Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got back from visiting my dad and he asked me if I had any
22 ammo. I told him that I had some and he gave me some little
boxes of "Peters" (never heard of them, I know that they are made in Arkansas) and a few boxes of Winchester.

I looked at the Winchester boxes and I came across these...

Click here...

What would you use these for? Are they old? The store they came from is called "otasco" and they went for $4.49 a box! :aargh4:

The Peters 22 is a Rem brand ammo.

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
.22 Shot Shells

Look like Old Style crimped rimfire shot shells to me.
Likely filled with a bit of lead bird shot.
Good for killing snakes & mice at very very CLOSE range.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
If thats what they are QK ive never seen them done like that only the shotshells with caps be intersted to find out though

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I think yes as QK says - and reading box legend, old style shot shells. Probably filled with #12 ''dust shot'' - and useful close up for snakes and rodents.

They do otherwise look similar to some blanks I have still for a ''Super Dynamic'' old nail gun - that's unlikely tho!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys are good knowing what kind of shot they have in them without even looking at the box. lol...

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
they are old birdshot ( no 12 a mentioned if memory serves me ) they will lead the hell out of a barrell if you shoot them , we used to use them for vermin ( birds ) in our outbuildings at night , go out with a flashlight and the trusty ruger single six and shoot them off the roost when i was a kid , no it isnt fair but it also soves a problem and wont perferate a tin roof on your shop

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Might be something I shouldn't just throw into the box then. lol...

I'm wondering if dad knows that they are different. I better tell him or he will wonder why he isn't hitting anything far away. LOL...

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
I haven't seen .22 shot shells like that in over 40 years. I was a Boy Scout and in 1964 I went to the National Jamboree in Valley Forge, PA. One of the things we did while there was get some marksmanship training. Included in this was shooting clays with a .22. We used the shot shells just like the ones in your picture. It was only later that I figured out how much easier it would have been to hit those clays if we had been using a shotgun.:yup:

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
old school Rat shot.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Great for killing snakes her in Florida. Very short range also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Arkie
I remember using these .22's in a smoth bore .22 (shotgun?) in boyscout camp learning to shoot clay birds. (in the mid 60's). Shot shels for sure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts