Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious which I should get? What is stock? Would you or have you put something other than stock lb? Have you seen a difference?
Also, there's ssguiderods.com. has anyone used them? Would you have a preference between the two?
Thanks

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh. Guess I should've looked a little further. Says 18lb stock and 20lb recommended. I'm guessing that would give you less felt recoil, but a little harder slide to rack?

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
I guess my first question would be why are you replacing it? A two pound heavier spring is not going to change your felt recoil much but it might cause cycling issues if you're using downloaded or low recoil loads. Understanding why you're thinking you need to change it might help someone offer some advice.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I thought about replacing mine in my SR9C, but decided against it.
The stock works so well, if anything I might buy another from Ruger. Very cheap.
Some folks find removing the mag disconnect helps.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input. I guess no real reason for change. Just thought if it helped it run more smooth for IDPA, it might be worth it. Maybe not. What about their SS striker indicator? Has anyone changed that and felt like it helped smooth the trigger out any? I guess I don't really have money to throw away either, so maybe I should just keep the whole thing stock.
Thanks again. I appreciate the candor.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Thanks for your input. I guess no real reason for change. Just thought if it helped it run more smooth for IDPA, it might be worth it. Maybe not. What about their SS striker indicator? Has anyone changed that and felt like it helped smooth the trigger out any? I guess I don't really have money to throw away either, so maybe I should just keep the whole thing stock.
Thanks again. I appreciate the candor.
Honestly, unless it's broke, it's generally best to not try to fix it. I wouldn't change a recoil spring just because. If you're running loads that barely make PF for IDPA and you're having cycling issues, then yeah, you might have to make a change to a lighter one but I wouldn't horse with it just because you think it might make stuff better; it won't. Whatever money you were spending on that stuff, put into ammo and run it just the way it came. The first thing that you should focus on improving is the guy behind the trigger; the gun is rarely the weakest link.

Keep up with the IDPA, it'll definitely give you lots of practice and make you a better shooter.

·
Banned
747 Posts
I went through this faze as a new gun owner years back. Lesson learned? Don't fix it til it's broken. It works fine. Ruger has a good warranty and will even send you a brand new one, free of charge, when you wear yours out. Stick to stock.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Thanks. I haven't shot yet but plan on it this summer.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's a lot of fun and a great way to expose yourself to things you may not really work on much. I think the people are the big bonus though. You'll meet a lot of folks that are very friendly and genuinely interested in helping you improve.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts