his ocean, rivers and bays. Beaches are a stupid mess. We have three island towns. One is completey closed to non residents. I will never spend a penny there, although I will continue to use the beach when they decide to share. The other two have restrictions and you must keep moving on the beach. Not allowed to sit and fish or just plane sit. Only allowed to walk or run. I am not sure how eveyone moving is supposed to stop the spread of a virus. Seems like if you sat in one spot you would notcome into contact with anyone. Skatepark is closed. Not sure why.

·
Registered
34,024 Posts
Definitely not normal here. While restaurants can reopen with "conditions," many (most?) have not, presumably because they can't make money when restricted to 25%b occupancy. Can't blame them on that. Bars still can't open. Places like Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks are drive through only, but I won't wait in a long line at either. It's all stupid rules here still. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

·
Registered
34,024 Posts
Our communist governor is saying when she lets restaurants and bars open, that they must get the name, address, phone number, and email address of customers for COVID-19 tracking.
No phone, no email. She can kiss it.

I can't remember where, but some place restaurants can open with reservations only so they know who at where and when if there's an outbreak. But I still wouldn't give out a phone number or email. Never.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Around here almost everything is still closed but our cowering governor may allow a few places to reopen next week, we shall see.
My brother lives in Maggie Valley. He said some places have just been opening up on their own. Must be something to do there, our family cabin is rented for several weeks.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
It is not too bad here. Economy seems to be OK. I think it will hit in late summer when stimulus money runs out. Our barber shops and salons are able to open with a lot of restrictions. Restaurants are opening on Monday but still no indoor seating and restrictions with outdoor seating. No bars are allowed to open yet. Some might not ever even after things are lifted. We do not have any young kids so playgrounds are not a big concern although my wife took our granddaughter to our local school where there is one and it is all closed up. Campgrounds are open with restrictions. We are homebodies anyway so has not changed our night life too much. I usually ump games after work and on weekends and that obviously is not happening now and might not all summer so that means even more time. We are planning on getting takeout tomorrow night which will make 4 nights over 8 weeks which is something we hardly ever do. Figured we would try at least a little keeping those places going. We did get one Sunday afternoon about a week and a half ago with decent weather so we could shoot in a neighbor's field. Other than getting very well stocked up on firewood and spending some quiet time with my wife.

Our state is near the bottom as far as cases and deaths and they are fairly concentrated near the Massachusetts border. I am pretty sure our county is Covid free at the moment. Have had less than 50 cases and I believe all that did not die have recovered and deaths have been limited. I do not really agree with us having to be restricted based on what happened in NYC or LA.

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
What Msgt/ret said.

My 14 year old Labrador was straining to breathe this morning. Started calling Veterinarians before 7AM. My local Veterinarian couldn't see her until Friday. Some guys not answering their phones. Finally got a hold of her very first Veterinarian an hour away from us. He made time to see her. Spent the day waiting in the parking lot. They conducted the paper part of business outside. After exam, Xrays, etc. he diagnosed pneumonia and we brought her home - $700 poorer. He did say he was glad we brought her in. She might not have lasted until her regular (and former) Vet could have seen her on Friday.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
In Alabama the beaches are open, restaurants can have dine in at 50% of fire capacity, gyms, barbershops, hair salons, are all open. Social distancing 6 ft still applies. Gun store business has slowed somewhat. So as we say here Roll Tide!:biggrin2:

Reactions: airslot and MMinSC

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Some restaurants open for carry out or delivery only.

Barber shops/salons opened last Friday.

Gyms not open yet, but some might next week.

Schools to remain closed for the foreseeable future. The local college won't reopen until Sept.

My big concern is that when we get C19 under control here, it will simply cross the border and cause a bad rebound.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Its simply dependent on what part of the state one resides in. The Governors mandated guide lines are simply being ignored by the vast majority of our county residents'. There is a Church I know of which held indoor services last Sunday and is going to do this again come Sunday. I believe the Sherriff's Dept. simply ignored what was occurring. The majority of the population seems to be in revolt.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
NE Tx
Not half bad. things are pretty much normal as far as the new routine goes. same old thing. Some things stocked up and some not. gas is cheap and no one is coming or going much. everyone working from home who can. seems like the supply chain has finally gotten almost back to normal.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Not good, not bad. Its like everyone is holding their breath here. (Northern Michigan) We haven't seen the beginning of the financial downturn hit bad yet. Many towns depend on tourism, and that's gonna be tight this year.
As far as liberty goes, well that's another story. The Governor (if that's what you can call her) has overstepped common sense along time ago, and she's pushing closer to overstepping the law as well.
Unfortunately, the GOP legislators haven't done a whole lot about it yet.
Mainly it varies county by county. Rough times for sure.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
AZ everthing should be open by this weekened ..Gyms today ... Movie theathers on Sat

Im frankly a bit worried .. The orders he issues have not bit so a lot of places are tossing social distating and mask etc so a lot of bars are packing people right on top of each other ..

And yeah all the vally people are pourng up north much to the anger of the locals

·
Premium Member
7,365 Posts
Many businesses can reopen, but some are not because they can only do so at a capacity that results in a net loss.

The constant barrage of apocalyptic scenarios and horrors has inculcated an irrational fear in most people to the point that they are afraid to engage in activities even when taking extra steps for personal hygiene (washing hands, surfaces, etc.).

In short, even though we are open, our populace is still cowering in fear.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts