Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread I've been discussing various shotguns for HD use. One thing we really didn't touch on is good tactical light setups for shotguns.

Surefire makes a several forend shotgun lights that look promising. Are there other or better options out there?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Surefire doesn't make a foregrip for my Benelli Supernova. I'm using a new Streamlight TLR-1 C4 LED, rated at 120 lumens, with a Mesa Tactical mag extension clamp and attached pic rail for the mount.

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
Another vote for Streamlight. Seems I'm living in the dark ages here, but I still depend on my M-3 and M-6.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
While the Surefire dedicated forearms are nice, they add weight, are expensive, and IMHO aren’t as versatile as other options.

I use an Insight M3X on my Benelli with a magazine tube mount. It’s a solid light, lightweight and easily detachable, it also won’t break the bank as the cost is pretty reasonable.

I also have:

Surfire X300 on my Colt 6920
Surfire X200B on my Sig 220St
And a “spare” Insight M3

The best part about these type lights is the ability to move from weapon to weapon or remove quickly when not needed. They are equally effective on long-guns as they are handguns.

I would go with an LED option if available due to the extended battery life. My Benelli doubles as my muskrat/beaver control gun, so I get a lot of use out of it. I’m still on the same bulb after hundreds of rounds, but it will eat batteries. Anything in the 65-125 lumen range will work indoors, IMHO anything over 125 is too much of a good thing inside.

Chuck

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While the Surefire dedicated forearms are nice, they add weight, are expensive, and IMHO aren’t as versatile as other options.

I use an Insight M3X on my Benelli with a magazine tube mount. It’s a solid light, lightweight and easily detachable, it also won’t break the bank as the cost is pretty reasonable.

I also have:

Surfire X300 on my Colt 6920
Surfire X200B on my Sig 220St
And a “spare” Insight M3

The best part about these type lights is the ability to move from weapon to weapon or remove quickly when not needed. They are equally effective on long-guns as they are handguns.

I would go with an LED option if available due to the extended battery life. My Benelli doubles as my muskrat/beaver control gun, so I get a lot of use out of it. I’m still on the same bulb after hundreds of rounds, but it will eat batteries. Anything in the 65-125 lumen range will work indoors, IMHO anything over 125 is too much of a good thing inside.

Chuck
I was thinking the same thing about the Surefire option. The light is a dedicated shotgun light and can't be used for anything else. I think I'll opt for a magazine tube mount as well.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I mounted a LED G2 SureFire on my 870 mag tube. Make sure you get a real good universal clamp or the light will slip & slide during slug firing.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Have a mossberg 500. I put a side saddle
sheel carrier on then got a flashlight mount
that goes into and clamps on one of the shell slots.
Very sturdy mount.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts